Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 06:51PM

That's right! Shaq O'Neal, the former NBA player, who also earned a doctoral degree in education from Barry University, recently stated just that (and his logic is impeccable!).

“'It’s true. The Earth is flat. The Earth is flat. Yes, it is. Listen, there are three ways to manipulate the mind — what you read, what you see and what you hear. In school, first thing they teach us is, "Oh, Columbus discovered America," but when he got there, there were some fair-skinned people with the long hair smoking on the peace pipes. So, what does that tell you? Columbus didn’t discover America. So, listen, I drive from coast to coast, and this s*** is flat to me. I’m just saying. I drive from Florida to California all the time, and it’s flat to me. I do not go up and down at a 360-degree angle, and all that stuff about gravity, have you looked outside Atlanta lately and seen all these buildings? You mean to tell me that China is under us? China is under us? It’s not. The world is flat.'”

http://www.si.com/extra-mustard/2017/03/19/shaquille-oneal-shaq-earth-flat-truther

"When satellite imagery got brought up, Shaq said, 'Oh, satellite imagery — that could be drawn or made up.'”

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/shaquille-oneal-shaq-earth-flat-kyrie-irving-podcast

Mormons are so lucky to have modern-day prophets to assure them that, as they were probably taught in grade school, the Earth really IS a globe:

"President Spencer W. Kimball taught: 'The earth is spherical. If all the ... people in the world think it flat, they are in error. That is an absolute truth, and all the arguing in the world will not change it.'"

https://www.lds.org/manual/doctrine-and-covenants-student-manual/section-90-100/section-93-truth-is-knowledge-of-things--?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 10:24PM by lurking in.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:03PM

You know why you only can see eight miles out on a clear dat at sea? The curve of the earth. If you go high enough in an airplane you can see the curve of the earth. Sorry Dr. Shaq you are wrong.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:13PM

Maybe if he stands on his tippy toes he can see the curvature of the Earth.

I suppose he never aimed a satellite TV dish.

It's refreshing to have a GA say something that's actually true.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:05PM

In case the broadcasting gig doesn't pan out he can always start a church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 07:27PM

Well, there goes any respect I had for O'Neal.

He sounds like another dumm phuque !

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 12:02AM

Maybe He'll start talking about the Antarctica secret base checking out the ancient ruins from millions of years ago linked to Nazi exploration and aliens AND the existence of the moon being a space outpost/base.

yep it's out there
moon base
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjHhIVMLeBg

Antartica drivel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMybJ-HGUOo

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:11PM

My father has the same degree and believes in seer stones. I'm starting to lose respect for the EdD (The weaker sister of the PhD).

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:15PM

IN ~

on flat earth thred ~

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:18PM

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:23PM

Looks like Shaq is just as poor in science and logic as he was in free throw shooting.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:26PM

Sahhhhh-nappppp!

Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:23PM

I recently took a genius test. It should be called a humility test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9YVPF8nHc4

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:50PM

Oh, my, I do hope that he is joking. Really, he must be. There is so much in his statement that is ludicrous. (By the way, no matter how you spell it, ludicrous always looks wrong.)

He is right about China not being under us, though. No place in the lower 48 states is directly opposite (antipodal to) more land. It's water on the other side, no matter where you are. Sadly, I am beginning to suspect that he is right about this for all of the wrong reasons....

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 01:44AM

Yes, Shaq is the man, he even sounds smart on those general commercials. I will say this though as I've said before its a cool concept when you see the drawing of it.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 06:50AM

something in that quote made me stop and do a double take. "I drive from coast to coast" --- isn't 'coast to coast' a nutcase paranormal, conspiracy theory radio show?
coincidence?

To my shame I have a relative, on Facebook, who links this sort of stuff, sometimes.
He loves to argue and keeps referring to original sources - like youtube videos and online 'Pravda' articles
[Despite being English he is also a great trump Supporter]

Posted by: escapee ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:26PM

What a dumb ass.

Other Susan

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:39PM

I know what!!!

If we got a really, really long pole--at least eight miles--and put a bubble level on it ...

..no ... that won't work.

Never mind!

:D

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 11:48PM

Wait! Wait!

If we Hold to The Rod, The I-I-I-urn Rod, and walk in a straight line from the coast ...

Never mind!

:D

Posted by: Godzilla ( )
Date: March 21, 2017 01:29AM

"You know what isn't flat? A basketball isn't flat!"

Posted by: brefots ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 05:21AM

He drives from coast to coast and doesn't notice that he has to reset his clock by several hours? The fact that day and night isn't at the same time on the whole earth very easily demonstrates a flat earth to be impossible. If he can't understand that then one wonders how he got a driver's license, people with such poor spatial skills shouldn't be allowed to drive.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 10:27AM

He drives with the general so he's all good.

Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 11:12AM

So the sun is spherical. So is the moon, Jupiter,Venus, Mars and every other star or planet that you can see in the night sky. But the earth is flat....yeah right.

This guy is up in planes all the time. I can't imagine that he never got a window seat.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 11:32AM

Saying the Earth is flat is much less ridiculous than saying the church is true. Nobody's life goes into turmoil when you change your mind and decide it's spherical.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 11:42AM

He ain't entirely wrong, you see. From space, it's round. From Wyoming, it's flat.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 11:56AM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> He ain't entirely wrong, you see. From space, it's
> round. From Wyoming, it's flat.

:)

But, see, that's the point -- from Wyoming, it's *not* flat. It might look that way if you don't bother to actually pay attention, but if you DO pay attention, you can see that it's NOT flat.

The "curve" works out to about 8 inches per mile. That's not much, but it's certainly observable, measurable, and verifiable. If you bother to pay attention.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:06PM

Nope. Been there. It's flat. Flatter'n hell. Driving on I-80 I could actually see the back of my car ahead.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:15PM

That was me following you. With a mirror on the front of my car to fool you. Glad it worked :)

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 12:12PM

Maybe the Mandala Effect Shaq slipped into our dimension and he's now a dumbass with a degree. Makes as much sense as anything else these days. :/

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1922897,1922930,quote=1

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: March 22, 2017 01:10PM

It's what he learned when he got his advanced degree from Trump University, majoring in Narcissism.......say stupid things to make sure it's always about you. He's learned from the best.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: March 23, 2017 04:20AM

Don't give me this rigmarole:

"The square root of pi, like pi itself, is an irrational number. It can be approximated to four decimal places by 1.7725. The factorial of 1/2 is equal to half of the square root of pi."

Balderdash!

Pie are round. Cornbread is square.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 03/23/2017 07:11AM by steve benson.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.