Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:10PM

One of the numbers TSCC uses for membership growth is children born to members. Recently we had a small reunion of the kids I went to Church with and it seems like over 50% had left the church. My sons keep in touch with their BIC friends from Church and the 50% number seems to be about right or a little low.

If TSCC is losing 50%+ of their BIC members, and are losing from many different age groups, then there is no growth. Perhaps it is all smoke and mirrors.
F
General Conference will need growth in numbers but will it be from babies being born or converts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 11:10PM by themaster.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:28PM

themaster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> General Conference will need growth in numbers but
> will it be from babies being born or converts?

Both. In Africa.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:48PM

My husband still goes to some sacrament meetings (though he no longer believes). He says that it's down by more than half now in the ward; close to 1/3 of what it used to be. He doesn't go to stake meetings, so he doesn't know what's happening there. Neither does he attend the temple. That ward was CROWDED when I used to go! Almost 2/3 gone?

There is no growth in the U.S. Canada, or Europe, no matter what they tell you. There's only a little growth in Latin America, and they will probably fizz off, since the word is getting around. Many Latin Americans with indigenous ancestry become angry when they learn that they are not Lamanites after all. Growth is only among the uneducated.

There is real growth in Western Africa, among people with little education and no internet access at all. As long as they can't find the church's real history and background, the church will continue to grow there.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 12:00AM

Well, now we know why Heavenly Father, in His infinite wisdom, lifted the priesthood ban.

White and Delightsome ain't cuttin' it anymore.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 12:00AM

In its annual statistical report, the church used to publish the number of children blessed and the number of 8-year-olds baptized. I plotted those numbers for all the years they were available. There was always a gap between those blessed and those baptized eight years later. That means parents that were once active enough to have a child blessed no longer cared enough about the church to have their kids baptized. Furthermore, the number of kids blessed was fairly flat even though total claimed church membership went steeply upward. So not only was there a segment of "members" who weren't having their kids baptized, the percentage of church membership who WERE having their kids blessed and baptized was shrinking. Maybe that's why the church stopped publishing those numbers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 12:01AM by Stray Mutt.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 02:28AM

If there was a reunion of the kids I went to church with, i'm afraid that we'd all be exmos. I can't think of one that's still active.

There were a couple of them that died from illnesses that would probably still be active, but the exmos are the ones that are still around and living pretty well from what I see.

On another note, something funny I saw today as I drove past the mormon church.

They have a big blue banner out front telling people to "Find their Ancestors".

Someone had written below it in orange spray paint "BRING A SHOVEL!"

I've been laughing about that all day.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 03:00AM

That's hilarious! I needed that laugh!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 08:48AM

My TBM classmates from the Morridor are pretty divided (the ones I've reconnected with on Facebook.)

I'm guessing app 50/50 are in/out. Of some that are in, they are in name only. Some remain true blue diehard. Most of them whether active or left, are folks that remained inside the Morridor btw.

My hometown demographics have changed quite a bit since I was a kid. After checking its current demographics I see that it's LDS population is still well over 50% of the community. I believe it was much more than that when I was growing up there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 08:49AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 09:55AM

are all still TBM. Any of my so-called friends from high school are still TBM. Neighbor kids I played with are still TBM.

Posted by: dodo ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 10:15AM

I have a Brother in Law who likes to go to Mesquite to gamble. He goes maybe twice a month. He gets a boner telling me how much he wins every time he goes, sometimes just a little and sometimes a lot. But, he is always a winner! He never tells me how much he loses, that doesn't make to the pulpit. I'm pretty sure that the mighty morg is much the same. They report their "winnings" but never their loses. It would be hard to report that you was a loser so they don't.

I'm a BIC but have resigned. All of my family, both sides, are BIC with generations behind that. A few are less active and a few totally inactive, but none have resigned that I know of. I haven't told anyone that I resigned, no need to cause the shunning process to start up and make my life miserable. I imagine that maybe some family members have too, but I don't know.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.