Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:38PM

My heart disease is worse right now, and my Multiple Sclerosis is flaring badly. In an earlier time when I was naive, I would have believed that God was withdrawing His hand of protection and even tweaking my health so that I would suffer. That's what you get for forsaking the True Church and saying negative things against it! Mormons have always believed that people fare badly when they leave the glorious cult. It's the streets for them, overwhelmed by drugs and alcohol! Or they become financially devastated and lose absolutely everything. Or, like me, they get terrible diseases (I had them even when I was TBM). Even now, I still get just a bit of "what if" coming into my head. Didn't Joseph Smith say that wicked apostates get cursed for "kicking against the pricks" and "lifting up the heel against mine anointed"? The Q15 still insinuate this stuff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:06PM

I don't see how telling the truth about a psychologically abusive cult would be offensive to anyone, real or imaginary, who can think clearly.

Some of us apostates are doing better without Mormonism. TSCC leaders try to scare you into staying LDS because the facts are against them. Facts. Remember facts? Those are why we know for sure it was all made up. How many smoking guns do you need?

Colorado and Washington have a treatment for MS. You should look into it. I'm not sure what to do about the (I assume) congestive heart failure, but I have some theories. What state do you live in?

Date: March 18, 2017 06:50PM

Thank you for trying to help. I am feeling much better now than when I wrote this topic. Maybe my flare-up is over with. I get flare-ups now and then, and things seem terrible, but then they are over with and I'm back to myself. When they happen, you feel terrible and then it's easy to feel like God hates you. Many LDS really do believe that God gets his revenge on people who leave the church and say negative things about it on the internet. I am only a very minor voice here in cyberspace; not the type of person that Mormon God would go after to send a message to the rest.

For many years, through the Ensign and other LDS literature, I absorbed the message that leaving the church after once having "known the truth" exacts terrible consequences in the future, Drunken Bum in the Street being the most common example. Also there was complete financial destruction often coupled with a return to the church needing welfare help. There's the hopeless drug addicts, ending up in prison, depression resulting in suicide, and terrible diseases that don't get healed. Many other negative things, too. The Devil does not support his children at the last day! Mormon God will see to that! It takes time to deprogram these messages.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:15PM

Don't go there, brigid. You don't need the stress. Be honest with yourself: your health woes have nothing to do with leaving the cult. You deserve better than their sick myths.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:17PM

Like getbusylivin says,"Don't go there." You did NOTHING to deserve these illnesses.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:40PM

"I would have believed that God was withdrawing His hand of protection and even tweaking my health so that I would suffer."

Those are the actions of a narcissist and also a sadist.

It can be summed up in one descriptive word: bully.

Supposing a Heavenly Father actually had existed, would anyone really want that kind of person as a parent?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:41PM

Brigid,
Time to kick in those critical thinking skills. Medical conditions and diseases happen to all kinds of people, from all backgrounds, etc.

It's got nothing, nada, zero, zip, to do with religion. Mormonism or otherwise.

It's just part of being a living creature. Diseases happen. My SIL has MS, and she isn't religious at all.

The idea that God punishes people is an insidious belief system.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:43PM

Brigid, I'm sorry that you are feeling unwell. I'm going to remind you of the bible verse --

"In that way, you will be acting as true children of your Father in heaven. For he gives his sunlight to both the evil and the good, and he sends rain on the just and the unjust alike." [Matthew 5:45, New Living Translation]

You are one of the just. You are a good person. You in no way "deserve" your afflictions. Anyone who would suggest otherwise would be guilty of unkindness. What is happening to you could happen to any one of us. We could all be struck down by disease five minutes from now, a month from now, or a year from now, regardless of our religious beliefs or lack of belief.

Please know that you have friends on this board who wish you well. If we could cure your diseases we would do just that. Take care of yourself, and please post as often as you need to. We are here for you.

Date: March 18, 2017 06:53PM

Thank you. A message like this really helps me.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:07PM

Okay, so why are mormon general authorities dying on the vine slowly/mercilessly fading into oblivion one after another? As you may recall, they just lost a bunch of the so-called profits in the last few years while they allegedly held the exclusive keys to the holy priesthood of GOD on earth! I ask, why can't they save themselves, never mind anyone else? It's easy, they have no more power than you do to heal the sick! Reality - we all face physical hardships in life whether you are a member of the so-called church/a bold faced apostate who has resigned!

Oops, it is true - they don't have any real power to heal/make whole - do they!? The imaginary priesthood of peep stone, jo smith jr. backdated into the doctrine/covenants in 1835 some six years after the fact is irrelevant, not real/therefore impotent! Oh, and why don't they prophecy like jo smith jr./ brigham young did so many years ago? That's easy - they don't want to be proven wrong consistently like those early founding charlatans of fraudulent mormonism have been! As is obvious here, their so-called religion is in deep trouble! It's abundantly clear - these guys have no delegated, GODLY power/ credibility whatsoever! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 07:12PM by tnurg.

Posted by: TempeX ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 03:31AM

Because Heaven doesn't want them
And Heck is afraid they will try to take it over...

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:22PM

TSCC gave us those subliminal messages all the time--what hell would befall us if we left the church.

They hypnotized us with those thoughts as we nodded off in their meaningless meetings.

Clever, they!

But you are more clever!

My friend said, "I left the church, but God hasn't left ME."

If that's true for her (and me), it's true for you!

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 09:55PM

What those clowns forget is no one gets out of this alive.

Mormons get old, sick, frail, infirm, and will die.

It's part of being human; we don't get a pass.

Sorry for your problems, but please don't let stress be one of them re what Mormons think or the perverse pleasure they get to see others suffer.

That's sadistic of them. You so don't need that anxiety to weigh on you.

Self-care is immensely important for you. Not needless worry.

((((hugs))))

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 09:56PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 10:57PM

Don't worry about them, You need to focus on your health. That is what is most important!

I hope you feel better, heart disease runs rampant on my paternal side I know how awful it is

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 12:06AM by seamaiden.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:58PM

Well my health isn't too great so I don't know what to think ever but I've been worse when I was active thinking God would intervene man I was really naive. Church equals God will help me heck no that's a hard lesson.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 02:59AM

I had cancer when I was mormon. I was healed of it while questioning the whole mormon thing. Imagine that.

I know a guy who is extremely mormon. Probably would have been one of the uppity ups except for the fact that he has MS. The more mormon he is, the worse his health seems to get. This has been going on for about 25 years. Hundreds of blessings, many of them from prophets, apostles, patriarchs, etc. His family has had so many fasts that it's beginning to not look healthy.

No matter how righteous they are, he doesn't get well. You'd think they'd get a hint. The guys father died last week. Everyone is shocked. It was so unexpected. REALLY? He was 100 years old for cryingoutloud! They should be happy he had a good long life.

Meanwhile, his son with MS is in the hospital with pneumonia for the umpteenth time. He's now 70. His wife has given her last 25 years to caring for him 24 and 7. I don't know how she does it. The rest of the family (5 adult married kids) never do anything to help because they have 5 or more kids per couple and are exhausted and have nothing to give. Dad has multi millions of dollars but refuses to go into any kind of assisted care. A nurse comes in once a week, and that's it.

I think the whole thing is crazy, but i'm not them. Maybe this is what they need to do.

My point for you is, illness has zip zero zilch to do with being mormon/righteous/ rich/ born into mormon royalty/ $$$$$. Your body doesn't give a flying shit about any of the things going on out side of it. Your body doesn't care a lick what anyone thinks about how you're dealing with your illness.

Just the other day I had to remind my dil that my body doesn't give a shit about her thoughts, ideas, or misconceptions of my illness. When I wake up in the morning, I have the exact same issues no matter what she or anyone else thinks about it. It's your body, your life, and your illness. Do whatever you need to do to manage and care for yourself. Too bad if the dil or whomever doesn't agree.

I've found that most people think I know nothing about my illness. Never mind i've had it for 25 years and have been to the best DR's in the world. The inlaws think I know nothing about what i'm dealing with. They've been banned from talking about my illness to me. I don't give a flying shit what they think, or think they know. Unless one of them has the exact same thing, they aren't allowed to mention it. I'm sick of their judgmental snide comments that are all made in ignorance.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.