Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:00PM

I'm not talking about Church leadership necessarily. At least not the General Authorities.

But sometimes I'll happen to notice guys, usually in wrinkled cheap suits, coming out of a chapel on a weeknight or late in the day on a Sunday.

I wonder what was so important there that they would give up so much of their personal time with their families or hobbies to sit in stuffy rooms in uncomfortable clothes. It seems so unnecessary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:07PM

I can muster some sympthay for GAs, too.Imagine getting to that level and learning, by looking around the curtain, that its all a fraud. But here you have a life completely built around the opposite premise, you marriage, your family, your retirement, your social life and plans. You likely know your wife has sacrificed a ton just to support you in your support of that premise, as a relatively invisible support while you do so, at that.

How could you possibly break the illusion for her, and possibly destroy everything you have together? It's gotta suck. At this point, unless they are willing to brave the shitstorm that would follow, they have to suck it up and play the part.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:19PM

Not wearing a suit and tie and closed-collar shirt is one of the prime benefits of quitting the cult, IMO. I dressed up for a funeral a few months ago, but that's been it--I work online, so I'm more likely to be wearing a couple of cats than a shirt with a collar.

But feel sorry for the guys in suits at TSCC? Mmm, not much. It's self-inflicted suffering, which limits my pity.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 01:57PM

I remember going to Raymond one Sunday afternoon with my wife to visit her non mo aunt and uncle and we came upon my cousin, walking home from church in his old suit and carrying his Cult library and not looking particularly happy....with a "happy that's over for another week" look on his grille. And we were going to be drinking coffee and laughing.....and I did not feel sorry for him.

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 02:07PM

Suit is just a sign of enslavement but the morg pretends it shows they are different and uphold different values and are better than the rest of the world-not true the cheap suit look wrinkled and worn reflects a cult version of christianity, trying to stand apart. like not clapping in the sanctuary, so called but you could never tell it is sacred because there are no signs or symbols of holiness-just a control thing. Unhappy and sick is Mo'ism!

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 03:20PM

those uncomfortable suits. I feel the same way about my work uniform. The second im home it comes right off.

Yeah I do feel sorry for people who waste their time in such awful settings.
But some of them seem to feel some sort of purpose in it and to those ones we can only hope theyll snap out of it one day.

The ones that are miserable yet continue on the grind, I can sympathize with them a lot more. Part of me also wants to shake them and tell them to get a grip and cut out the misery maker from their lives. But its not always so easy I suppose.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 03:23PM

I do feel sorry for them for sure way more than before.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:29PM

Nope.

I have more sympathy for the panhandler than one of them.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:57PM

I feel like those panhandlers

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:33PM

nein !!!

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:56PM

They're victims of a particularly nasty little con game.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:12PM

This!!! 100% this!!!!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:11PM

My daughter (now wearing garments) wears so many layers that she purposely won't use the restroom rather than take off all those layers.

I own ONE dress. I bought it for my daughter's wedding that never happend.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:31PM

There's nothing worst than a wool suit over a union suit on your birthday suit. Please let me out so I can breathe! The Boner.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:44PM

I wear a black suit with a very bright colored shirt and flashy tie.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.