Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:21AM

The cult doesn't, so it is on you to totally deprogram yourself, seek support groups, seek counselors, and maybe more things that are costly. This is ridiculous they ruin you and then don't help pay for the repairs in any way. People don't even think about this part of it all. They just think you walk away and you are good, you ever see a heroin addict walk away and be good...nope. And people are so shocked about suicide, I'm telling you this is one of the reasons it's the lack of support after leaving it's like jumping off a cliff.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:33AM

Thats why forums like this help so much.

I find myself reading a ton, posts here and also church history books...bouncing from one to the other.

When you were up on the podium saying you know the Church is true at five years of age (or was trained in any other brainwashing) and just now realise how warped that was, you need the time and space to adjust!

It occurs to me that the temple is another example of brainwashing. You get to share an ultra super secret with a select few and are not permitted to unpack the secrets openly, so you carry them. And your muscles for carrying get stronger and better suited to carrying them.

Now it's time to work on other muscle groups...

Date: March 18, 2017 04:44AM

Exactly this forum helps me a ton but I keep wondering if I'm doing enough cause I am doing a lot of other things as well, but it feels like I'm building a bridge beneath my feet as I go right now.

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 05:19AM

I keep thinking I should meditate. The closest I get is running the hot bath water over my hands for a long time...

It's a chance to empty out the mind and see what resurfaces, to then work things out and plan.

Exercise and going outside is hugely therapeutic, too, and helps cognition.

I was chronically sleep deprived for years and when it started to get better I was amazed about how good rest can feel and that I had stopped knowing what a difference it made.

Likewise, getting out of Mormonism can be like waking up.

Whatever you need to to, it's worth the effort because you are worth it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 05:21AM by windyway.

Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:22AM

I am not saying that you shouldn't be angry at what they have done, and this is also coming from the point of view of a convert not someone born into the church, but what helped me with this is owning up to my own flaws.

I had to own the parts of myself that allowed them to suck me in, make peace with it and at the same time strengthen myself. They can't get to me now, not because they have changed for the better, they still act the same shitty way. I am now stronger and know where I need to put my strength when they come back.

This poem helped me a lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1UEnPp9l8s

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 06:33AM by seamaiden.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 06:23AM

they will only take responsibility for successes, not failures. Hence, if your life is successful it is because of your mormon faith or upbringing, if it is not then that is because either you left the faith or you did not follow the 'gospel' properly. Heads they win, tails you lose.

If you eventually leave, they have failed as a cult (to keep you enslaved).

However, they have no real claims upon your life at all and they only have the power you allow them to claim over you. You can change your thought patterns, although it does take time. You can change your behaviour and the way you interact with others. You can take back your autonomy and integrity and become a 'whole' person again.

Your most pressing long term task is you must recover from mormonism, but always remember that most people you encounter are recovering from something. You are not alone in whatever you are going through, but you have freed your mind: the truth (of the falsity of TSCC) has set you free from those chains.

Never fear, when you have completely removed all traces of those mormon chains, you will find other chains that also need removing.

Today is the first day of the rest of your (non-mormon) life.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 07:18AM

We can't expect the abusers to reach out in kindness to those they've harmed. It never seems to happen.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 08:37AM

Neither did Dr Frankenstein.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 09:14AM

They can never admit they are wrong. You'll never get an apology from something bogged down in institutional denial.

Your recovery depends on you, and your resourcefulness.

Leaving Moism doesn't mean you need to check your spirituality at the door.

For me, that helped me make the transition. I continued on my spiritual journey albeit on a different path. I was suffocating and starving (spiritually,) as a Mormon. I knew something had to give.

Finally I had my awakening. It wasn't me that couldn't live up to the unrealistic standards and expectations Mormonism puts on us.

It was thus: a highly dysfunctional religion that skewers self-images like it rips families asunder.

It does get better with time. Trust that you are going to get through this, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. Rome wasn't built in a day.

To "deconstruct" from a cult takes time. Consider how long you were indoctrinated for. Estimate it may take you at least as long to remove all those layers that have accumulated. Be of good cheer because the HUMAN BODY itself sheds ALL of its cells and rejuvenates every five years!

We change so much over the course of a lifetime in our perspectives, maturity, etc. Revisit this in five years, and then congratulate yourself, because by then it WILL be a distant memory. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/18/2017 09:16AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: MandyElle ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 10:01AM

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate,
I am the captain of my soul.
Invictus by William Ernest Henley

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 10:06AM

badassadam Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cult doesn't, so it is on you to totally
> deprogram yourself, seek support groups, seek
> counselors, and maybe more things that are costly.
> This is ridiculous they ruin you and then don't
> help pay for the repairs in any way.

That is a very euphemistic way to look at it.
Fact is: LDS Inc is counting on the fact that they have really messed up their MORmON members. You mentioned Heroine. LDS inc is a dope dealer who wants their subjects addicted to their stupid religion based product. WHAT is the product? A. BS Doctrine that boils down to INSANELY STUPID SECRET HANDSHAKES That members is allowed to openly talk about, B. A bunch of stuffed shirts who are colossal phonies to be revered in the place of NO show AWOL MORmON Jesus. C. A social network that claims to be supportive as an enticement also operating as a cover and diversion while the organization intentionally sucks their members dry financially and emotionally. LDS inc fully expects it's MORmON members to be completely addicted to their GARBAGE products!

> People don't
> even think about this part of it all. They just
> think you walk away and you are good,

What THEY are you talking about? LDS Inc and their MORmON members think that IF a person walks away from MORmONISM then that person is on the path to irreparable damage and the only possible cure is coming back into the control of (TOXIC) MORmONISM. Some people do exist MORmONISM with out much fuss and then seem to just keep rolling on their merry no longer MORmON way. They muse about why other ex MORmONS are so angry.
I have a commentary about why those people are able to leave THE ( MORmON) Church so easily and with out any hostility. It is because they were NEVER really IN the MORmON religion.

Any body who really went on the MORmON ride is going to feel raped as they come to their better senses.

People who claim that they got over MORmONISM like on a whim, were NEVER really in it.

> a heroin addict walk away and be good...nope. And
> people are so shocked about suicide,

suicide ? my MORmON mother still has a beating heart, but the fact of the matter is that MORmONISM has so captivated and dominated her life and her thoughts and so stifled her that she has been DEAD her entire life !!!! .....and that is exactly what I am going to say at her funeral !!!! NO matter how much it pissed off MORmON family.

> you this is one of the reasons it's the lack of
> support after leaving it's like jumping off a
> cliff.

That is exactly what LDS inc is counting on fleeing members seeing, so LDS inc can maintain a chance of retaining their MORmON member sheep /rapees/ addicts. LDS inc is EVIL !!!!

Date: March 18, 2017 03:46PM

More evil than I ever imagined.

Posted by: kumanjiro ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:05AM

Growing up a TBM, my parents would often talk about how people couldn't just leave the church in peace, how they always had to become enemies of the church. For them, this was a testimony of the truth of the church, as they believe Satan is influencing the hearts of these people to attack God's true church.

Now no longer a TBM, I understand why people are so opposed. This church takes so much from you, mentally, emotionally, physically, and financially. You can't just walk away and leave it alone. But then if you do attack it, or even say anything negative against it, you're the devil incarnated.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:31AM

Remember what Dallin Oaks said, in that the church does not apologize. They will never accept responsibility for the grief that they have caused for many of us. If one doesn't have a strong sense of self-esteem,it is easy to get absorbed into this black hole. It takes curiosity to begin to be able to get out,and curiosity requires bravery. Curiosity killed the cat, the cat in this case,representing TBM's. The TBM in me died the minute I found the real truth.

Date: March 18, 2017 03:50PM

I do not like Dallin Oaks as long as he's alive I'm going to have more motivation to get completely well I think.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:47AM

They are some sick ducks, aren't they. Victim blaming. They indoctrinate you and then despise you for not believing their fantastical crap. As bad as that is for you, imagine how much it sucks to be them.

But, whatever does kill you makes you stronger. You'll be way better off after recovery. Maybe even better than if you'd never encountered the cult. Still, it's a huge thing to deal with.

Date: March 18, 2017 03:52PM

What's more sick is the money they collect out of you as well after constant indoctrination.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:50AM

They never take responsibility.

When they get up at the pulpit and preach about following the scriptures and doing what they decide "God" wants everyone to be doing, they act all shocked when people take it seriously and take those teachings to the logical conclusions.

They don't put disclaimers in their preaching, like:

"Remember, most of the Bible is pretty horrible. Just cherry pick that stuff, wink and nod, and be sure to make up excuses to protect God from being responsible when people do what it says."

"Remember, we have to be subtle in our judging and exclusionary doctrine. We want you to agree with us, but don't go kill someone wearing a turban and expose how we really think!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.