Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:01PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morrissey

Joe Morrissey of VA had an affair with his seventeen year old secretary and later married her. They have two children and he has three other children with other women.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-morrissey-richmond-mayor_us_581b95c2e4b0aac6248306e9

Is this just something that all men want to do if they can get away with it? Did Mormonism just incorporate polygyny to give sanction to something men would do anyway in secret?

He did lose the election, however
http://wtvr.com/2016/11/08/joe-morrissey-concedes-richmond-mayoral-race/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 12:30PM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:05PM

It's a problem with guys named Joseph. Things would go better if he started a religion.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:56PM

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:20PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:08PM

He sounds like guy I used to work with who actually looked a bit like Joseph Smith and had the moral compass, yet was so charismatic he carried on and got away with it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:12PM

I'm glad that douchebag lost.
It would be nice if he and chaffetz could be prison cellmates.

Posted by: Dogblogger ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:39PM

It's certainly a drive many men can relate to. Whether to indulge the drive is the question. Adult consent is our current moral norm but it's not the only one exhibited through history.

I think life long marriage is a flawed universal paradigm. But certainly not a problem for those who want it. Term marriage with renewal option makes a lot of sense to me.

Open marriages aren't repulsive if that's the agreement of the partners, at least to me.

Trying to fit everyone into a universal mold and then judge then on that is what I have problems with.

Posted by: Loyalexmo not logged in ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:01PM

I think if anybody wanted an affair, it would be me, not my husband. I have to keep myself in check occasionally whereas I've never gotten the sense he does. Even if I could get away with it I'd never actually do it though.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:50PM

anybody Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is this just something that all men want to do if
> they can get away with it?

No.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 03:39PM

Here in Tennessee we have a state Representative who just got caught having an affair with his cousin who also works for him. Two state reps were disciplined last year for sexual harassment. We also have a U.S. Congressman who was caught on tape yelling at his mistress for not having "taken care" of it yet (had an abortion). But he was re-elected because he VOTES "pro-family" i.e. anti-choice. All are "good Christians" and of course, good members of their political party.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 08:33PM

Great stuff...ive wondered if those who seek the attention and applause of public office and power might be more inclined to fiddle and diddle...narcissism perhaps...ive only known a couple that were prospectors...most are not...the reward seems hardly worth the trouble imo...

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 10:12PM

We've got a senator in Ottawa who was or is having an affair with a 16 year old. There are calls all over the country and from his fellow senators for him to resign, but he says he's staying put and his lawyer is defending him saying "it takes two to tango". He's a fucking disgrace...and so is his shyster lawyer.

Posted by: elderpopejoy ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 11:09PM

A perennial gray eminence in Washington DC nailed the reason we discover so many priapic philanderers amongst politicos and "prophets."

"Politcal power is the strongest aphrodisiac on Earth."

Henry Kissenger

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 11:38PM

It seems that every few months I see a news article about an adult woman, usually a teacher, having an affair with an underage male. If I asked if "all women" wanted to this if they could get away with it, would that seem like an absurd, misogynistic question to you?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 11:19AM

Presented without endorsement, but as a point of view:

Song Of The King Lyrics

KING

A woman is a female who is human,
Designed for pleasing man, the human male.
A human male is pleased by many women,
And all the rest you hear is fairy tale.

ANNA

Then tell me how this fairy tale began, sir.
You cannot call it just a poet's trick
Explain to me why many men are faithful
And true to one wife only.

KING

(Spoken) They are sick!
(Singing) A girl must be like a blossom
With honey for just one man.
A man must be like honey bee
And gather all he can.
To fly from blossom to blossom
A honey bee must be free,
But blossom must not ever fly
From bee to bee to bee.

Humberto (a.k.a. "Humbert?" Just wondering...)

I notice those stories (older teacher--teen boy) with greater frequency. The double standard was that it fine ("wink, wink, nudge, nudge) for males to cat around, but femaales were held to a higher moral standard. Ever notice when double standards are deconstructed, it's always the LOWER standard that survives?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.