Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: alaskawild ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:08AM

HI, In a few weeks I am going on a trip with all my family, i.e. siblings, parents, nieces and nephews, my children etc. We will have a lot of time to sit and chat together. I have remained pretty quiet about having left the church as i don't want to ruffle feathers or invite drama. I simply don't believe it anymore. I'm still very much a christian and believe in God. I am curious for some feedback. Should I try to have a conversation with family about my many doubts? Or, if it blows up in my face, i guess that could lead to an unhappy vacation. What are some thoughts and advice? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:19AM

Before you unload, be sure they all know that you've left a letter with your attorney with the names of all party attendees. Otherwise, you may end up dead. If you doubt this, you have no idea how justified and dedicated a clique can become in the wilderness.

You must know that in their minds, the church is true, and the only pathway to bliss. Your victory is the same as a new launch pad is to North Korea.

They won't be happy. They won't feel safe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ho_geVOa5d0

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:43AM

Keep it to yourself. Nothing to be gained at all..

Gatorman
Fresh off first round NCAA victory and surprisingly sober

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 01:24AM

You asked. Here it is.
Unless you want to unleash a hornet's nest, keep your personal religious views to yourself when they are unacceptable to a bunch of Mormon relatives. It is none of their business.
They are notorious for asking pointed questions, so this is the time to change the subject and find a way to refuse to disclose your personal beliefs.
You might want to be prepared with some answers that shut down inquiry.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 01:31AM

One sign of TBM-ishness (and other my-tribe-is-better-than-your-tribe): Methodists and Episcopalians and even Catholics can sit around and talk about things including, sometimes, religion. But with TBM's it comes down to ward stuff and "The Prophet said this" and temples and missions and....

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 01:50AM

my family has treated me pretty good since I left. I still believe in god. I don't go to any church at the time. But if I had a friend or something so I don't have to go alone that would be nice.

There are many Mormons that can't comprehend why anyone would leave the Mormon church and only believe in biblical Christianity. In their eyes you might as be an atheist.

I'm no bible thumper either. I'm just easy going believe in god, and believe in evolution. evolution and intelligent creation are the same thing in my mind.

If you have to get into any beliefs conversation. Keep it pretty generic as much as you can, and think of an excuse to leave the conversation if it gets too mormony.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:06AM

Please enjoy your trip without talking about church and religion! If many of the family are LDS, of course they're going to talk about religion and what's going on in the ward, etc. Listen politely as long as you want, then make an excuse to go somewhere with your kids. Have fun. Don't let the memory of family strife be the big memory your family takes from your trip.

When you feel it's time, talk with those whom you feel will be supportive. Talk with them individually, not in a group. If you have a spouse talk with that spouse first and slowly reveal where you're at with Mormonism. Very best wishes!

Posted by: 2 late 2 log in ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 03:42AM

Make sure you have an out – meaning, that one of the cars is yours, and that you're driving it. That way, worst case, you'll be able to get home and they can't punish you by stranding you in the middle of nowhere. Seriously.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 04:02AM

Your title made it sound like you went on the trip without your family already.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 05:35AM

>>I have remained pretty quiet about having left the church as i don't want to ruffle feathers or invite drama.

It's worked for you so far -- why rock the boat?

Posted by: Rameuptom ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:05AM

Family vacation is not the time. Find a way to sneak away when needed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 06:32AM

Do it later after everyone is rested and there are no upcoming trips or holidays.

Only you can say how your family might react, so it must be your call.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 11:41AM

I think it would depend on how comfortable you are with your family in close quarters, to be open in your conversation?

If you feel safe with them, why shouldn't you be able to talk about it?

If it doesn't feel like the right time, then wait. Maybe talk about it after your trip. You don't have to tell them. But if you're an open person and keep in communication with them, it will come up eventually.

Best wishes on whichever route you choose.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 01:14PM

Do not ruin your trip. Wrong time and place.

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 02:02PM

Apparently you want to share with them. I would simply suggest that large groups are never the right place to share emotional information.

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 08:31PM

The family reunion is not the time to announce all your changes. Your whole family deserves to get together with drama over religious differences. It has too much risk of derailing the good times for all.

But if you are asked to pray, do it the way you now do it. If you are asked to give a thought, reflect your current belief (one that is similar to the ones you thing others will be comfortable with). Don't lie to questions, but also don't answer them in a way that provokes; just change the subject. Wear what you currently wear. If they all attend church, go if you want, or tell them you'll go hiking with your family for church. I'd deflect "if you really want to know, ask me after we get home. We're here now to enjoy each other and strengthen our relationships."

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 12:56AM

Nope. You right (not left)! Never offer anything you don't want to become 'public'/ shared.

It's not about truth in Mormonism. Most adherents don't want truth (since they think they have/ know it).

I'd leave religion out of it, and being life in, whenever, and wherever, it is needed, and belongs.

Have a good time!

Posted by: Anon4this1 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 02:13AM

I think it would be unfair to wreck (and it will) the vacation for a lot of people who just want to get away and have fun and may have spent a lot of money to do this.

If you want to tell everyone at once, try a group email.

Is your goal to help them see the light or just plain shock everybody?

It will certainly make you the center of attention for the whole vacation, if that's what you want.

Posted by: hgc2 ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 02:36AM

When I was about 40 and finally discovered to my satisfaction that the Mormon Church was not true, I thought I could share with my friends and family and if they weren't persuaded by my ideas they would at least be understanding.

WRONG!

I had a late evening discussion with my sister at a family get-together where I elaborated my ideas. Not well received.

We do fine at family gatherings if we don't talk Church. One man's experience.

Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 04:24AM

I've been wondering the same thing, but I have several months before the reunion.

I think I'll just use private communications now with individual members as I feel moved to do and as I find tge words. I don't want to create drama. I figure that it's more important to strengthen bonds. If conversations ensue and get tense, they can be postponed to email or phone calls.

Posted by: Nodog ( )
Date: March 18, 2017 08:29AM

I keep most my thoughts to myself. I feel bad when I accidentally let some honesty slip because I know it hurts their feelings. Not sure what your situation is but I always ask myself this question. What is the best way to show my family I love them.

In my situation not saying mean things about their passions has been the right thing.

One of our aunts brought a bunch of anti Mormon stuff to a family reunion once, v and my grandfather sent her home. She had come to cause drama rather than being joy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.