Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 07:51AM

I think a big reason I left the Mormon church and eventually my elder brother did as well was a question of trust (and lust.) I hadn't trusted the Mormon church secretly for a long time. Hiding from myself the fact that it was just a club with rules I had used it much like people probably use AA. I got sober as a young man using it as a sobriety social mechanism.

My brother followed it until middle age when it finally failed him. He could not understand how confessing his sins got him more callings. It was like if they kept him busy he wouldn't have time to sin.

Ultimately, we failed to trust it anymore and it released its hold upon us. We had to learn to trust more in ourselves.

I think this is a big part of recovery. Learning to grow up some more and trust in your decisions more than a group of clean living rule followers who haven't lost their trust in a group of people who don't know them at all in Salt Lake City.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 07:52AM by Elder Berry.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.