Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: seamaiden ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 01:08AM

I had my daughter while a member and she had her baby blessing in the church, she isn't on file is she? Does she need to be removed from roll? I had myself removed in 2009-2010 but never thought to have her listed on letter as well.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 04:32AM by seamaiden.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 02:00AM

I thought if they were blessed they were on the records but I don't know for sure.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 02:22AM

I was never baptized, however, and that saved me from the hassle of resigning my membership.

I just tell people I apostatized kind of young (and there's some truth in that one, and even though by age 13 I was the "ward project," I wasn't buying what they were selling).

Your daughter can expect to be targeted similarly, particularly if you have siblings or parents who are still on church rolls.

I would "empower" your daughter with the tools you find here, i.e. actual rather than "faith promoting" history," authentic science such as anthropology and DNA showing the BOM to be a fraud, etc.

I wish you both well...

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 02:39AM

I'm going to digress a little here --- when missionaries are assigned to learn a foreign language, say Dutch, what level does the MTC train them up to (beginners, intermediate)?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 05:46AM

Canary, that's an interesting topic in and of itself. You might want to start a new thread on it.

Posted by: LifeOnTheOutside ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 08:04AM

Seamaiden...

I have wondered the same think myself - my oldest two were blessed, the youngest two were not - none of my children were baptized.

I believe that if children are blessed they are listed something like "member of record" (I may be totally wrong on the term, but it is something like that) meaning they are on the rolls but not yet baptized.

Several years ago the local ward put out a directory that listed all the members, address, phone number and birth dates of the kids I believe. Anyway - they listed my wife, me and my oldest two children. My youngest two were not listed.

As far as removing them from that list - I am not sure the process. Out of respect for my parents I am waiting until their passing to resign from the church, so I haven't been through that yet. However, my oldest two are 21 & 19 - so I am sure they will have to deal with any name removal on their own if they wish.

Sorry I wasn't more help - but if anything this post will "top" your thread and maybe someone more knowledgeable will see it and offer more help.

Congrats on leaving and enjoy your new life! I know I have.

Date: March 16, 2017 08:30AM

...I'm gonna have to tell her, I don't think she knows! That is the issue I'm having. She grew up in Assembly of God church, and has no memory of going to Mormon "church".

She is finishing her Freshman year of university and because she is housed off campus, she has been attending a different church, and doesn't agree on their view of how someone is saved, she said she is going to have it out with them because she wants to leave and there is an Assemble of God church near campus where she should be housed due to her major

The road just got bumpy!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/2017 08:43AM by seamaiden.

Date: March 19, 2017 11:38PM

Update:

I told my daughter I was LDS at one time and that she might be consider by LDS to be LDS too unless she tells them otherwise, all she said was "huh'..

I don't know if I should explain their fascination with member growth and what having her name removed does to church mojo...

Thoughts and opinions??

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: March 19, 2017 11:42PM

Any blessed child is on the rolls. The bishops fill out forms and submit them to the COB.

Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 02:18AM

aren't they considered a child of record?

Date: March 20, 2017 03:16AM

I skim through all that, cause I just can't...

I don't see what you laying down that I'm supposed to be picking up.

Posted by: crathes ( )
Date: March 20, 2017 10:03AM

She is a child of record. From age 8 until age 9, the local missionaries will try to contact you and her to get her dunked. These are the easiest for the local missionaries, and count just as if they had to track out someone and actually teach them.

If she is not baptized by age 9, her record is pulled from the local ward, as local membership records are for children of record (ages 0 - 9 (minus one day), and baptized adults.

If the ward clerk is really hard core (like I was), he will create a non-member tracking record. This is often done for non-member family members such as a spouse.

Date: March 21, 2017 12:04AM

Thank you for explaining this, I am the only member that ever was in my family, so they can not reach out in that way. When I resigned in 2009 ish my daughter was about 11 and mishes showed up, I met the outside and told them no before the could shut the car doors. I don't have much to worry about I guess!!

Posted by: lolly 18 ( )
Date: March 26, 2017 08:25PM

If she was not baptized, she's already off the rolls, because that is automatic at age 9 if they haven't been. No resignation required.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.