Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SonOfLaban ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 10:11PM

Apparently the government has been minting fake coins since 1787. Does this really matter? Isn't image all that we should settle for? What difference does the actual content make, especially in coinage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGk3eIiHtW0

see also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwMOi1wIbOw

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 11:02PM

and pure silver and gold are impractical for coinage as the metals in the pure state are too soft.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 11:44PM

It does matter. what's worse is that Woodrow Wilson created the federal reserve in 1914 and basically let a private company (the Rothchilds) print the money and take a large cut of every dollar coming out of the gin. We are getting taken for a ride. It's all going to come crashing down on us someday. All I can say is maybe Glen Beck is right, it's time to start buying gold!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 11:49PM by poopstone.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 12:50AM

The blockchain is incorruptible, a claim no currency on Earth can make. The markets for virtual currencies like Bitcoin are a lot harder to rig than the gold market.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 09:28AM

The government has never minted "fake" coins.
Coins have no intrinsic value. Whether they're gold, silver, copper, zinc, or pot lead. Their value isn't derived from what they're made of, it's derived from the subjective value we (and other countries) place on the economic and political value of the country.

That's a big reason we (and nearly all other countries) went off the "gold standard" a long time ago -- because it was always a fiction, and the value of US currency was always subjectively determined by the value we humans put on it, not on some intrinsic value of gold (whose price is just as subjective as the value of the non-"gold standard" US dollar).

Investing in gold (or silver or other "precious metals") may be a good investment, it may not. It's certainly not a place to put your resources if you think the world is going to hell. If monetary systems collapse, gold will lose value, not gain it. While the metal has some value in technical manufacturing (such as gold contacts in some cell phone parts), in a collapsing economy it would be essentially worthless. Food would have great value, secure shelter (homes) would have great value -- mostly decorative gold would have none.

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:34AM

Well, when things get rolling again you'll be glad you have a backyard full of gold instead of the old worthless currency.

Though gold may have no intrinsic value, it has had value through countless civilizations, but the paper money of countless civilizations is worthless today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 12:35AM by thingsithink.

Date: March 16, 2017 12:01AM

Wherever intrinsic value is, there will the vultures be gathered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0oO2CSSQv8

Date: March 16, 2017 12:53AM

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 01:39AM

Wow SonOfLabon, That guy is smart. He has everything figured out. I must be dumb as I didn't know any of that stuff.

Posted by: dogzilla ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 02:34PM

Nah, he just watches a bunch of YouTube videos instead of reading books.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 03:30AM

Be careful with purchasing precious metals. They do go up and down in value.

Date: March 16, 2017 03:47AM

Moroni helped to shape our coolest cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3am5z2Capg

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 06:59AM

Invest in tin foil. The demand for hats will never go down.

Date: March 16, 2017 08:15PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 07:32AM

everything is not fake.

Posted by: good enough ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 06:36PM

when it comes to money fake is good enough for me

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 08:16PM

If you think the coins are fake, what do you think of the paper money? Paper is really cheap and worthless.

What I can't figure out is why the Federal Reserve doesn't eliminate inflation. I read a textbook once that said that slight inflation is the optimal state for an economy to be in. I forget exactly why. But I think the inflation rate is set too high. I think it is more than slight.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 08:20PM

The inflation rate is currently at 2.7% (per year).
That's higher than it's been for a while, but it's not very high.

A "small" inflation rate helps stimulate growth. Most monetary managers consider anything from 1% to 3% "small." Above that, wages don't keep up, people cut back. Below that, nobody makes money selling stuff. It's a balancing act :)

Date: March 16, 2017 09:02PM

Two days ago, while eating lunch, my filipina wife commented that her chicken piece was smaller than it used to be. We were all munching down Jollie Bee. I told her that the actual weight of food portions decrease as companies try to profit during the invisible theft of value caused by over-printing of currency.

She acted as if I was spouting reformed egyptian.

My three little boys were listening. I believe when they are old coots, they will be griping about how rice used to come in steaming hot mounds, and not just cold, dry particles.

I am so glad I lived while humans still enjoyed the momentum of real things past, apparent fairness and the image of worth, if not actual value.

Life was always a scam, but today, it is in such constant reaffirmation that I simply order too much, and almost feel full, after eating.

Even great ads make me sad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kAOvTFA5rs

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 10:51PM

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:26AM

We all need to trust government and bankers. They will not lead us astray, and they care about us.

They would never steal wealth from us through inflation, never make secret deals without our knowledge, never falsify the inflation rates, and on and on.

Of this I can testify.

Date: March 17, 2017 10:56AM

The gold standard is impractical for the modern world.

http://www.alternet.org/story/149550/what%27s_behind_the_right_wing%27s_bizarre_obsession_with_the_gold_standard

However, this version will live forever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKFpaCMRWgU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyg1mQ87ILg

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2017 11:00AM by anybody.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: March 17, 2017 12:27PM

A friend of mine came to the US during the time of the Iron Curtain. His family had to escape and they had to live in basements, barns and anyplace they could find. Very difficult time.

He said money was of little use. Gold was better but it was difficult to trade in gold. But the one thing that you could always trade was Vodka.

So if you really think the world is going to collapse, forget money, gold or food storage. Buy Vodka.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.