Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 01:20PM

So, Nephi writes this:

"Behold, my father hath made this record, and he hath written the intent thereof. And behold, I would write it also if I had room upon the plates, but I have not..."

And then what does he do? He writes a *whole book* of long-winded prophecy, repeating the same ideas over and over again with a suspiciously 19th Century bent...

Oddly, I cannot find an apologist to explain this...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: danboyle ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 01:45PM

and then, after all that work to make golden plates and scratch writings on them and haul them around then bury them, it turns out all the info is stored in one magic rock....go figure.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 02:26PM

Boy were we fooled for quite awhile. Not because we were dumb but because the church kept things close to the vest.

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 03:34PM

Very funny statement. Loved it, Danboyle

"and then, after all that work to make golden plates and scratch writings on them and haul them around then bury them, it turns out all the info is stored in one magic rock.....go figure."

Ohhhhhh....it is amazing....amazing indeed!

I am going to send that statement to some TBMs I know. How will they react? Well, I can guess that.....

I will never know, and I sure wish I could be there and watch their expressions!

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 03:34PM

When I asked my wife where the plates were now, she told me that an angel had taken them to heaven, presumably, after taking them from JS.

"Well, that was convenient," I said.

"What do you mean," she asked.

"Nobody can challenge their authenticity or JS's translation if they're not around now," I explained.

"But once Joseph Smith was done with them, they were too dangerous to have around. Anybody who saw them, except for Joseph Smith, of course, would have been stricken dead," she insisted.

"Why would JS even need such a dangerous artifact lying around in the first place, since, by all accounts, they were hidden in the woods somewhere while he was reciting most of the translation from a rock in the comfort of his home," I asked.

"Well, I'm not so bold as to challenge God's actions. Don't be so proud in your reasoning that you aren't open to the wisdom of the Holy Ghost."

Uh-huh.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 04:11PM

That's yet another thing that's always bugged me: the plates were totally earth-bound and created by men, so why take them to heaven? And 2/3rds are SEALED. And why would someone be struck dead by "looking on" a man-made object, especially if it REVEALS THE GREATEST DISCOVERY IN HUMAN HISTORY--THAT JESUS CHRIST CAME TO THE AMERICAS!?

There are so many things in LDS doctrine and history that are hidden from the sunlight of scrutiny, which, IMO, is the exact opposite of Christ's teaching.

OTOH, I guess the church can cherry pick a dozen bible verses about "God and hidden things and He can do whatever He wants."

Ooooh, I'm gettin' mad again, and I've only had a cup and a half of coffee today....

Posted by: Serge ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 06:14PM

And why wasn't the Seer Stone taken up to heaven, too? It was as instrumental for us having the BOM translated into English as the U and T and breast plate?

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 08:15PM

The absence of the U/T "up to heaven" and the presence of the seer stone here on terra firma is something that I have not thought about till now. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.....

Gatorman
9-4
24-8
13-5

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/15/2017 08:16PM by gatorman.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 15, 2017 09:51PM

IN b 4 ~ the Book of Mormon is totally totally fake ~

( srs ) ~

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: March 16, 2017 04:30AM

And Ziller is totally totally as well as absofreakinlutely right on!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.