Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 07:16PM

I grew up in Utah but have not lived there since 1998. I just saw this on msn.com, John Huntsman is now the ambassador to Russia. This is obviously a big job given the political climate- I don't know much about Huntsman, is he TBM? What is the general opinion of him? I have the impression he is a somewhat progressive mormon type, is this wrong?
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/huntsman-to-be-russia-ambassador/ar-AAo2vC7?li=BBnb7Kz

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 07:33PM

Yes, he is NOM-ish and relatively progressive. He is the former ambassador to China, and as such is used to dealing with important and delicate diplomatic ties. I think he's a terrific pick for this critical post.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 07:38PM

Jon Huntsman has his roots in Silicon Valley.

He's as good or better a candidate than many of the others called to serve thus far.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 07:46PM

He may be the first appointee in this administration that actually has experience doing what his new job will be -- he's been an ambassador twice before :)

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 12:43AM

That's my thought as well, he might be the first person in the administration that has actually had experience for the job he was just appointed for.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 07:46PM

Well he's no wuss but he has yet to face Vlad.

He's not likely try to use the fake Mormon schmooze with Putin like we know Mittens would.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 11:16PM

My understanding is he isn't very Mormon.

Seems like an accomplished ambassador. Don't see why it's a bad pick.

Posted by: cynful ( )
Date: March 08, 2017 11:27PM

I actually like Jon Huntsman a lot... best pick by far, IMHO, of this administration.

Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 12:55AM

yes Cynful (nice name by the way) he seems like the best pick so far to me as well. Like I said, I have limited knowledge of him, but my general impression has been positive, responses to my op as well as yours seems to confirm it. So go Utah!

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 06:50AM

Well, Jon Huntsman seems to meet the first prerequisite for a cabinet-level position:

He's rich.

Posted by: kairos ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 01:29PM

is huntsman the heir to the very large fortune his dad lucked into when mcdonalds decided to use styrofoam and he was the only company doing it?

his dad is a billionaire and may be dead or close to dead- his brother david is a mp in northern va -quiet, nice, great family- i often wonder what david really believes as he is definitely not a nazi mormon.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 05:13PM

I'd imagine daddy Huntsman probably made a good campaign donation. But whatever the reason, the apple isn't all that close to the tree in the Huntsman clan, which is good. Even though yeah, he'll probably inherit a fortune and I'm sure the Donald wants to keep the billionaires close.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 07:38AM

True. Although compared to Trump's other pics, he makes a teacher's salary.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 11:33AM

And the Russian leader's insecurities...

When Huntsman was governor here I encountered him once in the breezeway of the Salt Lake Hilton...

I'm less than six feet, but he barely came up to my chin.

Google tells me Putin is five seven...

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 12:02PM

Huntsman is a very reliable yes man. He does as he's told and doesn't screw up. Getting him out of Utah helps Orrin Hatch and helps Trump with his Russian conduit.

Posted by: hwint ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 01:16PM

Huntsman speaks fluent Chinese and was previously an ambassador to China. He's got a solid record as a moderate Republican and seems like a decent guy overall.

No complaints from me on this appointment. He's a great choice.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 05:01PM

I like Huntsman a lot. It's hard to believe the current administration would make a wise move like that. But for whatever reason, with all the Russia stuff going on, it is probably an excellent choice.

I was impressed that Huntsman accepted the appoint as ambassador to China from Obama. Many of the Pubs were upset that he'd let himself be appointed by Obama. He said something to the effect of "when your country asks you to serve, you serve your country."

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 12:31AM

I dont think could work for Trump under any circumstances. I guess we can hope that he will be a moderating influence, but my admiration for him has suffered.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: March 09, 2017 06:47PM

I wish he were the president.

Date: March 09, 2017 11:17PM

rhgc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wish he were the president.

Me TOO!!! And I'm a lifelong Democrat!!! I always liked him, especially when he said he believed in SCIENCE and would NOT thump a bible for votes. AND, he is a SANE person.

Additionally, I too admire that his country came first when he was asked to serve as Ambassador to China by President Obama... thank you for that awesome reminder NormaRae! :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2017 11:23PM by cynful.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 12:23AM

This article, from a conservative/libertarian site (with a focus on economics) thinks Huntsman's appointment indicates that Trump will be taking a harder line on Putin and Russia:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-03-09/trump-offers-russia-ambassador-post-putin-critic-jon-huntsman

OTOH, Trump may also be trying to offset various charges that he's too cozy with Putin.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 12:56AM

SMARTER THAN HIS BOSS

just sayin'

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 06:32AM

This will probably ruin his reputation.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 08:51AM

Exactly.

Date: March 10, 2017 12:56PM

It has in my eyes.

Date: March 10, 2017 01:02PM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This will probably ruin his reputation.

True... it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't. Serve your country and try to do some good, while at the same time being affiliated with this awful mess of an administration.

Date: March 10, 2017 01:10PM

He'd better serve his country by running against Orrin Hatch. But I can understand the allure of being a diplomat. But a diplomat to Russia under the Trump administration?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 10, 2017 01:22PM

Check the article link in my post above. Trump as Putin's buddy or worse, puppet, makes for a handy progressive meme, but "conventional (liberal) wisdom" may be off the mark.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.