Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: st. louis ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:58PM

4 weeks ago I came to this board with a query about Mormon missionaries and received informative and surprising answers:
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,2176,2176#msg-2176

I wrote a paper and later presented my "findings" to a class of 30 fellow students, who were all absolutely floored by what they heard. 15 minutes of allotted discussion time turned into over an hour, until the professor finally jumped in and filled us in on some aspects of Mormonism (he was sharply critical).

By the way, this is at a Catholic univ where most students have never heard of Mormons. I am not religious myself; I went to this school because it's convenient. Those who are Catholic here are mostly cafeteria Catholics.

Fall break has come and gone and people still are referencing the topic with an enthralled/appalled intrigue. The professor has agreed that if I can get the ball rolling on arranging it, we could have a Mormon leader or set of missionaries come in for a guest presentation / Q & A session. Ground rules being they are not to proselytize and we are not to have a laugh at their religion. He or a Catholic priest can help me make the arrangements if need be.

I guess what I want to ask is what do you all think of this and do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:08PM

I am glad you did what you did and your professor was critical as he should have been. But what can be done in a class with your rules???? I think people who are interested would get more out of talking to a Mormon missionary in the street. That would allow a good give and take.

Actually they would be given much more respect and not challenged in the classrrom. Those were the rules as you stated. I do not see the point. If you were allowed to ask questions about why they believe as they do and back it up with facts that is one thing but then you should have your say as well. Sounds like you would only get what a Mormon wants to sell and you can get that from reading a book on Mormonism. I think what you have provided is sufficient. Yes, most people know little about Mormons and this is a good way to educate them.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:13PM

If people in your class are interested in a good book about mormonism from a catholic perspective, I recommend a book called Inside Mormonism by Isaah Bennet. He was a catholic priest who converted to mormonism and then later went back to the catholic church. Also, catholic.com has some great tracts on mormonism.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:16PM

I'll bet your classmates are all thoroughly inoculated now. I don't see any reason not to bring in a spokesperson. Your rules sound reasonable to me. It would be rude to laugh at them.

You might suggest a followup discussion after they are gone to discuss it.

I would expect them to come up with a very different perspective and on the surface to refute some of what you know.

Take really good notes and come back here if you need help sorting it out.

Posted by: St. Louis ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:19PM

Let me clarify that we would be allowed to ask critical questions. We would *not* be allowed to be disrespectful for the sake of doing so, eg "Aren't you throwing away your youth in wretched cult out to rob people? hahahaha"

Date: October 23, 2010 03:37PM

Agreed....being disrespectful would be a rude thing for any college class. But I wonder how critical your questions could be without the opportunity to challenge. That's all.

Posted by: amos ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:57PM

Daniel C. Dennett is a Tuft's philosophy professor and studies religion as a natural phenomenon. He writes a book called Breaking the Spell, all about why religion evolved/s.
As a mormon I was always aware of how others viewed it as a cult, but I was equally aware of how they exempted their own religion from the cult-o-meter, myth-o-meter, BS-o-meter, etc.
Mormonism, to me, is a case study into the psychological and sociological forces in ALL religions.
It's the whole "how can intelligent people fall for this?" question. Indeed, in some ways, the more intelligent, the more vulnerable. Dennett makes a good case.

Posted by: Cookie Monster ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:09PM

Are you at SLU?

Posted by: orsonsplatt ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:26PM

I think that's a fantastic idea, and you should take video.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:36PM

Maybe you should consider having the missionaries and a local seminary or gospel doctrine teacher. That would provide a much wider perspective. Ward mission leaders are generally a bad choice in my experience. They tend to be stuck in salesman mode.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 06:56PM

Do you really expect them to accept this invitation? No way in Hell they will be allowed to walk into this mine field.

Posted by: eddie ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:16PM

StillAnon Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Do you really expect them to accept this
> invitation? No way in Hell they will be allowed to
> walk into this mine field.

When I was a missionary we were to accept any audience we could find or that could find us. I have also had a stake president who used to take the missionaries with him to participate in classes at other churches.

Date: October 23, 2010 09:01PM

I was thinking this same thing.

Posted by: Nealster ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 07:21PM

I hope all goes well and do, please video and post on Youtube for us all.

But as Stillanon has pointed out; as soon as the Mission President hears the word 'Catholic', he'll be wagging his head in the negative. Unless he's a bit more relaxed and liberal about things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.