Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: emma ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:46PM

Just watched this, mostly to see how accurate it would be, partially hoping for a scene of Emma peeking through the barn at Joseph and Fanny Alger. No such luck, it was pretty whitewashed. Here are some highlights for those who aren't going to bother to watch:

1. They make a big fuss at the beginning about Lewis Bidamon cheating on her and fathering a child with another woman. But there is only a little 30 sec blurb where Emma talks to Julia about polygamy and bears her testimony that Joseph is a prophet. She also says she won't talk about polygamy. Ya, wouldn't want to make Joseph look bad.

2. Ripping a quote from President Hinckley and having Joseph give it as his own.

3. Portraying Isaac Hale as a big jerk of a father who hated religion, when all he was trying to do was save her from marrying a known con man.

4. Having them play "If you could Hie to Kolob" throughout the entire movie. I thought the church was trying to get away from these more extreme doctrines.

Honestly, I think they do a disservice to Emma by all of this white-washing. Maybe I should write a letter or something :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: LordBritish ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 03:02PM

Too bad they don't throw in the part where Joseph has already been with BOTH Partridge sisters and then forces Emma to 'give them over in marriage' in a mock ceremony 2 months later in order to look the part of even caring about his D&C 132 rules...

Talk about a mind job...that lady put up with MASS amounts of shite. Amazing what some women will put up with to keep 'security', more like Stockholme syndrome where she identified with her captor.

Posted by: Zeno Lorea ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 04:26PM

Posted by: oddcouplet ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 08:59PM

I got it from Netflix.

I liked the part in the movie where Emma implies that she refused to go west with Brother Brigham because she had such a hard time crossing the Mississippi on her way from Missouri to Nauvoo: "I swore I'd never cross that river again!" And about polygamy: "It was the command of the Lord!"

I think that some liberties were taken with the historical record.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.