Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:39AM

http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/washington/

This one should be budgeted out of "marketing". Notice the dates of re-opening. How obvious could this be?

Also, Oakland is getting redone.

They're realizing the market is saturated, so now they're going to put that "same product, new look" sticker on the package.

Mexico City had been renovated twice.

Jordan river

Ogden

Frankfurt

Freiburg twice

Idaho falls

Somesuch in South America added two giant wings

A McTemple in Canada had to be gutted too

Lots of money.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 11:16AM

That money isn't going to launder itself!

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 11:32AM

Which one burned down?

Date: February 26, 2017 12:09PM

Samoa. To a crisp.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:01PM

Given that the Washington, D.C. temple opened for business in 1974, it probably could use a refresh. But yes, LDS temple, ward, and stake construction and rennovation appears to be a big business, and one that goes to the well-connected within the church.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 01:00PM

When the D.C. temple had that armed man in there in the mid 80's there was talk about having to re-dedicate it. Police were in there and so forth. Did they do any touchup work on that temple then or just have the carpets cleaned?

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:37PM

Everything you folks said is true, the renovations make construction companies very happy. However, the eventual costs become a money pit. If one builds a big building, one is faced with big upkeeps for that building. Eventually, the big buildings become big liabilities.

Case in point--Washington National Cathedral. I'm a member of the Cathedral society. I get constant solitations for money for building upkeep. The earthquake a few years ago resulted in a big capital campaign to secure funds for building stabilization and repairs. The earthquake wasn't on anyone's radar.

Eventually, the Morg will be in the same boat!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 12:40PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:42PM

One can argue they just need to break even on a cash-flow basis (building security and cleaning, property taxes if they are paying them), but eventually things break, things start to look dated, storms or earthquakes cause damage, etc.

Date: February 26, 2017 12:43PM

I'm glad to hear somebody say this, as I've thought it for years as well.

Even those dumpy McTemples will cost an awful lot, perhaps even worse per sf because they were all built so poorly.

They had the deep pockets for the build, but how about in 20 years when remodel costs occur?

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:53PM

$ kickbacks $

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 06:11AM

They have millions of sq feet of that nasty fiber, prickly wall material that is left over from Hinkster's Temple-thon.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 06:24AM

I am not surprised one bit they have been taking forever with Idaho falls.

Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 07:11AM

Which are huge p.r. opportunities both for the general public and current members (to encourage marginal tithers to up the ante.)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 04:20PM

That's probably what it's really about.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 12:54PM

How often have they remodeled centuries old cathedrals?

Sure, it takes lots of money top keep them up, but...you...I would think that 700 years of weather, war, and earthquakes takes more of a toll than 40 years of shuffling TBM's....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 01:26PM

When they did the reno on the Alberta temple 25 years ago the local craftsmen did just fine on the cult's money.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 01:39PM

Digging out from under that City Creek Temple in Provo and putting the burned out thing on 40' posts was the most outlandish use of tithing $ that I've ever seen. I heard it was because they suspected there was a baptismal font underneath it. The danger to workers alone should have been against some OSHA regulation.

Idol worship ????

They won't disclose the cost of that, but I heard that the white, glass thing (the word won't come to mind) outside there cost over a hundred million.

We toured the completed thing, and it struck me as some garish honky-tonk brothel.

It makes me wonder what made it burn down to begin with?

Posted by: Lurker01 ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 02:33PM

Does this mean they will have an open house to the outsiders? I grew up outside DC and have always wondered what it looks like in there. The "Surrender Dorothy" graffiti is a favorite childhood memory

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 05:45PM

Yes, eventually. It will close down for renovations about a year from now in 2018, and reopen in 2020. It will probably be my first chance to see the inside of a Mormon temple. I just didn't want to make the hike up to Philly.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 02:52PM

Does anyone remember the Arkansas Temple? It came and went in the twinkling of an eye.

Cricket had the only known pictures of it because it too burned to the ground caused by a lightening storm during the dedication.

It was classic meso-Americun style, a double-wide trailer with a moroni steeple which was inexplicably left ungrounded, thereby causing the temple's untimely destruction.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 03:14PM

what? Never heard of temple in Arkansas. Where was it? When did this happen? It wasn't rebuilt? Totally news to me there was ever a temple in that state.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 04:31PM

http://www.ponyfans.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=36856

I'm guessing it looked something like this, since this has a baptismal font in the basement. It also looks like the finest materials and craftsmen were used to get the right look for the location.

Posted by: weeder ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 04:14PM

How GAs get "church-money" into the hands of a few GA extended family member's hands?!?!?

Create BIG construction projects and hire the son-in-law's company to do it.

Why did the Shopping Mall cost so much??? Well, the cult had A LOT of money to transfer.

Mission accomplished.

Just look closely at the companies doing the work.

Posted by: ericka ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 04:18PM

I'm amazed they haven't redone the Seattle temple. That is one ugly duckling.

Date: February 27, 2017 04:43PM

Couldn't agree more. Pugfugly.

Posted by: iwenttothewoods ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 02:50AM

One of my professors owns a structural engineering firm that has gotten a ton of temple design/retrofit contracts. In fact, I believe that is how the firm gained reputation in the area.

The professor is a nice guy, but every lecture makes some reference to FHE, giving a talk in church, or some other church reference he just assumes everyone in the class will get (I go to a state university).

This professor recruits a lot of engineers from his class to work at his firm. I could never work there, just because my paycheck would originate from a bunch of poor, swindled Mormons (probably from South America).

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 08:37AM

Temples for laundering, and hiding money, and keeping secrets, and doing dirty deeds, and laundering brains, and building/ 'remodeling' idols (of worship)...

Posted by: Fancher ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 08:59AM

My TBM cousin was complaining a couple of years ago about losing a bid to do the Air conditioning at the Phoenix temple. He was from a well established firm but said they lost to a company which put in a higher bid but had connections to the church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.