Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 07:48PM

The giant short-faced bear died out at the end of the last ice age as climate change and hunting pressure by newly arrived humans killed off the other large animals they ate for food.

One possible explanation is that over the centuries native tribes melded distant memories of this animal and other extinct
megafauna into a mythical creature called "Sasquatch."

But why does the legend go on living?

Because people want to believe despite all evidence to the contrary.

Another example of how something that is totally false is thought to be "true."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 11:18AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 07:50PM

Don't people think Cain and Bigfoot are one in the same?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 08:04PM

So yes, there is that bit of folklore. Incidentally, the "World's Leading Bigfoot Authority" is a Mormon named Jeffery Meldrum who teaches at Idaho State University. You can Google him, but best to stop by Costco for some spare bullship filters. I've followed the Bigfoot nonsense since before the Patterson-Gimlin film taken in 1967. That one is a proven fraud despite the naysayers (there's no room in the fossil record for the opposable big toe--found in humans but not apes; it's necessary to permit upright walking and evolved in Africa ~2,000,000 years ago). There's a YouTube video of Bob Gimlin passing a lie detector test after claiming Patterson had him dress up the in an "ape suit."

Mormons, incidentally, have no monopoly on Bigfoot tales, as anyone with cable TV knows. Here on Planet Utah, Channel 201 is the "Destination America" Channel (should read "Outer Space," IMHO), and right now the evening's offerings are all "Killing Bigfoot" programs.

SLC
Enjoying watching Sir David Attenborough instead

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2017 08:05PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 08:18PM

Well, I'm a guy with really big feet, ergo...but, that's just me!

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 08:57PM

Hence the Mormon fascination with Bigfoot. Hmmm, maybe the mark of Cain wasn't skin color.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 09:58PM

Bigfoot is no harder to believe than seer stones, so they go for it.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 10:18PM

Technically, it's possible to see Bigfoot, Jesus Christ, and Heavenly Father at the same time. However, the mushrooms have to be really fresh.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:13AM

I'm a bigfoot junkie. I have met several people that have seen them. One friend saw a group of them, my other friend saw one stand up and walk away when what she thought she was looking at was a tree stump.

I heard about the story of early Mormons that encountered a creature and that it spoke English and told them he was Cain.

I guess as Mormon men, they felt they had some superior priviledge over the non Mormons and were more entitled to meet him

I don't believe bigfoot is cain. it's pure bullshit.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:05AM

I hate the Bigfoot shows because they would always tease that they were going to see one with cgi but they never ended up seeing anything and it pissed me off so I don't watch those shows anymore.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:10PM

X-and-such weird happened, we don't have enough evidence or a solid scientific explanation for the occurrence therefore it must be chose one: {Aliens, Bigfoot, 3 Nephites}

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:58AM

Well, heck yes there's a big foot!

He jumped out and pushed my ex's car off the road one night when my ex was drunk. There was some fur stuck to the bumper. Some people said it was deer fur, but they wrong!! It was Porter BigFoot Rockwell !

I know he was telling the truth because there was a strand of PBFR's long hair on my husband's collar! So there!

Duu-uh.....

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 03:11AM

Don't let poopstone know its a tall tale, he's convinced it's real...

My theory is he's looking for a romantic companion.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 08:45PM

Hey did someone call my name, that would be a hairy romantic companion, hmmmm? But anyway yes they are absolutely true. Just listen to the missing 411 reports on youtube. Lots of people go missing every year from National Parks. All kinds of strange stories about how they the creature snatches people takes their shoes off, folds their clothes and remains are never found. These abductions usually happen around river beds and around large boulders.

As a kid my uncle (a forest ranger) would always tell us never go hiking alone. He never said why, but bigfoot was implied.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 08:46PM by poopstone.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 10:23AM

There's more proof of Big Foot than there is the Three Nephites.

By proof, I simply mean more folklore. Big Foot is a local dude.

The Three Nephites "sightings" aren't as recent.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 11:49AM

If you can believe in a peep stone magician named jo smith jr. you can believe in anything! The grape vine has it that bad actor Cain is raising hell in Missouri while the three nephites remain in hiding! John the Revelator has been missing in action/may have informally resigned his commission! To make things worse, there is another ominous warning that Cain is capable of inducing optical illusions/does transform into Big Foot on occasion! Also, Dracula may be on his way from Transylvania to join in/provide for a more diverse group! Where is my Jupiter Talisman when I need it? Yes, a good-natured bit of humor this beautiful Sunday morn! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:55PM

My wife is a Julie Rowe fan. Mills Crenshaw was interviewing her on his radio show before he passed when a caller called in and asked if Big Foot was real. She affirmed the listening audience that it was revealed to her that BF is real. So I guess that settles it for those who didn't know.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:06PM

I'm undecided on the subject of big foot.

I did some work out at Lake Quinault in western Washington. The Quinault Indians own the lake and a large block of land.

One day I was doing some work on a house that a white family rented and both husband and wife were teachers in the local school. Student population is made up of mostly native Americans.

At this house I was working on, there was a reported Big Foot sighting just down the road. http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=24379

I related the story in a humorous manner and the woman teacher laughed a little, then said that some of the stories the Native American children tell about monsters and creatures in the woods keeps her indoors at night and she never walks in the woods without her dogs.

True or just scary tales, who knows?

Date: February 26, 2017 02:03PM

Feel free to re-read my post above about primate evolution, etc. You're welcome to research the subject to your heart's content. I started out undecided and "neutral," and I wasted parts of ten to fifteen years on the subject myself, including spending some time in Washington and Northern California, asking people about this stuff. If memory serves, there was also a guy who used to make a lot of "footprints" in various areas where it was claimed Sassie lived... That story came out after he died.

The people in rural mountain areas refer to outsiders derisively as "flatlanders," and they delight in playing pranks, et cetera, or yanking people's gullibility chains. The practice dates back to at least the 19th century when experienced "Mountain Men sorts" indulging in what was called "Loading the Greenhorn."

Here's another sample of a "Bigfoot salesman" making a presentation at a Mufon (UFO) Convention...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeT2FG88PIM

Besides Paulides, you can add Dr. Melba S. Ketchum--and Jeffery Meldrum--to your search parameters.

The claims, particularly Paulides about "Bigfoot DNA" are bullshit, period.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 02:16PM

I would like to add the late Dr. Grover Krantz to your list of crackpots. I think that Meldrum and him corroborated quite a bit.

Date: February 26, 2017 04:07PM

Wow! Born in Salt Lake to an LDS family, but not active...

And a PhD even... Here's the Wiki Bio... What a mixed bag; I see he chimed in on "Kennewick Man," and then debated Duane Gish on the subject of evolution (I'm fond of using term "Gish Gallop" derisively to address a "debate technique" where the practitioner introduces as many "tangential irrelevances" as possible in order to keep the other side off balance).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grover_Krantz

And hey, folks, check out the up-to-date picture of Krantz and his dog, Clyde. Shoot, that would make for a heckuva Halloween decoration...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2017 01:55PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Big Feet, Small Hands ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 05:42PM

Nobody has bigger feet than me. I have the biggest feet. They're YUUUUUUUUGE!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.