Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 25, 2017 11:19PM

This is really a crying shame.

Ill prepared young adults lead to increased crime, depression, alcoholism and drug addiction as they face an uphill battle finding employment - without the job skills or motivation to get them from point A to point B.

People need hope. And along with skills, they need jobs.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 04:38AM

With the church in Utah, sucking ten percent of the economy's wealth from roughly half of the population there, you would think that the church would do something to try to help these people. If for no other reason, they could increase their tithing income. Instead of building malls, they should be supplementing college expenses of active members, or financing projects to help put people to work. That is the kind of thing that real charities do.

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:46PM

Highlighting that Utah schools (many public schools across the country really..) have failed:
The students.
The parents (tax payers)
Society at large by not providing a steady pipeline of readily trainable employees...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 12:55PM

Who needs thinking skills when the prophet has all the answers?

Utah has been sowing the wind for a very long time.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:21PM

Leaders feed just enough 'real life' advice to keep the Morbots coming back for more; they prop up Mormon Royalty as the only acceptable examples / role-models.

Just Exactly what did Chaffitez (sp?) Do to be qualified?

Most LDS are content to feed at the only trough they've ever known.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 01:53PM by GNPE.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:39PM

I love the way that they talk about how important it is to strengthen families, in order to reverse the negative trends in Utah's young adults'. It's as if Deseret News is entirely unaware that all of those Mormon kids are supposed to be the products of the church that claims to be so very big on families and so very wonderful for family life.

What the story says, to me, is that the Mormon way of life is failing in even the most basic ways. The facade of righteousness and hard work is covering a social system that destroys people. It takes away people's ability to think for themselves, the ability to be creative, to question, to explore the world's amazing facets. It's all shoved down into the suffocating bog of Mormon beliefs and practices.

Education is smothered under a blanket of conformity and medieval thinking. Always worrying about things that do not matter in the least, and actively suppressing things that truly do matter.

Not to mention the basic failure of the Word of Wisdom as a guide to a healthy life. The danger of tobacco use is something that pretty much everybody in our society is aware of, without being Mormon. For all of the rest, they emphasize abstaining from things that are either harmless, or that have health benefits --- all the while ignoring things like too much sugar and too much fat that really do hurt people's health.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 01:54PM

amen

Connecting The Dots was never a Mormon strong-point, was it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2017 02:46PM by GNPE.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 04:36PM

and what if the time spent by kids in LDS Inc seminary classes were instead spent learning something practical and useful?

Posted by: Visitors Welcome ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 03:43PM

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 26, 2017 06:21PM

The quality of life lures me to Utah for retirement.

If I had to work there to save for retirement and have a decent standard of living I don't think I would be able to match what I've managed to do working on the East coast.

Not that I'll be wealthy when I retire, by any means. I hope to have enough to be able to manage when I transition back west.

Utah's housing prices outpace the payscale IMO of the communities where people live, work, and raise families. I honestly don't know how they do it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.