Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:03PM

OK didn't work He sent me a couple of links to refute the link I sent him, which I read here's one:

http://maxwellinstitute.byu.edu/publications/review/?vol=4&num=1&id=93

and then he bore his testimony to me and pleaded with me to pray and ask God etc, etc, etc. So here's where I just leave it alone. I'm not ganna start arguing.

Why is it that in his link, the author states some of the translations JS did were actually correct, and goes into specifics, yet in the video I watched, they were saying the translation is completely wrong? Anyone have an answer for that??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: amos ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:30PM

these wordy apologetics are designed only to cloud the question.
TBMs see that a long rebuttal is written and they are pacified, nevermind that the answer isn't at answer at all but more questions...
...this guy uses the same "what if" defense as a criminal defense attorney.
"what if" there are more papyri that weren't found
"what if" apostates sabotaged the work
"what if" ...

But Larson anticipates and ADDRESSES these cop-outs in the book!
I think your best rebuttal is to say, bro, you haven't read the book and this apologist is leaving things out. Check for youself.

Posted by: bingoe4 ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:49PM

"there is reason to believe..." and there is "mounting evidence..."

These are not the same as, "experts now know..."

The reason for the discrepancy between the author of the posted article and the video is that the author is a MORMON. Its his job to make things appear to be true. Its not. J.S. was a conman we all know it, including the author.

Posted by: kdog ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 05:26PM

thanks for that amos! I emailed him back and told him that his link was a REVIEW of a book and that I am going to buy it and read it and that he could read it after me! So from what I understand about this book, apparently it really is AGAINST the LDS church? Is that right? If it is, I can't believe the church would take pieces from a book that argues against them and put it in their website! Amazing! That's quite risky of them!

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:55PM

my urge would be to say: good life good times good food good go with you where ever or whenever you are good weather good loving good food - go get it all

to my brother if I were his brother, not argue about rules & all or his position on religion.

but I understand your urge to have his good life, good love, good times, good food, good weather good success good of all he experiences- be truely the greatest good he can possibly be
and you have found more direct roads to good quality food and a good life.
and this is your brother- truely rib of your rib personally your brother, genetically, in time he is part of you. This goes beyond tribe- this is who you are. He's your brother.

and so you want to share with him something good. You want him in your castle, on your land, & if you own it, next to you in your fleet of air planes or tanks or cadillacs or out on the range with your thousand head of cattle. Brother- he's your brother. You have something good- you want him to own something good as well.

my question is how to get him to get it. Is it like a contact sport or dominance thing where you have to wrestle him down? or run until he drops like in weight training? then your his leader? or is this like teaching him algebra first his times tables, then fractions, then maybe division finally algebra if he can finally get it.
or is this like getting kidnapped or trapped? can it be life changing in a permanent way to be trapped or dragged against your will away from part of the land or people you wanted to be? can that be a permanent life change- if its against your will and who you want to be?
how do you make this change?
how do you make this change,
effectively-
in your brothers' awareness-

so he is where you want him to be with you- good life, good times, good love, good living, good coming to and through both of you which is what you BOTH want right now. you just don't see how.

that's why you're working so hard on him & he engaging so greatly- embracing mentally logically emotionally- with you.

he's your brother. Best to you.

Posted by: Thread Killer ( )
Date: October 23, 2010 02:58PM

Quote from Maxwell site: "Also in his explanation of figure 1, Joseph Smith states that the Earth is called Jah-oh-eh by the Egyptians. The Egyptian word for the Earth is 3h.t, which is approximately pronounced "yoh-heh".

Any relevance here? Was JS lucky? Or is "approximately pronounced" the same as "Jabberwocky" approximately pronounced "Jello'"?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.