Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:52PM

A remote relative by marriage visited Utah recently to see family sites and as it turns out, work on a documentary he's making about the Mormons.

He visited Temple Square and was shooting a video, and had just said how friendly the Mormons are when a security guard confronted him and told him he had to take his cameras and leave. He continued filming and said he was just saying how nice the Mormons are. He decided that he will leave in the confrontation as the last scene of his documentary.

I suppose the right thing for him to do would have been to ask for permission ahead of time. This guy is not a Mormon and I don't think he knew much about them until his recent interest in researching family.

I remember when Temple Square was more like a public square. Of course, my memory goes back to days before protests were common, although even when I was a child often there were people standing outside the gate distributing anti-Mormon literature.

My latest experiences at Temple Square have been that the missionaries pester you to death, even if you tell them you are a Mormon. I told him if he avoided the missionaries he was lucky.

So--is it the case that a visitor can't even make a video on Temple Square?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: aaron ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:04PM

if you have seen https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religulous by Bill Marh you would see that mormon security does not take kindly to outsiders with video cameras.

Posted by: de ja vue ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:05PM

I worked security on Temple Square for a short time. I concluded that all of those who work as such are somewhat anal to say the least. Good little solders who watch for opportunities to demonstrate their prowess and impress their buddies and the hierarchy. Glad I got to see beast from a bit of it's underbelly but really glad when I left the cults employ.

Date: February 21, 2017 04:07PM

sorry I meant Bill Maher.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:11PM

Sounds about right, you make a good point about missionaries pestering the members cuz I have experienced that why do they hassle members?

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:14PM

My understanding is that at Mormon historic sites they give everybody the first discussion whether they are Mormon or not as part of their first general order which is to Testify of Christ at all times and in all places". They don't know if you are just pretending to be Mormon to get out of taking the discussion.

Date: February 21, 2017 04:26PM

I think they pester members out of boredom. When you are a missionary you look for anyone who will talk to you. I can't imagine how weird it would be to be a missionary on temple square. You are trained to testify, if there is a member that comes into your field of vision you would probably take the opportunity to talk to them. You would want to show them how committed you are to the cause. Weird church!!!!.

Date: February 21, 2017 04:59PM

Very weird church

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:03PM

Mormons are frequently clueless about the fact that other religious temples and sites around the world welcome cameras and visitors and inquiries, with little or no interference whatsoever. Their paranoia should be very telling.

Date: February 21, 2017 05:12PM

Telling indeed I saw their paranoia when Bill Maher did it alone

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 06:24PM

Since it *is* private property, and not public, the church does indeed have the "right" to ask people to stop recording things and/or leave.

However, their "policy" isn't posted anywhere, or consistently applied, or even sane. Essentially, Joe and Jane just-married-in-the-temple can have a full-blown professional photo gig going on, with tripods, lights, video & still cameras, etc., without any prior permission, and nobody will say a word.

But if you *look* like you're recording video/stills for your own purposes that aren't to glorify the cult, they'll single you out and kick you out.

It's what cults do.

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:10PM

Well there ya go. Just hire a 'bride and groom' to pose for pics and videos all over temple square and you could probably get away with a good amount of documentary material. Afterall, they crank those brides and grooms out like it's a factory. I doubt anyone would bat an eye at another just married couple being photographed/videotaped. My only 2 siblings that were temple married got married there and we are from CA.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 06:36PM

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 07:48PM

So will they leave you alone if you dress in a tacky polyester suit and wear your own missionary nametag?

Date: February 21, 2017 08:39PM

Its possible

Posted by: Southern ExMo ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 08:55PM

Well, you'd probably need a companion dressed in a similar tacky polyester suit and nametag in order to get away with it.

Missionaries cannot be trusted to be alone for a single moment, not even in the middle of Temple Square, ya know.

Posted by: Phantom Shadow ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 08:34PM

OK, I agree that it is private property and that the church has some rights. It does seem to me that "private" property that is held open and encourages public visitors is not so private. I will have to research this issue.

And yes, ificouldhie, why isn't the privacy claim posted for visitors? If you are open to the public, why not give a warning that there are limits? Reminds me of when visitors to Russia or the USSR could get in trouble for taking photos of "restricted" sites.

A few years back a friend and I were followed all over Temple Square by a pair of seriously creepy sister missionaries. We cleared the experience out of our heads by visiting Gilgal Gardens and taking some seriously blasphemous photos which I have not yet posted online.

But then, I'm sure many of you have similar photos.

I don't think the videos the guy was making were going to injure the cult in any way. I'll let you know if the documentary sees the light of day.

Did the fact that he has a beard make it more difficult for him?

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:21PM

Please let us know what you find out. I'm curious if there are any restrictions at all on what someone can require of visitors to private property that is open to the public.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:10PM

There really aren't any restrictions on what they can do (as long as it is legal). Private property is private property and it isn't "open to the public" as much as "the public is welcome". The public has no right or claim to the property and enter at the churches invitation, which can be withdrawn.

This was the crux of the legal argument when the city gave the church Main Street yet kept the public right-of-way. The courts ruled that maintaining the right of way gave the public the right to traverse the property, so the city abandoned the right-of-way claim.

If they don't like how your dressed,your earrings or nose rings,they are within their right to ask you to leave or NOT ask you to leave. They do not have to be consistent, which probably why filming and cameras prohibitions are not posted. It is ok for some folk,but not others.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:04PM

Mormons LOVE POWER TRIPS!
there's something about that / authority in the D&C, but I won't bother to look it up because most LDS will slide out of applying it to themselves (as most anything/everything!)

Lots of LDS stuff is b/w, but the application sure isn't!!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:20PM

D&C 121 (sorry, sometimes I can't remember my phone number, but Morg Scriptures are seared into my brain)!

I get a kick how church security men wear headsets with little earpieces and speak into walkie-talkies. Somehow, I doubt that my presiding bishop wants or needs such security around her.

Date: February 21, 2017 09:45PM

Yes they do now sir we need you to move over here this area is restricted.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:41PM

I think they should put up a big sign.

This is Private Property. Proceed at Your Own Risk.

We Reserve the Right to Judge You at Will and Kick Your Ass if Necessary.

Visitors Welcome!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.