Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 07:44AM

Sad, but true.

"Former teen heartthrob David Cassidy has revealed that he is suffering from dementia and has quit performing.

The onetime star of "The Partridge Family" spoke to People magazine about his health following a weekend concert in California during which he reportedly struggled to remember the lyrics to songs he has been singing for 50 years. The 66-year-old also appeared to fall off the stage at one point.

Cassidy gained fame on the television series, which ran from 1970 to 1974. He played Keith Partridge, the oldest of five children in a musical family that formed a band.

He was blindingly handsome, with a fresh-scrubbed look and hair that was long yet perfectly coiffed. After the show's run ended, Cassidy went on to a solo musical career.

Cassidy told People that he had watched his grandfather struggle with dementia, and had also seen his mother "disappear" into dementia until she died at age 89.

"I was in denial, but a part of me always knew this was coming," he said.

Over the past decade, Cassidy has struggled with personal problems, including three arrests for drunk driving, divorce and bankruptcy.

He joins a growing list of '60s and '70s stars who are now facing dementia....

Earlier this month, Cassidy said on his official website that he would continue touring through the end of 2017 before retiring.

But, though his website still lists concert dates for the rest of this year, he told People that he would now quit performing.

"I want to focus on what I am, who I am and how I've been, without any distractions," he said. "I want to love. I want to enjoy life.""

May the force be with you, David Cassidy.

http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/david-cassidy-partridge-family-star-reveals-he-has-dementia-n723476

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:57AM

Really tragic (to me) to watch. I think the last three decades would have been very different if he didn't drink alcohol. No doubt killing brain cells didn't help.

Date: February 21, 2017 11:21AM

His dad died in a fire caused from falling asleep when he was drunk, with a burning lit cigarette smoldering into the couch he fell asleep on.

David seemed to have his act together better than his dad. That damned alcoholism is a vicious disease!

Posted by: carameldreams ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:10PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> That damned alcoholism is a vicious disease!

Indeed. Overwhelmingly, data shows caffeinated coffee and tea have protective qualities against dementia. And fish oils!

David really hit the bottle hard. So did Glen Campbell. Ethanol isn't good for neural processes.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:10AM

Despite the previous bankruptcy, he's probably in better shape than most people in terms of being able to provide for himself under these circumstances.

Date: February 21, 2017 11:22AM

I hope so, for his sake. Although the blood-sucking assisted living facilities will bleed him dry if he gets in their clutches.

:*(

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 11:34AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:39AM

It's sad--I don't wish it on anyone. Scares the hell out of me.

I wonder if performers become aware of this affliction sooner than because of their need to remember lyrics or dialogue? Other may stay in denial longer, but when you're up on stage...

Date: February 21, 2017 04:03PM

The article cited indicates many entertainers of that era (60's-70's,) are learning they have dementia entering their sunset years.

It's normal for the memory to get a little rusty as we age. It's when it starts to really trip up, like with Cassidy on stage, it's no longer something he can be in denial about.

Glen Campbell was another one. He went downhill not too rapidly. He sang for quite awhile, on the road, just to keep him mentally active longer. When that proved too much, he's now in a nursing care facility with around the clock care.

I liked his music too, back in the day. David Cassidy and Bobby Sherman were both heartthrobs. I was torn between them in my junior high years. What wasn't to like? ;)

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 01:14AM

I have read for years that doing things like crossword puzzles, learning a new language, yada, yada - (pushing your mind to learn new things) can help prevent dementia.

Then why the bloody he!! did somebody like Charlton Heston, who had to memorize scripts that must have been as long as Russian novels, die of Alzheimer's???

That single fact seems to blow all those other "prevention" strategies right out of the water, for me.

I have difficulty remembering what day and date it is. I have to keep referring to today's newspaper, always left on the dining room table. I'm grateful to have that as a reference. And I can re-watch episodes of favorite programs on Netflix. While I sometimes remember bits and pieces of the plot, or some of the characters, I can usually watch each program with the same enjoyment as I did the first time I saw it. Yeah, this is a bit scary. But it is what it is. If I spent all my time worrying, I would drive my blood pressure up and probably die of a stroke.

Nobody gets out of here alive, anyway.

Date: February 22, 2017 07:52AM

I never had a problem remembering what day it was until my concussion in 2013. Since then I've really had to work to regain my memory for days of the week. It's strange how a single concussion can affect a certain area of the brain like that.

For me it was recall for what day of the week it is.

Can't afford any more concussions lol.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 02:09AM

that is a tragedy

in former years, I could not help but laugh every time I heard or thought of his father's name.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 03:09AM

You know the President of "The Church" can lay his blessed hands a persons head and by the power of his "Priesthoods" and green apron with fig leaves remove any and all illness from a person. There is always a small donation that is required. The person has to believe and comic God has to want it to happen.

Date: February 22, 2017 07:55AM

I've had two miraculous healings that came through prayers, that I know of. One was a priesthood blessing, where I could feel the windows of heaven opening, and an instantaneous healing occurring over me as it was being said.

The other time was a prayer I whispered myself, when I was too weak to speak one. I felt an angel there with me, and in an instant I was relieved of the malady that left me so weak I honestly thought I was going to die.

Prayer is a conduit to heaven. I've had them answered other times in my life as well, so I know there's a power there that defies logic.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.