Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:24AM

Before I left on a mission to England, I was going to baptize 100's of Britts just like my friends in Mexico were doing to the Mexicans.

I am now so glad I never meet you. My guilt level for not teaching you the urban myths I believed is low snd for that I am grateful.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: windyway ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:58AM

So the baptismal numbers seem to be best in South America and Africa. In our European ward, the majority of our new converts are refugees.

This makes me wonder, as I did before I was on this (ex) side of doubting Mormonism, whether it serves a useful purpose of helping pull families out of hyper patriarchal family models or more disorderly life circumstances. I'm not saying this as an argument for Mormonism, but just an observation:

If education and wealth are directly linked to convertability, then the LDS Church faces some fascinating problems.

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:00AM

I lived in the UK from 1960 to 1983 but remained resolutely non-mormon.

If I was one of the people that you DIDN'T baptize, themaster, THANK YOU!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 01:06PM by Soft Machine.

Posted by: Britboy ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:15PM

So how many did you baptise?

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:18PM

I baptized one poor 9 year old, whose mother had recently reactivated, in Italy. I would imagine that would be fairly similar across Western Europe.

Posted by: copolt ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:45PM

I liked almost all of the missionaries who came here and I'm sure I'd have liked meeting you too.

I have very fond memories of you well-intentioned guys. It certainly wasn't all negative. Now that the Mormon beliefs have disappeared I still value those personal friendships.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:49PM

Maybe its a good thing I never went on a mission

Posted by: the1v ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:27PM

I gave a few brits a much needed bath the first few months of my mission. They all attended exactly once and then never returned. Then I rebelled and said "Hell no" to manipulating mentally handicap people.

I had one baptism in my second 18 months on my mission. It was the sister the the local branch president. It caused her all sorts of marriage problems and issues with her two teenage boys. Her letters is one of the reasons I ended up leaving so soon after my mission.

Posted by: op47 ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:36PM

I am a Brit you never baptised. Go in peace.

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 06:15PM

I actually worked to contact all the folks I baptized to apologize for lying to them.

I did not want my memory or legacy to stand in any way in anyone's thoughts as a testimony builder. Over a third were already out I discovered, lol.

Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 07:33PM

I live in the UK. In my home ward was a woman who was baptised and kept in touch with the American Elder who first contacted her. He stopped replying to her letters sometime in the 1970s but his mother wrote to her and explained that since returning from Vietnam, where he was put on a flame-thrower team, he'd stopped believing in god, Jesus and the church. At a F&T meeting she said it was her duty to write to him for the rest of her life.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 08:51PM

For my mission - the average was you would teach a lesson to someone who joined. We taught a family of seven that joined so my numbers were higher than most but they went inactive a month later when the wife learned about home teaching.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.