Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 10:46PM

I found it weird that I was made fun of for a lot of things growing up but all the adults never grew up and left the nest of mormonism once they became adults they didnt become independent and live on their own without superiors, I left the church at 18 so why didnt they leave?, I made a return later in life but still I left the nest. So why do Mormons make fun of people who aren't independent and yet they have never left the mormon nest to live real independent lives. Has anybody else experienced this pressure and total hypocrisy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:14AM

I never experienced anything like that, but I had taken notice that there are many mormons (in the wards that I was a part of) that had not left the nest. A lot of the women I knew (and attended institute with) either lived with parents or a relative until they got married. Those same women did not attend school either; just worked dead-end jobs and waited to meet their eternal mate.

Some of the men I knew lived independently though. A group of them would just chip in a rent an apartment together.

I was 25 when I moved out on my own. I wanted to move on my own when I graduated high-school, but did not have the money to do it -or to go away to college. Circumstances beyond my control caused me to stay with a (former) co-worker's mother-in-law over the summer. The fall semester was approaching so I knew that I had to find a place, with a job that only paid $9.50 an hour (in an addition to paying for my own education). But I made it work - considering how expensive Howard County is!

Fast forward many years later, when I landed a job with Kaiser Permanente, and was in the middle of leaving Columbia, one of the women that I had rode to church with asked me if I was going to live with my aunt. I told her no, that I will only stay with her temporarily until I found a place. She asked me why wouldn't I live with my aunt. I just told her that I loved my aunt, but I am a 30-something adult that needs to be independent.
At the moment I wondered if she thought that I should live with my aunt because 1) I'm single and that's a part of the culture (not to assume) or 2) because I'm disabled (altered vision caused by a cerebral hemorrhage eight years ago).

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 08:49AM

In Mormonism you're seen and treated as either a child or a parent. No other acceptable options. And you're expected to jump straight from being a child to being a parent. Building an independent life is seen as shirking your duty. Because the church is really about the church, not about individuals.

Some Mormons like that they can do the proper Mormon thing without doing the independent life thing. Independence is harder.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:09PM

That's true, in Mormonism, you're either treated like a child or parent. Missionaries are treated like children as they're not allowed to make their own decisions, and have strict rules they have to live by. Then, after the mission, they're treated like children until they jump straight into becoming parents. In a way, you have "children" raising children as Mormons never get the chance to become fully adult before they become parents.

Outside of Mormonism, most legal adults leave the nest and live independently, and if they live with someone, it's roommates they choose for themselves, or someone they're dating and might marry, as living together without marriage isn't the taboo it is in Mormonism.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 01:04PM

Sure it does.
Confess to your parents that you have doubts, or are thinking of not going to church -- and they kick you out of the nest. And cut you off. And shun you. And tell everyone you're sinning.

See? :)

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:16PM

I don't know if that's true. They just like to dictate the particulars of how and with whom you will leave the nest. They are also very concerned with your making your new nest functionally identical to your first nest.

Posted by: not logged in ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:17PM

Mormons are encouraged to marry young - before they are in the financial position to support themselves, let alone a spouse and children.

I've watched many of my kid's friends marry and continue to live at a parent's home.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:42PM

All good points I just learned with my own experience you literally have to break off and learn adulthood the hard way with many ups and downs rather than being treated like an adult by family and taught how to be an adult in the real world, but now I look at my father and I see he really never had a mind of his own to teach me anything still owned by the church still in the nest. And my older sister even though married with kids she is always living with family to survive, they mentally can't survive independently is what I'm saying.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.