Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:04PM

That one of my great great grandpas and two (or more of his brothers,) were bodyguards of Brigham Young! That's news to me!

She's a better genealogist than I am. And jumps through more hoops than the tigers at Barnum and Bailey's Three Ring circus!

So now I'll need to research that more, since I hadn't known of it before tonight.

Well, guess Briggy needed bodyguards every bit as much as Joey did. He had at least as many enemies, if not more.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:20PM

if it's porter rockwell we might be cousins? :^)

Date: February 20, 2017 08:22PM

It wasn't Porter, but I betcha my great great grandpa and Porter knew of each other!

It's a small, small world. :)

My gggrandpa's dad had been a bodyguard of Joseph Smith before he was martyred, and my ggggrandpa died in Illinois prior to his family making the trip westward to Utah. The adult children and the widow made the journey with some of their sons, their wives and families who came with the various wagon trains that went westward.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 08:25PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:35PM

Were they a Sessions, Hatch or Clark?

Date: February 20, 2017 09:42PM

Nope, but I went to school with some Sessions, Hatches, and Clarks. Bet they're all related somehow (in the Morridor!)

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:50PM

Like Lord of the rings morrider? Jk

Date: February 21, 2017 06:55AM

There's magic in them hills! ;)

You know you're from Idaho when crossing the state line from Utah, I blasted the blippity car horn like it was the 4th of July.

That's where I spent the majority of my childhood. :)

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 02:15AM

I differ with referring to Joseph Smith as being "martyred"- he got off some shots, too! He was murdered, lynched maybe, or just killed.

Date: February 21, 2017 07:01AM

I see it as a combination of all the above.

He was a martyr for his cause, even as it's one I can no longer support.

He was killed, murdered, assassinated, executed, martyred. He died a painful death nonetheless.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 02:57AM

It is believed that Brigham Young was poisoned. If so, I wonder if it was revenge for making John D. Lee take the rap for MMM. Or maybe John Taylor just wanted to grab the reins of power. Whatever the reason, it looks like the bodyguards that he had at that point didn't do him any good.

Date: February 21, 2017 06:48AM

I've heard that too. Some speculation one of his 55 wives may have done the bloke in.

That makes sense to me, thinking of the many twisted love triangles he was a part of.

Posted by: Journey ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:09AM

My ex always claimed his ancestor, Joseph Holbrook, was a bodyguard for Joseph Smith. When we received a copy of his autobiography, there were no such statements.

There were, however, stories of his marriage in his late 60s to a teenager, which disgusted me. Thereafter I always referred to him as "that pervert".

Date: February 21, 2017 10:09AM

Perv sounds about apt to describe him. :(

That there were lynch mobs lying in wait to get at Joey and company, were in large part driven by those defending their homes, families, (and women,) from the prying eyes and hands of one polygamist within their community, Joseph Smith Jr.

Posted by: Trails end ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:33AM

More appropriate job description might be ...lying manipulating narcissistic sociopathic despotic sacks of shit guards...or might throw in a side of pulled it outta their ass guards...how well i remember the patriotic passion with which we zealots sat up all night watching the road into short creek...erval lebarons hit list had our dear leaders name on it...war was declared...my how we thought we were doing a great work defending our leader...yet id say he was ten times the man joey or briggy were...but just as deluded...doing the lards work like sneaking Taylor around in the dark dressed as a woman so he could marry another seventeen year old when he was 78...moving the boulder along by golly

Date: February 21, 2017 09:50AM

Right on, brother Trails end, right on!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.