Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: C2NR ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 07:16PM

The bones are 8,400 years. I mention it only because of the contradiction with the BofM. Maybe it will one more book on the shelf for somebody.

http://www.tri-cityherald.com/news/local/article133780309.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 10:04AM

Posted by: lindy ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:13AM

Totally OT with this reply but for me WA is Western Australia ( where I live) and I just remembered in time it could also be Washington state. I thought something exciting had happened in my state..so exciting it even made it to RFM.

Maybe one day.......

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:27PM

The only interesting thing recently is what happened in Sweden :)

Posted by: soyunateo ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:56AM

This sort of thing definitely was a weight on my shelf. I'm not sure if I remember the same story you're talking about, but when I was a senior in high school, in the seminary council, a story broke about finding very old human remains in Montana. While I at first I played the limited geography model card in my mind, my seminary teacher brought it up and talked about how we just needed to exercise faith that DNA testing, continental drift theories, etc. were wrong.
I came to the conclusion that I could either ignore parts of science to continue believing in my religion, or ignore parts of my religion to keep believing in science. Getting tired of doing mental gymnastics with this and other topics is what broke my shelf.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:05PM

I understand Native American sensibilities, but the behavior of the Army Corps of Engineers was atrocious, and it was only litigation by scientists that proved KM was a Native American.

Even now the Internet is rife with claims he was European, but DNA gathered from before the Corps seized the remains was useful in finally determining his ancestry.

Incidentally, his autosomal DNA (nuclear) showed he was descended from Siberians that crossed the land bridge ~15,000 years ago, and his mitochondrial DNA, haplogroup X2a, stamped "bunk" on claims of any ancient seafarers coming here from Europe before the Vikings. That includes the "Solutrean Silliness" being promoted by Dennis Stanford and Bruce Bradley.

https://violentmetaphors.com/2015/06/22/encouraging-science-journalism-the-genome-of-kennewick-man/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2017 12:14PM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 01:01PM

Hmmm...... if North American was populated by Siberians that crossed the land bridge, that means there aren't any "Native Americans", we are all emigrants.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 06:37PM

Yes, humans originally came from equatorial Africa and then spread to other parts of the world but I'd say since Native Americans were the first humans to arrive and have been in the Americas for over fifteen thousand years that gives them fist dibs.

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 03:11PM

That is correct. There are no Native Americans, Or anything but Africans. Which makes the White and delightsom hilarious.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:17PM

It floors me sometimes that there are still educated TBM's around. But then, I was a convert and don't have the "roots" that so many Mormons are stuck with. I can't imagine their sentiments.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:34PM

Some Mormons don't even blink at this. They simply state that radiocarbon dating is wrong and that Kennewick man's DNA is proof of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. Nothing can get through the thick skulls of some LDS members.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:38PM

Don't know what that is does that mean I'm a dummy?

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 10:17AM

Kennewick Man is the name given to a 9,000 year old skeleton unearthed on the banks of the Columbia River in 1996. A forensic investigator named Jim Chatters initially said the remains "looked Caucasoid," and boyhowdy, everything went cuckoo from there.

He was variously claimed to have European, Ainu, and other ancestries.

Native American tribes in the area wanted his remains reburied without study, and for political reasons, the Army Corps of Engineers got involved. They were seeking tribal support for one of their hydraulic projects, as I recall. A group of scientists sued, but the Corps remained intransigent and had the skeleton confiscated.

Fortunately, some samples of his DNA were taken beforehand, and initially they proved inconclusive. The brilliant Danish molecular biologist, Eske Willerslev, eventually identified KM's mitochondrial DNA as X2a, and his nuclear DNA was shown to be related to all native North Americans and more closely related to South American Indians.

Here's some solid scientific reporting by a molecular biologist I've enjoyed corresponding with:

https://violentmetaphors.com/2015/11/11/responses-to-some-questions-about-our-recently-published-paper-on-haplogroup-x-and-north-american-prehistory/

The relevance to "Mormon Issues" is many LDS apologists have hung their priesthood robes on the presence of mtDNA haplogroup X2a as "possible evidence" for ancient Hebrews in North America. "X" is the only hg found in the Middle East, but X2a isn't. With Willerslev's work, it was established that X2a was present here 8,500 years ago, long before any mythical Nephites or Lamanites. X2a is also only distantly related to Old World X haplogroups.

You're welcome to venture out onto various Internet sites for the alt.reality discussions of the subject, but fair warning: Some of those cuckoo clocks should never have been taught to use a computer, seriously.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.