Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:11PM

Am i the only person who finds it strange that there are scholarly works debunking mormonism's truth claims?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 06:41PM

There are "scholarly works" debunking the truth claims of all sorts of groups. Including most of the world's religions.

That's a good thing -- because usually (sadly, not always) "scholars" cite their sources, research thoroughly, and provide good evidence for their conclusions. :)

Thus such "scholarly works" carry more weight than Joe from the corner store saying, "Them mormons -- they're nuts!" :)

Date: February 20, 2017 09:37PM

very true ---

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 07:02PM

Strange? No. You probably are, in fact, not the only one. I may do itsome day, if I ever finish schooling. Debunking is good - I never liked bunkbeds. Any links on the quote unquote 'pure bs'?

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 07:08PM

You are probably right but give me one example.

Date: February 20, 2017 09:17PM

I don't have any examples to offer, but sometimes I'm amazed at what has sprung up in the wake of Joseph Smith's tall tales.

Psychologists, apologist, message boards, research into the nonsense - disproving something based on plants, horses, and steel - arguments revolving around geography - how much would golden plates weigh, what would a boat/submarine look like that crossed the ocean to the new world, how was the language lost, what does NHM on a rock mean . . . it's an endless web of thinking and reasoning out of one man's lies.

Date: February 20, 2017 11:57PM

Gotcha the jaredite subs have always fascinated me on how could one navigate or survive in one of those things.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:06PM

Certainly less strange than scholarly works *supporting* mormonism's truth claims?

Date: February 20, 2017 09:18PM

I can't even imagine embarking on such torment.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 08:17PM

I find it even more strange when religious scholars write about the nature of god, heaven, angels and how to spin science of the day to fit their dogma. And they get away with it! They manage to convince others THEY are the scholars. Go figure.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 09:32PM

There is a lot of "scholarly " trying to prove mormonism.

Here is the practical application.

If someone was making claims to your loved one that by purchasing membership in their club and devoting hours of their lives, 20 to 30 percent of their take home pay, allow the club to dictate their dress, diet, entertainment choices, friends etc and to shun family member and divorce spouses if they don't agree with the club, wouldn't you want hard facts to save your family?

I can say that I believe there is a star gate to other worlds under Cheyenne mountain. So what?

I can say that there are woolly mammoths wandering siberia. Again so what?

I can swear the moon landings were faked.

There may be a lot of scientific study to counter my claims but...I am not stealing money, breaking up families or dictating that you must let me dictate your lifestyle.

The church causes harm. People kill themselves because of the harm the church has caused. Families are destroyed.

I say God bless the people shinning a light into the depths of hell and exposing the beast in the pit.

Date: February 20, 2017 09:38PM

I'm all for it too, but I'm still amazed at the sheer amount of brainpower & time that has gone into responding to one man's lies. It's mind-boggling.

Date: February 21, 2017 12:02AM

Uh oh you said the moon landings were faked brace yourself the anti-conspiracy guys are coming.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:03AM

It takes more time and effort to debunk a ridiculous claim than it takes to make one.

Date: February 21, 2017 07:35AM

Ya. maybe it takes more effort to debunk a ridiculous claim than to debunk a somewhat reasonable claim.

Posted by: just sayin ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 08:18AM

I don't think that I would characterize it as "strange."

Until the internet age, Mormonism claimed to rest on the strength of its "truths." Through a vast amount of effort and hard work debunking those "truths," many, many thousands of lives have been freed from the cult. The abuses propagated by Mormonism require privacy and control of information.

Debunkers deny them both, and in doing so, save lives from ongoing torment.

I find nothing "strange" in that, nothing at all. Mormon debunkers care about others, and put their shoulders to the wheel to prove it. I find it strange that their humanity might be called "strange."

I pay honor to their courage, often standing alone, strengths of character and integrity, and generous gifts of years of work.

They fight the "strange." I guess it can be expected that when one sees these warriors of the pen covered in the blood of "strange," it may be difficult who has done the greater bleeding.

The truth will out.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:24AM

Who would you rather have debunking mormonism ?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.