Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:51PM

So I saw the Natalie Portman film Jackie last night. There's a line in there after JFK is shot where she mentions how the "Birch Society" would be happy about it. I assume she was referring to the John Birch Society, which I've mostly learned about here since Ezra Taft Benson was a huge fan.

Can anyone give me more context for this line, or what members of the church thought about the Kennedys in general? I know that Utah voted for Nixon in 1964, but that's about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:59PM

The Birchers *hated* Kennedy.
Mainly because of his actions on civil rights.

http://www.orwelltoday.com/jfkjbs.shtml

http://www.orwelltoday.com/jfkjbsdallasad.shtml

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 02:50PM

Utah voted for Nixon in 1964?

They're further behind the times than I thought.

HINT: Nixon didn't run in 1964.

Date: February 20, 2017 03:40PM

Whoops. Meant 1960. I was clearly paying attention during the movie.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 02:57PM

Yes, she was referring to the John Birch Society, an ultra-conservative political organization. Members were often referred to as "Birchers," and they would have been no fans of the Kennedys. My parents were Goldwater Republicans, and the Birchers, who were active in our small town, were too much even for them.

It's still around, but you don't hear too much about them anymore.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 01:00AM

My younger son's father-in-law is the genuine article, a frothing-at-the-mouth Bircher.

We had dinner with them years ago, shortly after our son married their daughter. FIL started in on Bircher politics, and I thought to myself, "OMG, we've got a live one here." I was well acquainted with Birchers; Bircher-baiting had been a well-respected and popular activity when I was in college.

But my sweet, innocent, naïve, then-TBM DH didn't have a clue. He stayed mostly quiet during FIL's ranting, having figured out that the guy had slipped a cog or two. Once we were in the privacy of our car, on our way home, I explained the diagnosis.

Since then, I left the church and DH became inactive. Last year, after the debacle about the children of gay parents being denied any kind of church advancement, our son and his wife quietly left the church. They don't have much to do any more with the fruitcake Bircher or his wife.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 04:08PM

What a strange thing! I was in (what was then called) junior high school when Kennedy was shot. It was announced over the school PA system when I was in drafting class. After I got home, it was all over the tv (all 4 channels that we got).

I was very sad, and I remember the neighbor across the street crying. But then my mother came home from work, acting like nothing had happened. I told her about Kennedy and she said something like, "Oh, yes. I know. The next one will be just as bad."

Then she went about her evening routine, humming and acting perfectly normally. I don't remember ever hearing anything from either of my parents that would indicate that they found the assassination to be anything unsettling or even noteworthy at all. It surprised me greatly, as everyone else I knew was totally preoccupied with the subject.

This is the first time that I've put 1 (Kennedy's assassination) and 1 (my parents were fanatical Birchers) together to get 2 (why they weren't at all upset about it).

Posted by: Anon370H55V ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:02AM

My stepfather did a happy dance when Kennedy was assassinated. A for-real happy dance, laughing and cheering. We weren't allowed to watch any of the funeral coverage either.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 11:15AM

My father was pretty happy about it too. We watched the TV footage all day, the same thing over and over and over. I cried a lot. My dad said that the only bad thing was that now they needed to find someone to shoot Johnson. So I expected that to happen any day. Can't wait to see the movie.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:08AM

Oh boy here we go JFK was not assassinated by Lee "AWW IVE been Shot" nevermind guys.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 07:10AM

?????

Nobody in the thread said anything about Oswald not being the assassin. Except you, that is. I have not the foggiest idea what point you were trying to make in the second part of your comment

Date: February 21, 2017 08:36AM

I interpreted it as a joke. He was about to reveal to us the "real" shooter, but then was shot in order to keep him quiet.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:54PM

Wasn't very funny I know, I'm recovering from foot surgery right now so maybe I should be more serious.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:20AM

This was before my time, but I recall reading that the bretheren really didn't like Kennedy. McKay commented on how unseasoned he was even implying his youth made him unfit to rule the land.

Kennedy came and payed homage to the bretheren even speaking in the tabernacle, he praised the pioneer spirit in Utah and the Mormon Church, and spoke some of the finest most patriotic words in his whole presidency right here.

Date: February 21, 2017 09:35AM

poopstone Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Kennedy came and payed homage to the bretheren
> even speaking in the tabernacle, he praised the
> pioneer spirit in Utah and the Mormon Church, and
> spoke some of the finest most patriotic words in
> his whole presidency right here.

http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/?pid=74176

And yet...Utah voted for Nixon, not Kennedy.
Possibly because people like E.T. Benson and his Bircher pals were calling Kennedy a communist and a race traitor...

Posted by: blindguy ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 09:44AM

The other reason that McKay and his crowd (including Bruce McConki--forgive any spelling errors) didn't like JFK was because he was Roman Catholic. The fear among some conservative Protestants (though I don't know if this applied to the LDS hierarchy) was that JFK was taking his marching orders from the Roman pope.

Date: February 21, 2017 09:47AM

Yes, that was one of their fears, and a fear of many American protestants at the time.
Ironically, though, it was perfectly fine for Utah's legislators to take their marching orders from the "prophet." Oh, the hypocrisy...:)

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 09:02AM

Fine, patriotic words? but he was in favor of civil rights! I thought that would just about put him on your enemies list there, poopstone, you raving loon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 09:02AM by midwestanon.

Date: February 21, 2017 10:05AM

Some interesting analysis on E.T. Benson, the Birchers, conflicts in the church over the Birchers, and Kennedy...

http://www.mormonchronicle.com/img/Ezra-Taft-Benson-and-Mormon-Political-Conflicts.pdf

Date: February 22, 2017 07:13AM

I want to thank everyone who contributed here. I know Ezra Taft Benson wasn't a Bircher himself, but he was a huge fan. These stories provide a lot of context.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.