Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 06:51PM

In the real world, but it's hard to find and hard to form. Not sure why its so hard to create but it is. Its ok to vent to random strangers every now and then online I guess but its not really what a person needs in the end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 07:08PM

Why not try a 12-step group? There are a lot of different ones. They say they are spiritual but not religious.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 07:10PM by brigidbarnes.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 07:11PM

Consider the Masons, where you can learn secret words and handshakes! (sarcasm) (Seriously): There are fraternal lodges, alumni groups, charitable outfits.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 08:41PM

Service organizations can be rewarding like The Rotary Club. Also, groups like Toastmasters can also be a great way to plug into the business community. My dad was an atheist and member of Toastmasters for decades. Most of the people at his funeral were part of his community there.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 09:41PM

Date: February 19, 2017 10:00PM

12 step is not for me I met one cool guy in the past at one of those and we stay in touch here and there

Date: February 19, 2017 10:05PM

Toastmasters sounds a little too high class for me probably but I don't know much about it.

Posted by: dp ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 11:20PM

Do you have hobbies? Sports? Music? Hiking? Stamp collecting? Anything? If so, are there others in your area that have the same or similar hobbies? Try looking around on meetup.com or similar sites, maybe even craigslist.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:07AM

I like music and gaming but I keep forgetting about sites like meetup.com

Posted by: thorn ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 11:26PM

Got a few mates I ride with, all enthusiastic bikers. Any like minded people can get an informal group together and do the what you love doing together. Better than a ridged religious or club with lots of rules IMO.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:04AM

Thats what I'm talking about an informal group doing something that we love whatever that may be like hiking or gaming or picnicking or just hanging out and watching a movie.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 11:45PM

Play online video games? My son in law for example plays one game with old friends, another with part of a random team, they hear each other and talk in headsets while playing (so not alone,) he designs and maintains lands or places his friends run games in or build things in for another long running game.

Do you share one of my adult children's sentiments,
She and her very internet savvy spouse think only old people like me have hobbies lol (despite growing mushrooms, making beer, fishing, making jelly, crocheting slippers, canning fish, welding bar b qs, smoking jerky/ these things are not hobbies to them lol lol)

Do you ride bicycles
One cousin rides bikes in a pack, and purchases adventures like athletic survival games weekends.

Do walk or run or swim
One person I know trains and does partial triathakons or shorter pay an entrance fee run with huge crowds. See they don't have to win they just have to go there. Run. Buy a t shirt.

Do you taste alcoholic beverages
One cousin retired and bought a storefront in a pretty place selling wine now, he arranges wine tasting events. So you go and talk while you taste wine.

Do you look at pictures on walls ... you can attend art galleries.
I got invited to an art gallery for a mans art work being shown ( didn't go he was too handy wouldn't keep his hands to himself when I was walking to required events near him on the sidewalk between buildings) so even if I knew him and he was finally showing his art, I wouldn't go.

Do feel comfortable standing or carrying things, you can volunteer to help with rescues, evacuation and homeless meals

I'm only comfortable with very large meet up groups. And I wouldn't want to accidentally join a cult , or accidentally go to a meditation center just out of loneliness and get a guru who brainwashed their followers (like a modern Joseph Smith in yoga clothes) so be careful out there

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:04AM

I don't crave community, but I do crave human brains. I think Zombie Jesus bit me. I won't be going back to church because I would starve there.

Date: February 20, 2017 12:43AM

So you crave isolation?

Posted by: molightplz ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 02:32AM

You can check out Oasis.

http://www.peoplearemoreimportant.org/

Oasis is a growing network of communities. Maybe there is one close to you. Our community meets weekly for informative talks and musical guests. We meet up during the week for service projects, dinners, bar nights and frequently just gather as friends.

I have met many people who are recovering from abusive religions. It's been a very supportive community for me and my family.

Date: February 22, 2017 02:48AM

Thanks for this it doesn't look like there is one in Idaho but salt lake is a 3 hour drive so maybe a road trip.

Posted by: molightplz ( )
Date: February 24, 2017 12:28AM

We were fortunate to have an Oasis near us. A couple of weeks after we started showing up to meetings and events they announced that five new groups were starting up in Utah. My guess is that it won't be long before you get the community you want in Idaho. We want to take a road trip and visit some of the Utah groups when we go visit family.

Is Cache Valley or North Wasatch a little closer to you than Salt Lake?

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 12:34AM

Date: February 20, 2017 12:42AM

What is Sunday assembly?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 05:46AM

Sunday assembly seems an awfully lot like Unitarian Universalism, except that Unitarians do a lot of community initiatives and environmental efforts. Here locally, they have their hands in water conservation, river cleanliness, feeding the poor, Sierra Club, and the like. I think that Sunday Assembly, which offers community to people who have left the church, might have a plan to do that, but they're pretty young, right?

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 05:48AM

I identify them with ex-Mormons in Logan, but I don't see that they even have anything in Utah. Am I thinking of a different group?

Posted by: Claire Ferguson ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 09:07AM

A few years ago I felt similar and began to miss my association with women in Relief Society, even though I’d left the church quite a few years before. I love my female friends and, although I utterly adore men, being part of a network of fabulous women is important to me.

I had moved to a new area (Derby, in case anyone is interested!) and didn’t know many people; I guess that was why I briefly considered attending local Relief Society activities, just to associate with the women. I quickly dismissed the idea though, as I realised I’d not get the same feeling of belonging and comradery as I no longer thought the same as them.

Anyway, a friend recommended meetup.com, which I hadn’t heard of. Not sure if you have seen it but it lists local groups with common interests. And if there isn’t a group you like the look of, you have the option to start one.

Anyway, I had a look and saw a women’s group that met every month. It was for women who wanted a network and sisterhood; it was fabulous. It was just what I wanted and needed.

Good luck in your search for a community badassadam. In the meantime, the online community is real too. Although I know it’s not the same, people are still there for you.

Edit: Just saw you already mentioned meetup.com but now you have my take on it too :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/22/2017 09:08AM by Claire Ferguson.

Posted by: hausfrau ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 06:56PM

Me too!!!! The library has been my safe haven since my children were babies. It's nice to chit chat with women who live in the area, but no friendships have ever formed. I attend quite a few programs (book club, coloring, crafts, kid activities) every month. At least it gets me out of the house.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.