Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 01:57PM

Once a week, I'm able to read a copy of the Deseret New's LDS Church News. I like to glance through it because I'm able to read between the lines with the assistance of my bs meter. I like to share some of the crazy things with my family. The latest edition contains an article "Are We Reaching,Not Just Teaching?"
Tad B Callister has 3 title groups: "go get the lost", "Never give up", and Search out the cause". Under Go get the lost, he says: "The inspired teacher can invite the less-active to participate in the lesson and, in addition,make phone calls,send emails and texts,and make home visits to those who do not attend." In "Never give up", he says: "some teachers,such as gospel doctrine teachers,may have more lost sheep than is reasonably possible for one man or woman to rescue. Even when the number of less-active members seems overwhelming..". Under "Search out the cause", he says speaking about Job helping others,and Job saying "the cause which I knew not", Callister says:"Job would not be content with one who said, no I don't want to go to church. He would not be content until he knew the root cause. Is it due to absence of friends, a feeling of unworthiness,inadequate clothes,a lack of the spirit, or previous bad experience?" Yep, never give up bothering people, and find out the real reason! Well, Mr. Callister, if you have a couple of hours, I can tell you some good root reasons,and it wasn't because I didn't have an adequate cute dress!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 03:04PM

Notable that he fails to mention the obvious reason for nearly all of us- it just makes no logical sense.

Gatorman
9-4
22-5
3-0

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 03:17PM

The reasons given are all ones that place blame outside of the church itself. They're all social or economic reasons or because of the unworthiness of the person who left. They sincerely believe that everyone who has left the church still has a testimony and desperately wants to be there. God forbid they ever acknowledge that people leave the church because they don't believe it.

At the same time though, they sure don't seem to care about doing anything about these superficial reasons either. When I was a missionary I had an investigator, who probably showed up just wearing a shirt and jeans, be told by the RS president that the next time she came, she'd have to wear a dress. I told this investigator that the principle was she should dress in the best clothes that she owned, and that RS president should mind her own business. If you truly believe that inadequate clothes is a reason people stop coming to church, maybe lighten up and let people dress how they can.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 03:36PM

When I was an investigator I went to church in a clean, neat pair of jeans. Later the missionary elder called me and told me that one of the elderly ladies was outraged, so could I please wear dress pants next time? As a teen I was rebellious against dresses, and the elder understood. He understood about the jeans too, but was powerless to defend me on that one!I was used to older people correcting us teenagers (it was the 70's), so I complied.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 07:02PM

How come false doctrine is never a cause ?

Posted by: focidave ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 09:01PM

Because they can never acknowledge that the church as an organization is anything less than perfect and true. I remember a counselor in my MTC branch telling how he was talking with a friend who had left the church. "Let's just suppose for a minute that the Book of Mormon isn't true," the friend said, but before he could finish his proposition, the counselor interrupted him. "No. It's true. There is no point in finishing that thought."

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.