Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 10:08PM

I have an 18 yo SIL, and she had been living a normal person life, even though she lives in UT in a high-density mo area. She hated seminary, she skipped it all the time, her favorite drink was coffee-based, she went to parties and had boyfriends, wore -gasp- tank tops and such. I was just out there to visit over the holidays. She was completely normal. DH tells me a couple of days ago that she is taking her endowments out today. It isn't like when I took mine out, they usually didn't let women do that unless you were going on a mission or getting married. I guess the rules have changed and if you're 18, you can do it. I was truly shocked that she decided to do this when like 3 months ago, her life was 180° from a temple worthy person, and had little interest in churchy stuff. DH was shocked as well, and told his parents he thought she was making a big mistake. Of course, they disagree and are hoping that she decides to go on a mission.

I'm so disappointed. She is in college, but now I think she will just get her MRS degree and start having kids when she herself is juat a kid. She is taking "preparing for a celestial marriage" course at the institute now this semester. I really didn't think she would become part of the morg. It makes me so sad, I keep tearing up. Thanks for listening. I am here often, but mostly lurk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen nli ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 02:18AM

It's been a bad week for me w/regard to dissuading anyone from choking themselves on koolaid.

Tonight I'm just thinking that when someone is so hell-bent on mormonism, I'm just tell 'em to do some reading, and then I'm gonna get outta the way.

Sorry about your SIL. Hopefully TSCC will be exposed in the media like Scientology, and people will see the light. But even then they might not.

Kathleen--also a wicked twin.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 09:47AM

She is 31. She bailed on her wedding about 18 months ago. She has put off doing the endowment. I think that I told her too much before she went back to the lds church and I do think she is scared. The bishop here (she lived here with me for 3 months--she works in Alaska for Princess during the tourist season, but usually doesn't live with me). So, the bishop here, next door neighbor, talked to her about going to the temple.

For my friends and I in the singles ward, taking out our endowment was an admission you'd given up on getting married. We just didn't do it unless we went on missions. My old roommate waited until she was 38 to go through. She did get married at 42 and is very, very happy.

But I decided to buck up and I gave her money for her temple clothes. I "got to" go through the temple. I lived my life the way I "chose" to live it in my deluded state. I have to give her the right. Even though things have changed, I believe my daughter will try to believe that what she experiences in the temple is special, but it will eat at her. I know it will. It is just so bizarre. I'm glad I went through. I had to KNOW for myself what went on in that building. If I hadn't experienced it myself, I would always wonder what I was missing out on. Now I know. Nothing to see here.

She'll HATE the garments. HATE HATE HATE THEM. It might be the straw that breaks your SIL's back. I was going to be the perfect temple attender. I went back 4 or 5 times in 6 years. I hated it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/19/2017 09:49AM by cl2.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 10:16AM

Current reports from the Temple Name Oracle indicate that she will get the name, "Susanna."

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

Date: February 20, 2017 05:27PM

Would it be inappropriate to start singing that old song "Oh Susanna" that day?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 05:28PM by cl2.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 05:35PM

No, but just practice your most innocent look. Ha! :D

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 08:59PM

I feel the same way about her and the garments. I was also telling DH how even though you go thru and it's so weird (and I thought the prayer circle was culty, and the covenant about giving everything to the church was concerning), you have to pretend it was the best, most spiritual thing ever. Blech. I feel like you, glad I went thru as well for the same reasons. Hope your daughter escapes the grips of tscc as well.

Date: February 20, 2017 05:33PM

I had imagined all kinds of things. I had been warned about the naked washing and anointing. I went through in 1984. So when I walked out, I had huge relief. I hate to be in an environment I am not prepared for.

I do remember thinking "this isn't the church I was raised in," and other thoughts. I almost laughed out loud when I saw my ex in his little baker's cap. Then my veil kept falling off in the circle. I hate being the center of attention. The 5 points of fellowship was horrible. Every time I went to the temple, something happened that made me unnerved. The last time I went through post the 1990 changes and my ex wanted me to see the new movie, etc., they pulled me aside to do sealings and didn't pull my husband aside. It was creepy being sealed to some man I didn't know who was smiling at me. I sat in the foyer for a while waiting for my husband and I never went back.

I also sweat easily, as does my daughter. Those garments were a joy. All her friends hate them, so I'm sure she will, too.

I realized recently that the temple was one of the biggest disappointments of my life. When my daughter announced to me she was going through the temple (late at night while I was working and exhausted), I told her I was so disappointed in the temple, but it was her choice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2017 05:35PM by cl2.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:25AM

The endowment was a huge WTF moment for me. It was creepy and cultish. "THIS is the church I belong to???" If it weren't for all kinds of external pressures, I would probably have walked away from the church then instead of several years later.

So maybe she'll be freaked out, too. Or at least disappointed that she had been sold a pile of baloney about how spiritual and wonderful it is.

Date: February 20, 2017 05:34PM

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 01:34AM

Why couldn't one of you be my parents that are against this craziness, nope I get cult parents weeeee, anyways when I saw the endowment on youtube I was like this shit was happening behind my back this entire time no wonder nobody would tell me anything.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.