Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: scootergirl57 ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 05:51PM

Even as A TBM I never really believed in prayer. So, God will only help someone if you pray or someone prays for them? Don't he love all people the same? And why not help everyone that prays? I guess my critical thinking was kicking in even then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 05:52PM by scootergirl57.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 05:59PM

I pray frequently, but I never pray TO someone or something. I don't pray to "God" or "Jesus Christ" or anyone else. There is no recipient to my prayer.

For me, praying is like breathing. I don't breathe for anyone or anything. I expect nothing from my breathing, other than one breath carrying me to the next.

My prayers used to comprise a lot of words. Now, more often they comprise only one or two words. Sometimes they only comprise a feeling that has no name.

Mindless prayer is the best prayer, IMO.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 06:03PM

Prayer only works if you believe it. I'm pretty sure Sky Boss has nothing to do with it. But somehow we're all connected in a way that positive intentions do stuff.

Notice that everything of any value that Mormonism has came from somewhere else. Their most original thought was to build a business empire out of a con man's hippie cult.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 06:52PM

I used to pray...and say grace...because it's what you did and what was expected. Never ever thought anyone was actually listening.

Posted by: RubySeven ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 07:18PM

My turning point was when I came across a post online that said something along the lines of "If god really cared about everyone, he wouldn't just give his blessings to people who pray to him." So i decided to not pray for a week and see what happened, and surprise! I wasn't struck down by lighting, I didn't get in a car accident, I still had opportunities to serve others, and the food I ate still nourished and strengthened my body. Almost a year later, I'm still getting all the things I would have considered great blessings from god. So, that's that

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 12:03AM

I feel dumb when I pray, I literally feel like an idiot talking to nobody.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 12:30AM

I got to the point where I realized that I didn't believe that I was talking to anyone other than myself. I have better conversations with myself when I don't try to include an imaginary friend.

Posted by: xxxMMMooo ( )
Date: February 19, 2017 12:36AM

Prayers are like funerals; they're for the benefit of the ones engaging in them.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.