Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 06:50AM

Just curious, just knowing those weasels I just know you are still on a record somewhere to find and harass you. But my question is, would resigning actually do anything or would the records stay put unchanged? And one more thing has anybody ever got their tithing back in the history of the church once I found out that barely anything went to the poor I was pretty angry cause now I'm hurting financially and could use that money. Anyways just curious about these things.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 08:03AM

The church will keeps records of you after you resign. I keep my final out letter that I received from the church. If they ever try to exercise ecclesiastical authority over me I will use that letter against them in a court of law.

Date: February 18, 2017 08:14AM

Ok so as long as I keep that final out letter if they try to hunt me down I can take them to court is what you are saying?

Date: February 18, 2017 08:38AM

If they intentionally "hunt you down" and you tell them to leave you alone and they don't quit, that letter can be used to crucify the assholes. They have no authority over you. As long as a person remains a member, the courts will consider that you consent for them to have ecclesiastical authority over you and that you consent to be treated as a member. If you resign and have that letter, it can be used as a legal document that not only are you no longer a member, but that they know it. They will not have any legal ground to stand on.

Date: February 18, 2017 08:41AM

Ok that is very good to know thanks man

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 07:47PM

Date: February 18, 2017 08:42PM

If they ever try to impose any ecclesiastical jurisdiction over me and treat me as one of their members, it will end up in the courts. I am legally not a member of their church and refuse to consent to being treated as a member. My final out letter will be used as a legal document against them.

Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 08:17AM

TSCC will keep your records forever just in case you decide to come crawling back to them.

Date: February 18, 2017 08:28AM

Thats what I thought

Date: February 18, 2017 08:30AM

Ok that's good to know I had a feeling it wouldn't stop the missionaries from knocking on the door

Date: February 21, 2017 04:32PM

Posted by: Humberto ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 08:26AM

Thy need to keep records just like any other corporation, so they don't just destroy all record of you having been a member. The records are still there, but your nonmember status gets added. Consider that every other company you've ever worked for has a record of your employment history. When you started, when you quit, etc. It's like that. What they won't do after you resign is include your name on any local membership lists. Which means that the local ward members won't be bothering you with home teaching, callings, bishop interviews, etc. Resignation won't, however, prevent the missionaries from knocking on your door.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 10:21AM

Date: February 18, 2017 01:57PM

I made a comparison between how the Mormon corporation operates and how other employers operate with respect to record keeping. I didn't say that they were "the same" in any other way. You're intentionally obfuscating my point.

Date: February 18, 2017 02:13PM

Removed means removed. As in purged. Totally. Like you were never, ever a member. Never baptised, never sealed, no genealogy, nothing. Any and all links with LD$, Inc dissolved. You have a right to be completely and totally removed. Not pseudo-removed.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 02:27PM by anybody.

Date: February 18, 2017 02:23PM

You may wish you had that right, but you don't. The frank truth is that you can't force a corporation to do anything they don't want to with their legally possessed data.

Date: February 18, 2017 02:29PM

Date: February 18, 2017 02:52PM

Whos right?

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 07:09PM

I heard I don't know if it is right or not that if you would get re baptized they would give you your same old temple name back because they can still look it up although you had resigned. Does anyone know how it works?

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 11:41AM

Yea, you get everything back upon leaving: your time, tithing, temple work, your consciousness...

No. The only way to get your money back is to put your hands in the plate, er, place them in the bishops pocket. That's where the money is kept, until it's sent to the vaults!

Many morons try to get it back by swindling others, like a mlm or other pond-z scheme. What you give to Caesar stays with Caesar. Think of it/ them as the undertaker. LDSinc is there to take you under.

Posted by: Ex-Cultmember ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 12:53PM

They still keep your "records" in their central database but you are tagged in the system as a former member.

The benefit to resigning is that your name no longer appears in your local membership rolls. So your name no longer appears in the ward directory, priesthood or relief society lists, or hometeaching lists. That way you get harassed a lot less because you are no longer on ward member lists to have to be followed up.

You no longer exist in the ward except in the memory of ward members who knew you or if members have old hard copy membership lists.

It's ironic in the case of my family. The black sheep of my family, my brother, hated church growing up. Smoked pot, skipped church, and dropped out as soon as he could. The rest of the family resigned years later after discovering the truth online.

Guess who still gets calls and visits from the ward? My brother who hasn't stepped foot in the church in 30 years and even moved to a different state. It's because he is the only family member still on the local membership rolls because he hasn't bothered to resign yet.

Date: February 18, 2017 01:31PM

Gotcha, that's all good to know the details that it actually will make some difference.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 06:42PM

The purpose of resigning is to end your membership. It does that.

It does not remove your records from their database, nor force them to lower their statistical report, nor does it make them feel bad.

It does one thing and one thing only. It ends your membership.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 07:15PM

Frankly I don't give a damn about what they do with my records. But is they invade my property I will call the police and have them removed from my property.

Date: February 18, 2017 07:43PM

They use them when they dead dunk former members and in case someone wants to rejoin, they'll have a faster track to regain whatever rites were disrupted during time of resignation.

Posted by: WickedTwin ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 09:25PM

A couple of years after I resigned, I started getting cards and invites from the relief society of "my" ward. They were so strange, they said "we have been thinking about you! Hope you can come (to whatever)" I opened the first one and then mailed it back to the RS president with a note that I resigned my membership, don't contact me anymore. I got two more, but the woman had a very distinctive return address stamp, so I just printed "return to sender" on the front and "I'm not a member, leave me alone" on the back of the unopened letter. I had to send two back that way. I never have had any contact from them since. So… you're on some kind of list, they must have moved me to inactives or something briefly. It was strange because it had been so long after I resigned that it happened. I had not ever attended that ward, yet they were thinking about me. That's kind of creepy now that I type it.

Edit, wrote three instead of two

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 09:28PM by WickedTwin.

Date: February 18, 2017 10:04PM

That is creepy I got called from an unknown number today and it was home teachers and somehow they knew I got surgery yesterday how's that for creepy haven't been to this knew church in 8 months and now I get a call when I'm thinking about making the final effort to resign.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 07:32PM

They have to keep record of you so that you don't sneak back in without groveling to them. You know, all of us who just really want back in because we found out that sinning wasn't so fun and our lives are so pathetic that being in a cult and surrendering our hard-earned money to them would be so much better.

So, you know, if they didn't have intel on us, we'd just pretend to be investigators and get baptized again and buy our way back to the clubhouse because we miss the sexy undies so much and can't remember all the secret passwords. Oh wait. Internet. Forget it. I'll refresh myself there instead.

Date: February 20, 2017 07:38PM

They always think that you will grovel back to them don't they.

Posted by: tnurg ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 05:25PM

After six months, I finally received my notification confirming that my name had been removed from the records of the so-called church! Do I believe they actually trashed my records permanently? Hardly - you can't believe anything the CULT tells you! Remember, they need all the names they can get to keep membership records inflated!

To add insult to injury, I had to after the fact demand a letter from Paul at member records for my wife who had been completely ignored in the process! We had jointly filed our resignations with all pertinent information! After a rather pointed discussion, we received her letter a couple of weeks later! As Always, tnurg (GRUNT)

Date: February 21, 2017 05:31PM

Six months good Lord but that's kinda what I am expecting once I draw first blood and hand in the resignation. I wouldn't believe I was off the records either. There has got to be a way to erase yourself totally though.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.