Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: sunbitch ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 02:26AM

Did anyone else think that growing up mormon was incredibly boring? if so stories please! -thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 02:35AM

It's M/Less obvious just listening-determining what their focus is.

The leaders must think that repetition is their strong point!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2017 02:36AM by GNPE.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 03:22AM

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 03:18AM

Not me. There was always plenty of drama to keep us occupied. Throw in some apocalyptic prepping and persecution stories, and it was never dull. Neuroses were the high point of my Mormon life.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 04:06AM

If you mean long than yes I'm still reliving it in my head it was that long, old apostles never aging never dying some still not dead.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 06:54AM

A lot of my childhood adventures were driven by boredom and neglect.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 09:44AM

I don't know how people can sit through three hours of meetings every.single.Sunday. You would have to pay *me* to do that. And even then, I don't think so.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 11:51AM

Heck no!

We were always sneaking out of sunday school and causing mischief somewhere in the church. We had some great adventures at church to break up the monotony and drudgery! One of my favorites was to sneak into the cultural hall with my friends. We would carefully roll out those folding chair carts/tables that were hidden under the stage. We quietly got them empty (team lifting the heavier tables) and the Grand Prix would begin! We usually had about 10 minutes of cart racing before someone figured out that the ward brats were at it again. We used our neckties as restraints to lock the doors from the inside and those scouting knots were handy too!

Did we get in trouble? You betcha!

Was it worth it? Absolutely!

We also had fun in contests.

-Who could say the fastest prayers in meetings and speed talks in SM

-If you fell asleep on the stand (bishop's messenger as a deacon). Every deacon in the quorum had to buy you a candy bar.

-Mimic the bishop was a fun game to play. While waiting to pass the sacrament we would do everything he would do. From crossing his legs to yawning to giving us a nasty scowl. We repeated his gestures. It really pissed him off.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 01:21PM

We did a lot of family stuff and went on trips together, played and watched TV on Sundays so I never really got bored except when I was in church and thinking about now not being there would have been better.

Posted by: peculiargifts ( )
Date: February 18, 2017 01:56PM

Well, I thought that the Sunday meetings were awful, when I attended with Mormon relatives. However, I also was, for a time, just happy to be with people who were nice to me, and I would have put up with any amount of boredom in order to avoid where I would have been otherwise.

But, if you ask about that major component of Mormonism, the Book of Mormon --- oh my golly gee whillikers, that awful mess was so boring and frustrating for me to read. I could never force myself to keep going with it, and I will read very nearly anything.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 20, 2017 07:46PM

Actually, growing up mormon in a hick town in the late 60s-early 70s, the teen years were more exciting than anything else you could do in town. That's when the church had all kinds of cool activities that didn't have to be spiritual oriented.

But I realize now that I grew up around the most boring people in the world. Life wasn't particularly boring, the people sure were and are even more as I age. And I was probably the most boring of them all. But at least I didn't stay exactly the same as I was in high school.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:12PM

Whoa-whoa-whoa! Hold on there, sister. You call that place founded along a railroad siding in the middle of the Mojave Desert a "hick town?!" That's a lot of nerve.

Posted by: schweizerkind ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:02PM

Put on a suit (which I hated), spend a boring two hours in Priesthood meeting and Sunday school. Get a few hour's reprieve for "Sunday dinner," but keep the suit on. Then at five o'clock go back to Sacrament meeting to listen to a poorly-prepared and repetitive "talk."

Finally, with a great feeling of relief, get home, shuck the suit, make a sandwich, and watch TV before bed.

Then-dread-next-Sunday-all-week-ly yrs,

S

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:13PM

Mormonism is lots of things, but boring is not one of them.

One of the things that made mormonism so attractive was the it opened up opportunities to imagine an afterlife that didn't amount to sitting on clouds worshiping jesus for the rest of eternity. That's boring.

Or burning in hell for eternity. That's boring.

If you're talking about sacrament meeting/sunday school, then yeah that was pretty boring.

But the doctrine can be really exciting if you go for that sort of thing.

Obviously it's dumb, but I don't agree it's boring.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 03:37PM

Yeah, instead they are promised endless celestial sex if they pay their 10% and go to Sacrament and do temple rituals.

If they can do that boring stuff then they get endless sex. Which is not boring.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2017 03:38PM by lazylizard.

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 12:34PM

Mormonism was like being at a dinner party filled with awkward silences where one of the guests claims to be a hypnotist and offers to hypnotize someone, and it turns out the guy is a lousy hypnotist, such that people are checking their phones and watches and stepping outside to call the babysitter.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: February 21, 2017 04:10PM

Worse than boring--

It was depressing!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 22, 2017 12:43AM

I just thought they were a bunch of @$$H0le$.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: March 11, 2017 03:11PM

Hella boring! I ended up falling asleep in Sacrament meeting all the time.

The people were mostly old too, and so stuck in their ways. Hardly anyone spoke to me as well - and they STILL don't.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.