Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:23PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=&daddr=200%20S%20River%2064051
I can just feeeel the power coming through my monitor!!

Church of Christ Temple Lot must have more members and more money than I had thought!
http://www.churchofchrist-tl.org/index.cfm
That church is a run down mess on the temple lot but their website isn't too shabby.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:36PM

It's an interesting trip. I've visited the silver corkscrew temple that the RLDS built, and I've been to see the Temple Lot guys. I walked into the LDS visitors center wearing a shirt that said "Pull My Finger."

Looking at the silver corkscrew temple on Google Maps makes the bottom of my foot feel all sensitive.

Date: May 18, 2011 12:46PM

Yep. I like the inside of the corkscrew temple. I think it has a beautiful interior. The guy inside the temple lot church was kooky.

Date: May 18, 2011 02:20PM

I liked the acoustics. It's a beautiful building in theory. But it's still a big silver corkscrew with a blinking red light on top. :-/

Posted by: Charlie ( )
Date: May 17, 2011 01:46PM

I have stood on the temple site that these obviously devout and sincere people have preserved and at that point I was still a TB (not in the mo but is a smaller group) and felt it was a wonderful spot on out planet.

Looking at their website I can't readily see how many they are, but in the late 80's there were only a handful (less than 30 is the number I remember). They weren't planning to build a temple back then. I think they only saw themselves as the custodian of the site on which the new Jerusalem would be established.

Interestingly I found all of the RCJC and the fundamentalist (back then these were the Kirtland era fundamentalist and not the polygamous type) groups in Independence and KC to be some of the sweetest and non-contentous members of the restoration I have ever known. One of the best sermons I ever heard in a restoration church was delivered by an RCJC President of Seventy at Stone Church.

Posted by: Buzz ( )
Date: May 18, 2011 01:11PM

Would his name be Sheldon? He's elderly, and kind and dignified unless you deliberately upset him.
I visited there at the same time as a busload of rowdy young BYU guys.
They were asking him questions about polygamy, and being pretty rude and disrespectful.
He blew his top, so I tried to help him out by telling the punks that the early members of that church never lived in Nauvoo, and may not have known about JS's polygamy.
Sheldon got even madder at me for trying to help, and threw us all out!
Poor old guy probably has to put up with that daily during vacation season.

Date: May 18, 2011 02:18PM

He was really informative! He was the one who told me about the changes between the Book of Commandments and the later D&C and gave (okay, sold) me a pamphlet detailing these changes. That was one of the half dozen or so reasons I left the Church.

Posted by: Buzz ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 01:11AM

Apostle Smith Brickhouse is a great guy.
He came to my house for supper once and spent a long evening with us. He didn't try to convert us at all.
He helped me get copies of Strangite materials that the Strangite church won't give to non- members.

Date: May 19, 2011 03:24PM

Buzz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would his name be Sheldon?

That is the guy. He misconstrued my interest in church history for interest in his church. He vehemently denied the polygamy and he was only nice until he realized my interest had nothing to do with a belief in any of this stuff - just a past with this stuff.

Posted by: onendagus ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 03:44PM

DW felt the "spirit" talking to that guy and wanted to quit and join their church. Holy Crud. Said she knew polygamy was BS and this guy was right.

I "helped" her stay tbm. Luckily 12 years later we are both out of kolobianism and won't be joining any religion anytime soon escepcially not any of the church's kolobonistic variations.

Posted by: Jarom X ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:55PM

I read a lot of incorrect information here. I think some of the contributors are confusing some smaller groups.

In any case, The Church of Christ, Temple Lot, while small, never
got down to 30 or so members. Most estimates list around 2,000 members. There are a few break-off groups in the area with similar names that are about the same size plus some with the small numbers cited here.

The rumor that the Church of Christ,Temple Lot investigated merging with the Pennsylvania-based Church of Jesus Christ (Bickerton) is true according to one of the latter's apostles.
The Bickerton folk practice Foot Washing and the former group does not accept it. That, PLUS how to take 2 sets of apostles and get a single set was not ever agreed upon and the effort died.

The mistake most of these lesser mormon church discussion sites make is that they examine these Mormon churches through the Utah church's point of view or assumed point of view.

It is better to look at them on there own merit, IMHO.

Their 1990 BOM has more differences from the original publication than any other version extant.

JaromX

Posted by: Puli ( )
Date: May 19, 2011 05:10PM

It would interesting to see what differences exist between their version of the BOM and TSCC's version.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 02:58PM

Posted by: dit ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:32PM

The architect firm I work for designed the RLDS temple. It was actually designed by one of the original owners.

The Houston office is currently doing A LOT of work on the SLC temple square. Exactly what, I'm not sure.

Posted by: Bamboozled ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:52PM

Dear Gawd, they're spending even MORE money on downtown SLC???

Posted by: squeebee ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:41PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 04:44PM

And I find myself humming the words of the famous Elton John song "Rocket Bra"

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:05PM

The most holy place on earth is a road sign on a country road in the southern United States.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:15PM

I get an image of Greenwich, CT. What is that about? (note it is near a particular murder scene).

Posted by: jerry64 ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:42PM

They actually display a Christian cross instead of stars and Freemason symbology...

http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qhfn2973y0wv&lvl=18.49&dir=274.45&sty=b&form=LMLTCC

Posted by: leroy ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:47PM

Gosh, I've always thought the most holy place on the planet was Yosemite Valley when all the waterfalls are flowing. Who knew it was some man made place?

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 31, 2013 05:49PM

Anytime I'm in the Rockies, standing by a mountain lake...I'm THERE!!...no church building needed!

Ron Burr

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.