Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 12:59PM

Case in point: Recently on this board, there was one of them, popping up out of nowhere with no previous board history of posting, telling us to "get over" the CES letter.

Translated: It was the TBM who couldn't get over the CES letter. "Get thee behind me, Facts!"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 01:44PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 01:36PM

That's pretty much the go-to response for all Mormons whenever they are confronted with the lies, issues, dodges, and general misinformation that is consistently disseminated by the church or covered up by the church. They end up bearing their testimony, dodging the issue, and telling people to get over it and that it will be worked out in the eternities or some other such bullshit.

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:12PM

It reminds me of setting the scriptures under the chair during opening exercises of PH. I had the hymnal opened in my hands and some sanctimonious asswipe hit me hard across my back. I looked back to see what his problem was. He pointed at something under my chair and whispered something inaudible.

He later informed me that LDS scriptures were to never touch the floor. I was supposed to have placed them on top of the PH manual. He was so upset about my personal recklessness that he flagged down the visiting high councilor to rebuke me and set me straight. The HC didn't even know what was going on. He just smiled and told me to be nice.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:59PM

The person who did this is an idiot and does not know what the hell he is talking about. In the Islam religion, however the Quran is never supposed to touch the ground. Islam is the only religion that I know about that has protocols for how their religious texts are supposed to be handled.

I have never known anyone to have any kind of issue with how a Bible or Book of Mormon is supposed to be handled. If someone had done something like that to me, I would have been tempted to whoop their ass. At the very least, I would have told them they were a dick and that if they ever hit me again they were going to regret it. Mormons have such poor personal boundaries they need to be confronted in this way, shocked into realizing that it is not appropriate to do those kinds of things, or else they just keep doing them. I have seen it time and time again. It's been done to me. Jerkasses who think it's appropriate to forcefully grab someone or pull them by their shirt collar or whatever it is. I suppose it gives them a real thrill, knowing that they have asserted their power and dominance over 14 and 15 year olds. Wow, those guys are real tough, 30 year old members of the elders Quorum picking on teenagers. No, they don't have any issues at all....

Legally, that kind of Shit is assault.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2017 03:00PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 01:28AM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2017 01:29AM by anybody.

Date: February 14, 2017 03:25PM

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 01:15AM

Here to issue orders, no doubt! Or that other favorite pastime: the ad hominem attack. ;)

Posted by: Exmoron ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:15PM

Asshat Mormon behavior at it's finest for sure. He only told the HC because he was trying to look especially spiritual. Asshats like that are always trying to one-up everyone, whether seeming knowledgeable, crying in testimony, etc. Reminds me of a hanky waving Temple dedication that I was present. The stake watched it via satellite. It was so special and spiritual. Everyone was so solemn and sacred acting. Anyway, I inadvertently dropped my white hanky on the floor of the chapel where I was sitting. Next thing you know I feel the paw of HC'man on my shoulder sitting behind me. I turned, and the entire row was looking at me in disdain. You would have thought I clubbed a baby seal to death. He said oh so solemnly, "your handkerchief is touching the floor, and since this is a sacred occasion, you need to pick it up and handle it as a sacred and holy offering unto the Lord." I looked at him w/ this "WTF look" and left it sitting on the floor. He eventually had someone reach underneath my seat and then handed it to me when it was time to wave it. Total d-bag. Don't miss the Joseph Smith wannabes in the cult.

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:27PM

"Get thee behind me, Facts!" I love that, I might use it.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:31PM

Mormons. Besides the issuing of orders which is right on, they also love to "discount" evidence and fact:

"Oh yeah. I know all about that. Doesn't bother me."

"It's just another attack. Those people are always attacking. Who cares?"

"So he raised a bunch of questions. Big deal. I'm not impressed."

Well. I for one am very impressed that someone took the time to do what Jeremy did in a way that has made a difference and impacted so many. He did something. And it wasn't just another meme on some oblivious site. It was bold and well thought out and he put his "money where his mouth was" so to speak.

What I do not find impressive is the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" of the CES letter. So easy to do. Seems lazy in comparison to what Jeremy did. Mormon discounting?

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:51PM

Dear Brother Benson, I suppose it could be wonderful for some to suppose that we have all day to think about the facts in-depth regarding the silly issues that the apostates raise. However we have a lot of duties to perform that don't leave spare time for such things. And besides anytime we might get some evil thought in our head such as "maybe there might be some substance to that apostate's idea" then we know we have just committed a very grave sin of thinking about a doubtful thought and that we are going to have to be held accountable. That's because our loving Heavenly Father has wisely put in place a very loving sophisticated heavenly surveillance system that watches our thoughts/actions on a 24/7 basis to ensure that any thought/action we have is totally in-line with the thinking of the Brethren. If ever we get a bit distracted then we know that we will be judged at Judgment Day if we don't quickly repent. Thus we can say to ourselves "Get thee hence Satan" and put the apostate's idea out of our mind almost immediately and then remember to never let ourselves waste another second thinking about it at all.

And one of the best ways to help us not have time to think about it at all ever again is that we are kept super busy in the wondrous Gospel doing all sorts of sacred duties. Why waste a second on an apostate's sinister idea when we can be scrubbing the Lord's toilets at the chapel as they could always use some more scrubbing.

And why do you call facts these "ideas of apostates". Ooops I just caught a doubtful thought so I say "get thee hence Satan" as anytime an apostate says "facts" then I shall immediately think "silly idea" and thus carefully compartmentalize that temptation of the devil. Another thing we can do to not waste time on the ideas of apostates is to do more to spread the good news on how Mormons are the most open-minded people ever and that the church is the most honest, truthful, and transparent church ever.

I just thought of an idea. Why don't I invite all my neighbors over to the chapel to watch me scrub toilets (with the tribe of many children just quietly watching without a murmur) as I bear my testimony to them that the church is so awesome and wonderful for families and that we are the most honest church whose members don't waste time on silly apostate ideas because our Brethren claim they have the whole truth? Oh the pangs of guilt that come upon me as I realize that I haven't done enough to get all the neighbors assimilated yet. On my day of rest each Sunday as I'm getting ready at 4am to rush off to my first meeting and on my way home at 11pm from my last meeting the thought does cross my mind as I feel pangs of guilt in how they aren't sharing these blessings of feeling rested that the glorious gospel brings.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:55PM

"Honest (ahem!) TBM," Paul lists a number of "gifts" in Galations 5 (love, charity, hospitality, administration, prophesy, etc.) As much as I admire Paul, I think he overlooked the "Gift of Parody," with which you have been abundantly endowed.

Carry on!

Posted by: Honest TBM ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 02:59PM

True confession - I wrote "blessings of feeling rested that the glorious gospel brings" but should've put a disclaimer in there.

"blessings of feeling rested that the glorious gospel brings if we are completely worthy"

There is no way on earth I could possibly claim to be "feeling rested" in the glorious gospel. Oh my golly I'm just exhausted and worn-out. What could possibly be the real reason for this?

Oh yeah, its probably because I haven't completely finished my genealogy work yet. It's all my fault. Thank goodness I didn't blame the church, Brethren, or anything but my own inadequacy because if I blamed anything like that then it would be a grave sin of doubt. I got to doubt my doubts :)

Date: February 14, 2017 05:49PM

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 03:16PM

"Don't confuse me with 20 reasons the church isn't true...just give me good one!

Oh, *that* one reason!? It was dealt with years ago!"

Posted by: R2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 05:03PM

"Get over it" yet again. How does that even apply?? Will someone please link me?

Date: February 14, 2017 05:50PM

R.I.P. (snicker)

Date: February 14, 2017 06:00PM

Oh, I saw that but I don't see anything about him telling us to get over it.

Posted by: [|] ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 06:39PM

That's because the TBM that told us to get over it was deleted.

Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 07:07PM

I "got over" the facts contained in the CES Letter, How? I left the church!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 10:35PM

Was it the guy that wasn't impressed with the letter? And thanks for saying the full True-Believing Mormon apreciate that.

Date: February 16, 2017 06:07PM

It's a lot to type when it's used repeatedly as it is here. It's just like on parenting forums where they say DH for Dear Husband, or SIL for sister-in-law. Every forum has its own shorthand.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 12:59AM

my personal fav is the way they disown previous "authoritative" statements like the JoD, which was compiled, edited, & published by tscc;

Now they say it's unreliable!

Posted by: pitching fits ( )
Date: February 17, 2017 08:44AM

The most obvious omission (for me) in the complaints of the original (deleted) whiner was emotion.

Exmos are a passionate lot. Once the betrayals become evident, broken hearts (and families, communities) are likely to follow. Many hang out on this board because some of those injuries are on-going losses, even though the exits may have happened decades ago.

The whiner completely ignored Jeremy's losses, his sense of righteous outrage at having been so deeply betrayed by TSCC. If I recall correctly (IIRC), Jeremy did not start with that letter, but tried to get answers in "less hostile" ways, his anger growing as he realized that no answers were to he had.

Between Jeremy and "Not Impressed," Jeremy displayed much healthier human emotions. The flat emotional affect of the whiner was creepy.

I'd like to think that the whiner was forced to post here, because in his or her authoritarian world, he or she is not allowed to type "CES letter," not even in being critical of it, on any LDS, faith-promoting board or blog. Any such rule speaks to the power of the letter, and complaining here would be an act of desperation.

The whiner told on him (her) self.

http://www.minddisorders.com/A-Br/Affect.html

Date: February 18, 2017 10:17PM

I don't mean to sound like a broken record, but this goes hand-in-hand with the "get over it" viewpoint that his guys and many other TBMs espouse. It's easy to get over something if your emotions aren't deep to begin with.

Date: February 18, 2017 10:18PM

This guy's, not his guys!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.