Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: brianberkeley ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 10:59PM

What are the most beautiful half dozen temples or churches in terms of beauty and personal meaning. This can be any religion, anywhere.

My personal list of the top six temples or churches in terms of impact, grandeur, and personal meaning;

1. Jama Masjid Mosque, Old Delhi, India
Jama Jasjid is probably the most outstanding example of 16th century Mughal architecture. The three domes and the minarets are stunning. the sound of the meuzzin calling the faithful to prayer is transformative

2. The Golden Temple, Amritsar, Punjab, India.
the Golden Temple is literally golden with an artificial pond next to the Gurdwara. This is the most sacred gurdwara in the Sikh religion. Sikhism, founded by Guru Nanek in the 15th century is monotheistic. The Temple itself glows in the sun at certain times of the day. It is not gaudy, as one would think.

3. The Oakland Temple, Oakland, California. This temple belonging to the Mormon religion is actually just average but the view of the San Francisco Bay Area is what makes this location special. Tourists come here to look at the view.

4. The Church of Santo Nino, Cebu City, Cebu, Philippines.
The church is a 15th century Catholic church complex started at the times of the Spanish conquest of Cebu by Magellin. I sit here frequently for hours, and do my Vipassana meditation. This is one of the finest examples of Spanish Colonial architecture. Women traverse the church on their knees, as a sign of religious devotion, or what Indians would call puja.

5. The 8th century Shaivite temple at Elephanta on an island off the coast of Maharashtra, India. There is a likeness of the tri-murga of Brahma, Vishnu, and Shiva that is present in all books on Indian Art. Shiva is the Creator/Destroyer in the Hindu pantheon.

6. The Hindu temple of Pashupatinath, Kathmandu, Nepal. The ancient edifice is on the side of the Bagmati River. There are burning ghats on the river where cremations are done. The Bagmati is sacred, like the Ganga Ma, Ganges. According to Hindu belief, if one is cremated on the side of a sacred river it is possible to escape the unending cycle of death and rebirth, samsara.

What are your 6 choices of most beautiful temples or churches. This is not about religion, but architecture, grandeur, and historicity.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:06PM

Washington National Cathedral tops my list! It's far enough away to be a destination for me, and many great people have spoken in its pulpit.

Date: February 13, 2017 11:13PM

Hi BYU Boner!

I'm ashamed to say I have never seen the Washington National Cathedral.

You may have noticed that I did not include Salt Lake Temple, or any other Mormon temples other than Oakland. They are simply second rate, in my opinion, compared to the grandeur of say, Jama Masjid.

Brian

Date: February 13, 2017 11:26PM

Brian, the only Morg building that would make my list is the Manti Temple.

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1931800,1933830#msg-1933830

I've never seen Oakland, but the view of the Bay must be amazing!
I'd love to see the Asian ones your described.

On the Catholic side, St. Louis in New Orleans is magnificent. My favorite thing about Catholic cathedrals is the red cardinals' hats hanging from the ceiling--hey, look what we've got, wankers!

Love you, Bro, da Bone!

Date: February 13, 2017 11:32PM

BYU Boner,

I frequently go to Mass with my Filipina wife. I am not Catholic, or even Christian, but I enjoy the services, and the excellent music.

Nobody bothers you, and you can think your own thoughts. Iglesia de Santo Nino in Cebu City, Cebu is still my favorite Catholic facility.

Date: February 13, 2017 11:39PM

Dude, you're really fuckin' amazing! I, too, sometimes go to Mass with friends. I'm always treated warmly, and I cross my arms with the priest so he doesn't serve me communion.

In my hometown of LA, the fairly new Our Lady of the Angeles is butt-ugly on the exterior, but surprisingly light and airy inside. I also loved the tapestries and Bach being played on the organ.

Someday, it would be really great to meet you and shoot the shit! I admire your posts and the deep thinking you bring.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:33PM

I must say the that Washington National Cathedral popped into my head as well; they took all the best parts of every Gothic church ever built and did it up right--in the USA!

Plus, there are Darth Vader, "army mule', and "crooked politician" gargoyles, among many others:
http://www.dcmemorials.com/Groups_NationalCathedralGargoyles_All.htm

Date: February 13, 2017 11:41PM

I love the gargoyles and the Stained Glass Moon Rock. Also, when they crank the organ up, I too, salute them, The Boner!

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:47PM

I detest the Christian Science "Mother Church" in Boston, but oh, what an exquisite organ! Symphony Hall across the street, likewise.

Date: February 13, 2017 11:51PM

Yeah, Symphony Hall with its statuary throughout the auditorium! It's one of the three most acoustically perfect concert halls in the world--Amsterdam and Vienna having the others. Now, if I could just get Nelsons to perform Bruckner's 5th! Or better yet, the Te Deum!!!

https://youtu.be/KeYuPPP1-Qw

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 11:53PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 09:48AM

A great concert hall can be considered a temple. Thus, with trepidation, I think I'll include the SL Tabernacle on the list. Like the Christian Science "Mother Church" and its organ, we can acknowledge that even TSCC does some things right.

Back to Boston's Symphony Hall, the organ from the BSO's first concert hall was reinstalled in a building in Methuen, Mass. Wonderful instrument, horrible acoustics, alas.

I did hear Seiji Ozawa conduct the Mahler 8th ("Symphony of a Thousand") in Symphony Hall, years ago. Chorus #1 was in the rear of the stage, Chorus #2 was split on the first balcony forward wings, and the Boston Boys Choir was on risers along the left wall of the stage. Eight soloists (Eight soloists, folks, count 'em, eight!) were split on each side of the podium. The score calls for a separated brass "choir" which was put in the second balcony, rear of the hall.

They removed about 8 rows of seats and extended the stage forward. The work concludes fortissimo. I had perfect seats, about 11 rows back, house center, but with all that volume, impressive at it was, it was hard to discern the multitude of elements and voices.

https://wsdg.com/wp-content/uploads/BSO-Final-2.jpg

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 09:55AM

brianberkeley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4. The Church of Santo Nino, Cebu City, Cebu,
> Philippines.
> The church is a 15th century Catholic church
> complex started at the times of the Spanish
> conquest of Cebu by Magellin. I sit here
> frequently for hours, and do my Vipassana
> meditation. This is one of the finest examples of
> Spanish Colonial architecture. Women traverse the
> church on their knees, as a sign of religious
> devotion, or what Indians would call puja.

I've been to this one, bb. Maybe I saw you and didn't know it? :)

There are indeed some beautiful "temples." I have to admit, though, that often when I see one, I can't help but think of all the money and resources spent on erecting an expensive and elaborate facade to superstition -- instead of using those resources to help actual people in actual need.

Not that I'm a pessimist or anything...:)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.