Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Pied Piper ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:21AM

I like craft beers and other alcohol in moderation so that make me go to outer darkness?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 04:51AM

Why YES! Yes it does. Welcome!

Posted by: ookami ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:20AM

On the bright side, you'll have company (I also love good craft beers).

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:32AM

Hell shall not prevail over a cold one.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:35AM

Joseph Smith drank beer. He might be in outer darkness for different reasons.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:41AM

If you are, at least we'll go there knowing how great a good craft beer is -- while the asshats in the celestial kingdom will always wonder what they missed. :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 10:37AM

The Bible condemns alcohol excess, not alcohol use. "Babylon" is right: If you go to Hell, it is for another reason. There is no moral reason not, only personal ones.* Ookami, a theological point, if I may: The idea that people in Hell will be fellowshiping (or partying!) with their buddies is distracting silliness. Leaving aside the Biblical imagery** of sulfur and fire, the concept of Hell depicts complete, absolute, interminable alone-ness and isolation. I think of it as the trans-dimensional equivalent of being sucked into a black hole.

I don't think Sam Adams distributes there, not even for the Profit.

Another reason to enjoy craft beers: They're probably American made. Why drink foreign-owned pi** like "Spudweiser Light" when you can support your local brewmeister, and his employees?

* I don't, because I fought the Battle of the Bottle, and the bottle won.

**For the record, I believe in Hell, but regard the Biblical descriptions as conceptual imagery, not literal fire and brimstone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 10:41AM by caffiend.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:32PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The Bible condemns alcohol excess, not alcohol
> use.

I assume from this that some users of alcohol can be living in disobedience to Bible teachings while others are not. How can it be determined what is "excess" in this case? I assume that the Bible does not give a specific percentage of alcohol in the blood as a definition of excess. So how can a Christian who believes in what caffiend has written decide at exactly what point he is buzzed but Biblically obedient, or on the other hand, is intoxicated and living in rebellion against God's Word?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:44PM

To an alcoholic, one drink would be in excess of what the body tolerates.

The legal limits as defined by law are a tool to see how drunk someone is when picked up under DWI.

Drunkenness is mentioned in the bible more than once as unhealthy & unbecoming of "kings & princes," etc.

Guess for the commoner, maybe not so much?

It's also mentioned biblically to "eat, drink, and be merry," for tomorrow we die.

Somewhere in between is where the happy medium is found. But for the alcoholic, where again, one drink is too many.

Date: February 13, 2017 10:50PM

"Eat, drink, and be merry is a conflation of two verses. "Eat, drink, and be merry" comes from Ecclesiastes; "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we shall die" is from Isaiah.(Check link below.)

CommonGentile (great moniker!), rather than getting into a pissing contest (pun intended), the link below has 23 verses from the Bible on alcohol. What would be excessive would be individual (tip of the hat to AmyJo). There is also the principle that "the body is the temple of the Holy Spirit" (I Cor. 6.19), so proper care of one's health is part of maintaining one's spiritual health.

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/bible-verses-about-drinking-alcohol/

Date: February 13, 2017 11:16AM

You won't go to hell for drinking craft beers.

You might get to heaven sooner though! As in DON'T DRINK & DRIVE.

;-)

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:20AM

No, actually going to the Celesial Kingdom would be more like going the hell anyways. So enjoy your craft beers and other sinful ways and know that you will be in great company when you die.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 11:20AM by kativicky.

Posted by: 3X ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:30AM

My town has a brand new craft brewery & pub. About 1/3 mile from where I write these lines. Outer Darkness is but a short walk away.

Through happenstance, I was their first paying customer.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:53AM

Maybe it's dark out after you leave the pub

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:20PM

You are put on this earth to enjoy. So is (quality) beer. It comes from nature. So do you. Don't listen to the morons. They don't know where they are going (and have no idea how they will get there).

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:22PM

Only if you deny the Holy Ghost

Posted by: GregS ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:57PM

Sounds like you're already in heaven.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:14PM

Only if you drink craft beer infused with blue berries, cherries, pineapple or other similar ingredients.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 06:04PM

Now Eric...I like some of them too....variety is the spice of life after all..

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 08:04AM

Ron and I are on the same page. Bring on ALL the different craft beers, fruit infused ones as well.

I have cherry chocolate Imperial Stout waiting at home for the right time to crack it open.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 07:42AM

Right on. It's "outer darkness" for anyone infusing or patronizing beers with pumpkin spice.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:58PM

Yes! You are in heaven. You are on this earth to enjoy. Each moment, each opportunity. That is the meaning and purpose of life.

The "Temperance Movement'... Look at (the 3 disc set) "Prohibition". You'll learn a lot about what it did to America, and Americans. It was the "HOT DRINKS" like whiskey that scared a lot of folks. Most had no problem with a little intoxication like beer (mild barley drinks), cider (fermented fruit), and wine.

Heaven is life lived in the moment. Not awaited until death (to 'live').

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:12PM

In Hell they only serve warm Bud Light.

Date: February 13, 2017 05:18PM

It would be worse to be in Hell, and want a beer so badly, but not be able to partake of one.

I won't miss beer after I'm gone from here, since I don't imbibe now.

However, I would miss chocolate badly! There'd better be chocolate in heaven or I won't want to go!

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:21PM

Ditto on the chocolate!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:37PM

You bet...on the express elevator!!

Date: February 13, 2017 11:44PM

One good thing about craft brews is that they are usually American owned and operated, and thus employ American workers and pay American dollars to American owners and shareholders. Not so with Spud Blight and other foreign-owned megabrewers.

A bit of due dilligance is called for. Asshuaseur-Butch owns lots of old-tyme "legacy" brandnames, and reformulates them. People buy them, for nostalgia and thinking the brews of their youth are back. Also, Asshause-Bitch's owners, the Belgian-Brasilian conglomerate In-Bev, is now developing their own "local" "craft" beers.

Posted by: Darren Steers ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 08:14AM

The In-Bev monster just bought a very good craft brewery here in Houston. After an initial internet uproar over the 'betrayal' of the owners, life is back to normal. We all just drink beer from the dozen other local craft breweries, and don't buy the stuff from the sell-out.

Date: February 14, 2017 03:08PM

That is precisely what I mean by "due diligence."

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 05:59PM

A couple of years ago Ylvis (Vegard and Bård Ylvisåker) the Norwegian comedy team had a skit with selling awful craft beers to heavily bearded hipsters for enormous prices (~60 dollars a liter). The beers were made from things like arm pit juice and rotten hay. I tried to find this on youtube but couldn't.

I guess I'm a little tired of hipsters and craft beer, my town is a bit of a destination on the coast and we now have a place selling craft beer on every corner.

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:37PM

No - it's only hell if you open and drink tinned beers :-)

Date: February 13, 2017 11:53PM

quatermass2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No - it's only hell if you open and drink tinned beers :-)

I've never bar tinned but grew up drinking at least ten beers. Didn't have much of choice. Now I just drink better beer, and less beer. I may go to hell but will enjoy the heaven of beer on earth until I don't.

Posted by: ipseego2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 04:44AM

According to normal churches: No.

Note: The Church of JC of LDS is not a normal church.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 08:46AM

So called "craft beers" make me vomit.
Just give me a good old cheap wife beater beer.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 08:50AM

That is true, craft beer is for women.

A MANS beer should not be fruity, smell like perfume, and have sparkles.

I want a regular beer like PBR... a real MANS beer.

Date: February 14, 2017 11:31AM

Many people haven't been introduced to good quality - and VARIETY - craft beers. Some are complex. Some are simple. I enjoy a beer with about 5-10% abv., with taste, like me.

Growing up drinking cheap, aweful/ tasteless, watered down beer, and then discovering my penchant for body, and spirit, I now prefer drinking quality over quantity (instead of 20 beers, I prefer to drink a few... and arrive at the same, or some other, "higher" point). Instead of drinking to get drunk, I like the experience occasionally of "catching a buzz". That's what I hunt for in a can or bottle or glass. The experience. And with friends and strangers, the camaraderie.

That's how long it took from America's prohibition to today to refine, and perfect, and bring back the art of making fine (even expensive) beers. At over a dollar an ounce sometimes, it's something to be enjoyed. But then again, instead of 100+ ounce evenings, it's 12-48 on occasion. I also enjoy the natural high I am (sometimes accused of being) on.

M@t

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 12:54PM

If so we'll get together and shoot a game of 9 ball

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.