Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExtremeVetter ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:27AM

Hi
How do they do that?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Strength in the Loins ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 02:48AM

Inconsistently.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 04:47PM

EXACTLY !!!

let me cite the example of a close associate of mine. Screwed every willing female with in a 13 county radius in high school as well as heavy duty action with his steady girl friend.

He wanted his mom to help pay for college. so he went on a mission as part of the deal. His Mom knew he had screwed his high school girl friend like crazy. I mean literally like thousands of times. so he had to fess up on that deal with the local priestDUD authorities. and while he was in the process of confessing, he was still screwing girls. I know !!! I was there.

That guy went on his mission. quickly climbed through the leadership ranks all the way to AP. WHY? HOW? because MORmONISM LOVES LIES and LIARS !!! That ASS Hole was actually given a full ride scholar ship to BYU for being an AP. Was that an accident ? NO ! WHY? HOW? because MORmONISM still loves the Joseph Smith types who can tell what ever LIE is needed in any given moment to keep things moving along. and this is the other side of it, a guy like me or anyone else who actually believes in consistency in enforcing and abiding by rules does not stand a chance in the utterly crooked and corrupt MORmON religion !!!! BIG LESSON: MORmONISM is all about exceptions and special privilege over principle!!! No matter how much that the MORmON ASS Holes prattle on and on about principle !!!

I finally quit the MORmON religion almost 2 decades later, Yah even a dumb ass like me EVENTUALLY catches on !!!!! it occurred to me that person was the most like Joseph SMith of any person that I was acquainted with. 30 years later his still broken hearted NON member girl friend from High school contacted me as she had heard that I had quit MORmONISM and wanted to know why their relationship had blown out way back when. I noted that it was a strange thing to be asking me, but I also knew the truth that she was seeking. She had been well used by a completely self infatuated self entitled MORmON narcissist and then discarded when she was no longer needed.
It was just that simple. That associate has had MORmON leadership callings and considers himself to be a big shot in the MORmON religion.

For all his MORmON suck-cess, HE owes a HUGE debt of gratitude to the mother of his high school sweetheart who did one HELL of a job of managing the birth control regimen of her daughter and his girl friend.

Posted by: anonforthisonetwo ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:19PM

let's apply some basic math.

Since thousands is pural assume thousands means 2 thousand. Assume high school is 4 years - 365 days a year. So 2000/(365*4)=1.3 times each day for 4 years.....

Possible......

Date: February 13, 2017 10:10PM

2 or 3 or 4 times a day was quite typical, Only once a day was unusual.

Date: February 13, 2017 10:16PM

look at the positive side ......from a MORmON perspective. that guy had very little problem with self stimulation / masturbation. and in (further) harmony with Joseph SMith style themes, she informed me (unsolicited) that he took her virginity when she was only 13.

Posted by: michaelm (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:27AM

Direct revelation from God. Not!

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:33AM

An interview much like the one for a temple recommend.
They used to also have you take a "language aptitude test." Not sure if they still do that...?
When I took the test years ago (1978), it amused me...why do church authorities who are supposedly receiving "inspiration" about where to send me on my mission need a secular test to see how well I learn languages?

I supposedly did well on that test. Then they sent me to the country of my ancestors (France), probably because of my French last name and the fact that I'd taken 4 years of French in high school. Language wasn't an issue during my mission, but I had wanted to go to Japan or somewhere else in Asia, and was a bit disappointed.

I showed 'em, though. For business and personal enjoyment, I taught myself Japanese, Tagalog, and enough Mandarin to be dangerous. Ha! :)

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:07PM

I was sent to South America. I already spoke fluent Spanish. No idiomatic learning curve.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 09:58AM

One of the missionaries in my mission told a few of us other missionaries that he had intercourse with his girlfriend both before and after he went through the temple, shortly before he went on his mission. We all four lived togetger and I got a blow by blow account of everything that happened as the resolution of that matter happened. He had lied to his bishop and stake president. Then he confessed this to the mission president. He thought he would probably be sent home and excommunicated. He used to joke with us about his possible future that when they excommunjcate you, they put their hands on your head and say "holy ghost, leave this person" (they don't really do that).

The mission president made him write a confession and apology letter to his stake president. Then the mission president and stake president talked, and decided to let him stay on his mission. They told him that his repentance could be helped by his missionary service. He doubtlessly would have not been allowed to go if he had fessed up before leaving home. As it was, the church leaders didn't want the embarrasment of admitting that they had been deceived. They told him that if he broke any mission rules, even a small rule, that he would be sent home. A week later, he barrowed a member's car (a sports car), and made sure a lot of other missionaries saw him driving it around. He never got sent home.

That whole thing about inspired priesthood leaders getting personal revelation from god is a lie. If you lie, they won't be able to tell that you lied. But it's better to be honest, resign your church membership, don't go on a mission.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 10:07AM by azsteve.

Posted by: no2joe ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:26PM

I was held back for 6 months for feeling my girlfriends boobs.

My Gf made me tell him, she was turbo tbm ... Bishop made me

begin right there kneeling in a repentance prayer out loud

there in his office.

awkward to say the least .

fuggin wierd

Date: February 13, 2017 04:56PM

no2joe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I was held back for 6 months for feeling my
> girlfriends boobs.
>
>
> My Gf made me tell him, she was turbo tbm ...
> Bishop made me

and it was ALL YOUR fault that you ended up wrangling her TBM boobs around. the poor poor little MORmON darling could only be compensated by seeing to it that you were duly disciplined by the MORmON priestDUD for your violation.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:36PM

Drink
Masturbate
Tell The Truth

Whatever it takes!

They say "I hope they call me on a, mission", but what they really mean is "I 'put in my papers'"/ application and await my assignment.

Vetting is essentially to see if you will follow orders, which is essentially what a (lds) mission is.

Posted by: nonsequiter ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:08PM

That was my process. Maybe like 3-4 interviews with my bishop and one with my stake president and then quite a bit of paperwork

The paperwork asks all the standard questions you would expect, personal information, etc...

I remember one question asked what my grades in school primarily had been and if I felt comfortable speaking a foreign language.

Missions are really awful tedious things. Pretty much everyone on one simply waits out their time and just tries too get by without too much trouble... but then theres the type that thrives while on a mission. And those are the people to watch out for. But the vetting process doesnt do too much by way of distinguishing.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:31PM

I'm not sure what you mean by "vetting"... When I think of vetting, I think of background checks, interviews, discussions to make sure that you're qualified for the "job".

There is little to none of that involved with going on a mission.

The process, unless it has vastly changed in the last decade or so, is simple:

- Be a worthy member of the LDS church, preferably male, but that's not required. Worthiness includes:
* not having confessed any sins to the Bishop. (Note, you can pretty much sin all you want, just do so privately and don't confess.
* Give 10% of your income to the church for an extended period of time. Be willing and able to prove that you have done so. The period of time depends on the Bishop and the nature of your income, generally you will have had to be a full tithe member anywhere from 3 months to a year.

- Declare your intention to go on a mission to the Bishop/Branch President.

- Sit in an interview with said Bishop/Branch President, answer the questions like they want to hear, lying is allowed as long as they don't "know" you're lying.

- State that you and/or your family are prepared to give up $400 a month for 2 years (that amount may have changed since I was a member).

**Note, if you do confess a sin, it will be up to the leadership to determine if you can go on a mission or if it will be delayed. Generally, the Bishop will make the First decision, who will then tell the Stake President what your sin was and what your "loving correction as part of the repentance process" was, he may decide to add more or veto your mission if he so chooses, this may get passed up to the next level and so on. It depends on the nature of your sin and what the leadership thinks of it.

Eventually, the Bishop will send off your application, it might ask about any languages you know, but that will generally be ignored (I spent time in high school learning Spanish and Japanese, they sent me to Korea) In a few weeks they will send you back a letter stating where they are going to send you, what supplies you need to buy (the list will be incorrect), and when to show up at the MTC.

There is no "vetting" to make sure that you are competent or knowledgeable about anything before sending you out into the world with be partnered with other people your age and gender, but potentially have no more skills than you.

Most of my companions were wonderful people, I had one socio-path who decided that he was going "break me down to later build me up again", he was native to the country, refused to help me learn the language and was also assigned to be Branch President over the little branch in the area, he had frequent one-on-one interviews with the women in the branch while I sat in another room, alone, trying to figure out what to do with my self. I had two other companions who had obvious mental illnesses and had no business being sent to a foreign country, let alone being on their own without more prepared supervision. I had another companion who was obviously not mature enough to be on his own, walked around in special sneakers that were supposed to build calf strength and listed to Michael Jackson music all day. I have a feeling with the lowered age group that this type of missionary is far more common now.

When my mission was over, it was customary to have a final interview with the mission president. Many of these interviews lasted a long time, depending on what the Mission Pres though of you. Mine lasted a couple of minutes, his opening line was "Your sacrifice was worth it!" said in inspired tones. After the prior 2 years, I thought it was inspired, I really felt like I had sacrificed, I immediately broke down in tears. He was shocked and basically couldn't think of any other inspired words, he thinking that the spirit touched me so much, me actually relieved that it was finally really over.

Anyway, I digress... They'll send anyone who's shown that they'll pay their tithing and will agree to pay whatever the monthly rate is today.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 03:35PM by Finally Free!.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 07:09PM

Oddly enough. There are no interviews or questions about your knowledge of the gospel or church history.

I met a missionary that learned about the angel Moroni from memorizing the discussions.

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 12:45AM

Where you go is essentially arbitrary unless you're from a prominent or wealthy (tithe-paying in six figures or at least high five figures) LDS family, in which case you will probably be sent to a cushy mission, or if you're an attractive female, there's a good chance you'll be sent to temple square.

As far as how thoroughly you'll be questioned, it depends on your local area and how highly esteemed in the church your parents or extended family is. As long as you don't have a girlfriend or boyfriend confessing about what you did with him or her (or one that confesses once you're in the mission field), you don't have to tell.

Sometimes really smart people or people who are considered to have high language aptitude are sent to places (eastern Europe, some parts of Asia, etc.) where languages are difficult to learn or at least have little in common with the English language.. Then again sometimes really dumb people are sent to those places as well, or people who are well within the average range. (I think they assume basically anyone can learn to speak Spanish. They assume incorrectly, but that's neither here nor there.) Sometimes it's just the luck of what pile your application ends up on, or maybe the computer even decides it for them now as opposed to it being an actual process with the physical application as it has been in the past.

And we all know just how inspired the process is because we've seen the Youtube video of the girl being sent to the same mission as her boyfriend or have heard of people being sent to areas where their parents have already made plans to relocate or of twins being sent to the same mission. (Sometimes the SLC suits catch it, but sometimes they don't.The process seems to be somewhat alphabetical.)

In any event, the vetting process is generally less than that which was done when Sarah Palin was chosen as John McCain's running mate. The team that was sent to Alaska to vet governor Palin supposedly heard on the news that she was the Republican nominee for VP before the vetters even started vetting. That's how seriously the vetting process for missions is taken, except it's even more lax.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.