Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:02PM

Normally Sunday is a good day to buy groceries in the Morridor, but today I had bad timing; one of the local wards must have just let out.
There, decked out in church clothes, was a harried Mormon dad with his kids; one of the boys whined about getting a treat, and the dad, in that sickly-sweet, octave-too-high, Mormon-man voice we all know, sharply reminded his son, "Remember what day it is!" A couple minutes later, he was yelling at his kids as I headed for the checkout.

Oh, the irony.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 05:10PM

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 07:09PM

Those garments are designed to be like choke collars: they always grab a little tighter during evil Sunday shopping, which is where the high voice comes from.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 07:22PM

A few months ago I ran into the wife of prior bishop who later became stake pres. then mission pres.. in the grocery store. She smiled and said hello and asked how things are going. I have always admired her as one of the most non-judgmental and kind persons I know.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 07:59PM

I saw a couple at Safeway this afternoon (only people wearing suits and long dresses)....and looking guilty as hell and hoping no one would recognize and report their sinnin' asses to their bish.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 08:32PM

Oooh, this was my very favorite activity EVER! I always did my shopping on Sunday when I quit going to church in the very mormon area where I lived. I sometimes saw folks from the ward and I would purposely seek them out! I would see then duck down other aisles and what not. I would find them and cheerfully say "hi!" I got some of the most lame excuses as to why they were shopping on
(gasp!) Sunday. I never made a deal about that but just acted glad to see them. It always made my day.

Posted by: thegame2017 ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 08:06AM

Always hilarious when you see someone on a Sunday in a store. I remember well, a guy who is all about appereance and performance gave a talk about honouring his temple covenants and obeying the laws set out for him, he'd be blessed for it blah bah. People saying after what a great talk, slapping him on back, congratulating him, usual stuff. After church that day I decided to nip to Asda (what you would call Walmart) to pick up a few things and enjoy what was left of my Sunday. This guy was in buying random things, when we saw each other he muttered something about it bring for his daughter and walked off. Never liked that guy - always made a drama out of anything he can find.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 11:11AM

When I was a young "priest," I had a bishop hand me $5, and priesthoodly command me to go to the local grocery store to get bread -- because the person who was supposed to bring sacrament bread had forgotten.

That same bishop told me in my "worthiness interview" later that year that he had been told that I sometimes worked (at Jack in the Box, my job of the time) on Sundays, and that I must stop doing so immediately, because "violating the sabbath was a grave sin."

Even my 16 year-old mind recognized the hypocrisy.

Posted by: overit ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 01:04AM

all the brealking the sabbath stories remind me of the time after I split from my ultra tbm ex that my kids and I saw him at a gas station. My kids were so shocked at the hypocrisy lol

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 01:19AM

Do as I say!

No as I dodo.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 14, 2017 01:39AM

I remember when Sunday grocery shopping in big supermarkets became a thing here in the 1980's (small grocery stores had always been open 7 days a week). The churches all protested like this was the first step on the stairway to hell.....and now it's no big deal...like buying booze at the liquor store next door on Sunday.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.