Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 12:14PM

Felt like the Vietnamese were about to break down my door when I woke up. I won't find peace when I am this surrounded I don't think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 12:15PM by badassadam.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 12:23PM

I think most of us have triggers like that after leaving mormonism.

What has always bothered me is when mormon strangers show up on my doorstep trying to reactivate or "teach" me about their one true church. I've always thought it's wrong of them to keep harassing anyone who has told them to stay away.

This kind of harassment has given me severe hives and has made my throat close up making it hard to talk in my normal tone and volume.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 12:27PM

Have you tried placing a "No soliciting" sign on your door?

Put it in a conspicuous place, along with a "NO trespassing" sign with the addendum: "Violators will be prosecuted." Hehehe.

If that doesn't do it, call the police.

Date: February 12, 2017 01:27PM

I gotta get a sign of some kind just the anticipation of having my door knocked is giving me insane anxiety not sure if I have the throat thing but something is going on.

Date: February 12, 2017 02:49PM

Many MPs tell their mishies to ignore No Soliciting signs because the mishies "aren't selling anything." Of course we know they're selling their church for 10%, but they don't mention that until later. They're also soliciting membership and support for their church, but still they almost always ignore the signs.

No Trespassing signs might work better. I haven't tried that because my husband objects to signs on the door or in the yard.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:01PM

"No soliciting. Missionaries will be cooked and eaten."

Posted by: nevermo4 ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:16PM

Hope you still have your hose then Cheryl!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:23PM

So you don't like Vietnamese ?

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:35PM

Just a reminder that none of us are under any obligation to open our doors or answer phones if we don't want to. Grab yourself a good drink and book and just ignore those you choose to ignore.

Posted by: CateS ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 04:02PM

Yeah. Nevermo here but I have been not answering the door for years.

Finally, about the 1000th time after trying to throw some clothes on to answer for someone offering to blow the roof off my house or give me a copy of the Watchtower in a catatonic voice, I decided I was sick of answering the door for people I didn't invite over.

After you've done it like 3 times, it gets very easy.

Date: February 12, 2017 04:00PM

Vietnam war is what I'm referring to

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 06:52PM

My Vietnamese friend had a big Rambo poster on his wall growing up. Could have gotten in big trouble if the authorities found out. Maybe you should put up a big hot centerfold where the mishies would sit straight across from it should they visit.

Date: February 12, 2017 10:35PM

Maybe I should it was pretty awkward the last time I let them in I felt like I was talking to twelve year olds they were so young.

Date: February 12, 2017 10:44PM

That makes exmos prisoners. They can't park in their driveways to carry in groceries. They can't sit on their front porches or talk to neighbors by the mailboxes. They can't do yard work without having to deal with mormons who intrude into their space.

No, that's a bad idea.

Mormons have no right to come onto property where they've been told to stay away.

This idea of staying holed up and not answering the door blames the exmo homeowner for what mormons do.

That idea doesn't work for me.

Posted by: canary21 ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 10:52PM

Question: Are visiting teachers and home teachers overly-persistent with less active members? As in knocking on their door until they get an answer or calling and leaving messages or emails?

Date: February 12, 2017 10:58PM

They've been super persistent at my door including loud knocking and waiting for a good while and knocking again. This has happened on more than one occasion they show no reguard or respect but they'll fake smile at you that's for sure.

Date: February 12, 2017 10:54PM

Good call they are turning me into a recluse right now and its my fault this aint healthy

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 01:56AM

Eleven years later I still have trouble really relaxing on Sundays. I still go to bed on Saturday nights with an inexplicable feeling of dread. I still can't quite internalize that three out of four Sundays I don't work, so Saturday night is essentially the same as Friday night. There's nothing to dread on Sundays anymore.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 01:57AM by scmd.

Posted by: mahana ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:33AM

I know how you feel. I'm sorry you are dealing with that. ((hugs))

In my case I am married to a believing spouse & a huge argument is likely to commence every time some busybody from church knocks on the door. When I first resigned I was trying my best to tread lightly so as not offend anyone from the ward. I knew the gossip would make it's way back to my spouse & stir up more problems. I had so much anxiety over it & started feeling like a caged animal trapped in my own home because the harassment was relentless. Finally I had enough of it & knew nothing would change if I didn't. I decided the next time somebody knocked that was it.. So someone knocks, my heart starts pounding, & I'm sweating it like no other. I opened the door raised my voice loud enough for my husband to hear & told them we weren't interested, if my husband was he knew where to find them, & shut the door before they got a word out. My husband came in with a weird look on his face & kinda mumbled a question asking if it was someone from the ward. I replied yes it was & if you don't want me to deal with them the next time they show up then I suggest you deal with them first & tell them to stop coming by. I stood there anticipating a another a huge blow up but to my surprise he basically muttered umm ok, I deal with it then.. & that was that.

I know that may not sound like a big deal to someone else, but at the time it was huge for me. It was the beginning of me taking my power back over them & that horrible excuse of a religion. My point is the more you do it the easier it gets. Kinda like the first time you put coffee, booze, or real underwear in your shopping cart. I know it is easier said than done but don't allow them that control over you. Practice saying something like this.. I want no further contact from you or the church, do not come here again or I will file a restraining order. Then the next time someone knocks, take a deep breath, get your mind in a good place, stand up for yourself, & let them have it, then shut the door on them before they mutter a word. With a little practice you'll be a pro at it in no time & won't even blink an eye.

Date: February 13, 2017 12:18PM

Date: February 13, 2017 12:03PM

I do feel like I'm getting a little better at dealing with them I used to be way too nice and just get walked on not anymore.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.