Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Healed ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:10PM

Is this your number one example of significant changes in Mormon docrine? It is mine. I grew up in priestood meeting learning how Christ's love was NEVER conditional. Russell Nelson's conference talk, and subsequent 2003 article in The Ensign magazine, where he states that Christ's, "Divine Love Is Also Conditional" was truly shocking to me! Although I had already put Mormonism aside, this doctrinal change was a real gut check to me.

"While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional. The word does not appear in the scriptures. On the other hand, many verses affirm that the higher levels of love the Father and the Son feel for each of us—and certain divine blessings stemming from that love—are conditional. Before citing examples, it is well to recognize various forms of conditional expression in the scriptures."

Russell M. Nelson
By Elder Russell M. Nelson
Of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:15PM

My parents never got that memo.

Posted by: anonuk ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 06:53AM

quote:

"the HIGHER levels of love the father and son feel for each of us are conditional"

translation:

'all animals are equal but some are more equal than others'

more doublespeak from the big brother wannabes

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:47PM

I think Elder Nelson is confusing compliance with the law to receive God's blessings, not His love (I don't believe any of this anyway - but still...) It's pretty insidious, really. The idea that you have to be worthy for God to love you, and you can never be worthy enough - you know that pesky human nature business. And repentance be d@mned - as SWK said in It's a Miracle if You're Ever Forgiven (oops - The Miracle of Forgiveness), if you slip up ever again, all that former sin comes right back to you, so yup, you're never worthy.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 07:01AM

I'm glad the Quorum of the Twelve Assholes goes out of its way to demonstrate how clueless it is.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 09:47AM

In other words: "Those churches that *say* it's unconditional don't have the further light and knowledge we do that says it is--so pay your tithing and don't masturbate!"

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 01:10PM

I love when this subject comes up. To me it is the pivotal fact of Mormon matters. God can go from unconditional love to conditional love in the space of a few decades.

Thanks for posting. The only conclusion one can draw is Mormonism has no clue about the nature of God yet they have a pipeline to him and their first prophet met him.

"I don’t recall much of her prayer, the tears and the joy and the sweetness, but I remember one thought: she thanked God for the unconditional love she had received. This life doesn’t give one very many chances to feel exultant and a little successful, but I felt wonderful that night, and thank God that she really believes and understands what she said. We cannot, my dear brethren, condition our love by a beard or beads or habits or strange viewpoints. There have to be standards and they must be enforced, but our love must be unconditional."
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1971/10/love-unconditional?lang=eng

Posted by: recoveredmomo ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:03PM

What an idiot and what's worse the sheeple agree if you pointed this out to them 10 years ago I would say of course God loves mormons more. SMH.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:57PM

MORmON DoctUrine HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8yHieUkSJ8

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:06PM

MORmON DoctUrine - where "everlasting" might be less than 100 years !!!!! MORmON doctUrine because that is ALWAYS the way it is .....UNLESS IT IS NOT !!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxdf_8L3-PQ

Posted by: presleynfactsrock ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:54PM

Smirkorama hit the nail on the head emphatically with the statement..........

MORmON docUrine because that is ALWAYS the way it is.....UNLESS IT IS NOT!!!

Mormon members have got to be drunk with dizziness from the doctrinal spin that always surrounds them. But then, we know that this is not a real concern because they LOVE, SIMPLY LOVE the cult for the prestige, comraderie, direction and connection it brings into their lives.

GOD, WHERE WOULD THEY GO AND WHAT WOULD THEY DO WITHOUT IT?????????????

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2017 03:55PM by presleynfactsrock.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 03:29AM

"The Changing World of Mormonism," by Jerald and Sandra Tanner, revise addition, 2009:

http://www.utlm.org/other/changingworld.pdf

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2017 03:34AM by steve benson.

Posted by: Anonomo ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 10:03AM

"... it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional. The word does not appear in the scriptures."

Um. Does the word "conditional" appear in scriptures?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.