Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: paulk ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:52PM

I got home last night about 1 a.m. after a long-cross country flight and a full week of work. I woke up this morning and my wife said we had been "assigned" to clean the Church at 9 a.m. My first question was "did anyone ask us?". She said no, it was just an email informing us of our day and time.

I said I didn't appreciate that approach and would not be going. She actually didn't push back either.

Then a few minutes ago, we both just at another email saying our "cleaning assignment has been moved to next Saturday."

Guess what, if you don't ask me for my agreement on my willingness and a time, I'm not going to do it. Why does the Church, and Church culture, think it's acceptable to assign people without asking? Really irked me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:28PM

Mormons don't like to ask because they're afraid they get a "No."

Posted by: bluebutterfly ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:46PM

They use the term 'voluntold' and then they laugh about it because you are supposed to just be completely submissive without question.

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:48PM

If you don't open the emails and never show up, eventually they'll stop assigning you things.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:53PM

To top off some wards print in the Sacrament program each week whoever got cleaning duty for the next two weeks!! Our ward does this. Like people don't have families, jobs etc to deal with....

Posted by: anon there ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:39PM

Because the church takes the position that it literally owns its members, that's why. Because it has the conceit that everything it dictates actually comes from god, and you dare not disobey the mormon god.

Especially if you've been endowed, and have "covenanted" to give everything to the cult: time, money, effort, etc. Saying no to anything, then, is breaking a so-called covenant, and justifies the mormon god in punishing you any way he sees fit.

The church dogma states that since Jesus paid for your sins, he has bought *you* personally, and therefore owns you. And because the church reps Jesus (just like an agent, even to the 10% fee), *it* owns you.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 07:11PM

anon there Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Because the church takes the position that it
> literally owns its members, that's why.

Yep. Remember singing "I BELONG to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints?"

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:43PM

They know that you have been taught that you're doing 'Heavenly Father's' work. They're taking advantage of the fact that you wouldn't want to disappointment your Father.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 06:41PM

Because members covenanted in the temple to give the church whatever it wants.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 10:08AM

I, Adam, promise to clean toilets when assigned. Bow your head and say "yes".

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 06:52PM

I feel like I cleaned the church so much I should have been an exalted Jesus by now oh well.

Posted by: desertman ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 07:15PM

Because in their way of thinking you are their slave. Pure and Simple. If I own you I can tell you what to do!

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 07:46PM

As has been observed, The Church believes it owns you, body and soul (so to speak).

I remember a phrase used in my teenage years, back in the 70s:

"If a church leader tells you to do something - even if you think it is wrong - you MUST do it!"

Posted by: liesarenotuseful ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 09:24AM

They used to ask people to sign up to clean, but it didn't work. People didn't want to do it. So they resorted to assigning without asking.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 10:06PM

I would never do it. Glad I never did that temple thing-WOW! Unreal.

The less information you give ldsCULTure, the better. Joining the Mormon church puts you under a rest (and never let's you rest, always giving you a test!): anything you say or do - or don't do - can and will be held against you. There is no freedom in Mormonism. The saint's BALL & CHAIN is the "church" itself.

It is best to avoid spam. Meat doesn't tell me what to do. How about you?

M@t

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.