Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ninjago ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 09:58AM

I grew up in a small rural town outside of Utah. I attended a small high school that bussed kids in from over 60 miles away. I also attended a small ward in another town that came to our school that was about 25 miles away.

Back in those days as part of the high school graduation ceremony we would have a what they called a "baccalaureate service" (a religious service held at some educational institutions before commencement, containing a farewell sermon to the graduating class) the Sunday before graduation. The guest speaker would rotate between pastors of the local churches. They year before I graduated the rotation came to the Mormon church. That year the graduating class was about 25 students, two of which were Mormon (one from very active family, the other semi active).

The bishop decided the "farewell sermon" should be on the law of chastity including . . . you guessed it. . . masturbation. All the students at the ceremony were WTF? I'm sure he drove more people from every being interested in TSSC than he brought to it. (Although as a side note, the biggest slut in the class married the semi active member's brother 10+ years later and now is a semi active though here husband has nothing to do with the church)

It was a little out odd. I don't remember the bishop being overly obsessed with the law of chastity/masturbation. In advancement interviews and interviews for dead dunking he basically just asked if we observed the law of chastity.

Our stake president, on the other hand was a perv. The stake center was over a hundred miles away so we didn't have much contact with them. I wonder if the SP put the pressure on the Bish when he learned it was his turn to be the guest speaker.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:30PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.