Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fred Karger ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 03:11AM

What would happen if girls in a local ward participated heavily in girl guides?Would the bishop object for any reason and what reason is that?A bishop can not prove the girls are commiting a sin like fornication for being involved in the brownies.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: themaster ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 04:21AM

The girls parents would have a meeting with their Bishops. Girl Scoutsvis frowned upon.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 04:23AM

But any bishop might might find it personally objectionable and make an issue of it by saying the Lord is telling him it's a bad idea.

The mormon church often takes a stand against anything that takes time or resources away from their agenda.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 04:55AM

We had brownies and girl scouts who were active
lds where I grew up, including leaders.

Why did that change? When it openly became tolerant and accepting of LGBT youth and leaders.

Then and only then did it become taboo. Add to that it became a tool to educate young women to think for themselves and develop leadership skills, and that just isn't tolerated in Mormania.

LDS Inc prefers to keep its girls practicing to be barefoot, prego, and stay at home moms. Feminism is not allowed!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 09:56AM by Amyjo.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:14AM

My daughter attended Brownies,she loved it on a wednesday,there was no primary achievement days in our ward at the time,when a new primary president was called she told me my daughter should attend,told it straight,daughter had been in Brownies for 2 years and no way was I going to make her give up,acheivement days,but held in the early evening lasted around a couple of months.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:23AM

When I was a kid there seemed to be no big deal about girls in those programs and many Mormon girls were in it. I have known LDS people involved in these programs. While not encouraged I don't think they are criticized for it either.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 05:05PM

I've wondered about this issue myself and learned the reasons.

The Boy Scouts of America had and has a straight-arrow, conservative, no-gays, paramilitary, patriotic image and reality, that TSCC found no fault with; and so the church has long encouraged BSA membership by Mormon youths. I'm sure that the number of LDS "Eagle Scouts" (top rank) is way out of proportion to the number of Mormons in the general population.

The GSA, by contrast, of its very nature (getting girls outside and into Nature! and promoting female leadership) has an inherently feminist direction. I'm going to quote from an article on Slate.com.

"Boy and Girl Scouts have much in common, but from the beginning they diverged in fundamental ways, and these differences linger in the organizations to this day. The founding of Boy Scouts in 1910 stemmed from a larger turn-of-the-century crisis in Anglo-American masculinity, according to historian Susan Miller, author of 'Growing Girls: The Natural Origins of Girls' Organizations in America.' Increasing urbanization caused Americans to worry that young men were becoming soft and emasculated; organizations like the Boy Scouts promised to restore virile masculinity. 'American men were supposed to get their manhood by struggling against nature,' says Miller, pointing to how Boy Scouts learned skills useful to westbound adventurers and colonialist explorers.

"Two years later, Juliette Gordon Low founded the Girl Scouts, which faithfully replicated Boy Scout protocols, but for girls instead of boys. Changing the gender of the scouts, however, shifted the cultural meaning of scouting. While scouting for boys was about preserving the tradition of rugged, outdoorsy masculinity, scouting girls looked to the future, shucking off Victorian models of women as delicate flowers and replacing them with physically capable and adventurous women. (The Boy Scouts had previously backed another girls' organization, the Campfire Girls, which incorporated some elements of scouting, but with more of an eye towards domestication. Not so surprisingly, the national leadership of the Boy Scouts reacted poorly to the Girl Scouts, which had girls acting more as the Boy Scouts imagined boys should act.)

"These origins set the two organizations on strikingly different paths, despite their common emphasis on physical activity and volunteerism. The Boy Scouts still employ a nostalgic worldview, while the Girl Scouts focus more on keeping with the times. A quick overview of the Girl Scouts website shows the organization's pride in its lobbying efforts on behalf of girls, and a wide range of published research addressing 21st century concerns such as body image, bullying, and yes, sexual health—with an emphasis on waiting for sex until maturity. (The Boy Scouts by contrast produce publications that shy away from these more provocative concerns and instead emphasize themes such as respect for elders and church attendance.)"

In our times right-wing "Christians" have accused the GSA of being a covert radical-lesbian-feminist conspiracy in league with other demonized groups such Planned Parenthood, so also pro- premarital sex, pro-contraceptives, pro-abortion (in fact the Girl Scouts has no relationship with Planned Parenthood). For many years the Girl Scouts inclusively accepted non-hetero Scouts and adult leaders, and over twenty years ago gave non-believing girls the option not to mention God in the Girl Scout Oath. These are also in strong contrast to the BSA's tenacious resistance to such changes.

Instead of course TSCC has "Young Women," designed to keep the girls securely within the fold; led only by approved active sisters; and largely teaching conventional femininity, submission to the Priesthood, domestic skills, firm compliance with the Church's "moral standards" (only one piercing per ear!), longing for a Temple marriage to a worthy RM, etc., etc. This keeps the young women safe from the radical feminist agenda of the GSA.

http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/doublex/2011/09/the_girl_scouts_allegedly_radical_feminist_lesbian_agenda.html

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 05:54PM

Nonsense. My daughter was in Girl Scouts for about 6 years, most of the time we were active in the church. Everyone in the ward knew it - they all looked forward to buying cookies from her. A daughter of a bishopric member was also in her troop and the two of them sold to most of the active members in the ward together. Even after her LDS friend dropped out to be in Young Women and we went inactive, people still bought cookies from her.

Girl Scouts was great for my daughter. She went from being very shy and a homebody to having a ton of confidence. She went away to camp and learned to love hiking - something that is still a favorite hobby of hers today. She started as a Brownie and my only regret is that she wasn't in a troop that was more goal-oriented. Our troop was fun, we got badges, did community service and went on outings - lots of great opportunities for growth - but the girls weren't really encouraged to accomplish some of the big goals Girl Scouts can do, like the troop my friend was a leader for. My daughter didn't join her troop because they were older girls but those girls went on all kinds of trips and won all kinds of awards and worked hard while having a blast. They also did a lot of community service. Anyway, it's a great program.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.