Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:53PM

I once believed I needed a leader, until 9/11.
I became more of a nihlist than Nietzsche on 9/11.
God was either

A. Non Existent
B. Ambivalent
C. Impotent or
D. Malevolent

Either way the end result was the same, we were on our own.
The man I believed to be a Prophet, turned into a feeble minded, frail old man who had nothing to offer mankind except MoTab songs and meaningless platitudes 2 days after 9-11.

I came home and looked at my dog laying on my back porch and realized that my fucking dog knew more about God's intentions on 9/11 than the self proclaimed "PRofit".
He became a PRetend PRofit, spewing PRopoganda. From that point forward he became "Gordo the Clown PRofit" to me.
I no longer need a fucking Prophet or a leader of any kind.
I was left with nothing on 9-11.
MY faith laid in waste at the bottom of a smoldering black hole. But I had ancient wisdom, far more wise than any words written in holy writ.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Gandhi

"Live every day as though it is your last day on Earth.
Learn every day as though you will live forever." Gandhi

"We are all one. Forgetting this truth is the cause of all war and hatred. Remembering it is easy.
Love.
This and every moment.
My religion is simple.
My religion is kindness."
Dalai Lama 9-11

All I had on 9/11, and the days after, was love of my fellow men and hatred of what religion had delivered.

I no longer need a leader.

The sooner we lay waste to dangerous Doomsday narratives and tribal mentality, the better for humanity.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 01:55PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:34AM

"Are you a prophet?"
"I am sustained as such."

Who is the more foolish? The fool or the fool who follows him?

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:50AM

Well...

Some are so entrenched in their cultic thinking and so unfamiliar with the world outside their bubble of Mormonism, it's not necessarily fair to quantify.

I understand what you mean, though. Regardless of what I said above, we all possess the ability to make a Leap Forward in our thinking. Some of us are at a disadvantage, being born in in the cult. It's harder for some than others. I think some are so religiously intrenched it almost amounts to a kind of feeble-mindedness.

At some point, though, we complete our intellectual development, and we can decide to start making decisions for ourselves. It's at that point where we become fools for doing what we know is wrong, or following a religion that is inconsistent with logic, fact, or history.

As to what the OP said, some people thrive under leadership, regardless of their intellect. Some people need it, or feel like they need it. They feel like they are meant to be followers.

I definitely know people, some of them pretty well, who I think feel they need to be led by the kind of people who lead the church. It'd like they feel unwhole without someone telling them what to do.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 02:54AM by midwestanon.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:57AM

Only when fishing.

Date: February 11, 2017 01:56PM

touche!

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 02:59AM

You have to lead you its hard because as a Mormon you were always taught you needed leaders it was only to keep you controlled and paying money, you have to become totally self sustaining no matter what happens you are not dependant on another.

Date: February 11, 2017 09:28PM

True.
I feel like a man who was born on a slave ship. I grew up on the slave ship believing it was the one and only, bestest ship in the world. I saw it as the nicest cruise ship on the planet, Everybody in my family before me was born and died on that ship. with all my family and closest friend ever aboard.
I saw the world on that ship. I met my queen on that ship and raised a family on that ship. And we were all sure that ship would get us to our destination, the ultimate paradise, eternal bliss.
Then one day, out of nowhere a torpedo hit the S.S. Joseph's Myth and it started taking on water faster than the bilge pumps could keep up. I went down below and could see that the ship was in danger of going down with my whole family aboard, everything, my whole life. I had a choice to make, get on a life raft with my wife and kids, or go down with the ship and drown in the ocean.
I chose the life raft.
The wife didn't make it.
Fucking sharks.
But the kids and I did, more importantly.
Now the kids are all grown, having their own adventures on Terra Firma, not slaves on a slave ship that was going around and around in circles, going nowhere fast.
Now I've got my freedom in a new land, on Terra Firma, full of possibilities, creativity and the ability to finally, self actualize and achieve what I was destined to achieve.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 09:32PM by koriwhore.

Date: February 12, 2017 11:40PM

Thats a good way to put it

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 11:58AM

Funny you bring this up koriwhore because yesterday I was musing about the same subject.

I used to defer to "leaders" all the time--even before I converted to LDS--and I realize now it was because I was just being lazy. I found it worrisome and draining to think for myself so I bought into the false narrative about leaders being necessary.

I have TBM friends who still regard those in the church hierarchy as super-special. Thankfully their alleged authority doesn't move my needle anymore.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:03PM

In the sense that I need to have someone do my thinking for me, no. There are certain religious leaders for whom I have respect. Even then, I don't always agree with what they say.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:24PM

I AM THE LEADER! LOOK INTO MY EYES! FOLLOW THE BONER. YOU WILL FOLLOW THE BONER! --as I twirl three time clicking my heals in my red fluorescent Nike's...

Posted by: getbusylivin ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 11:14PM

All Hail Elder Brother President BYU Boner, Living Prophet, Uber-Factotum, Possessor of Large Titles, Who Sitteth On The Right Hand of That Other Guy, LLC.

For an autographed 8 X 10 glossy of E.B.P.B.Y.U. Boner, send $39.99 {+ $19.99 shipping/handling} to:

getbusylivin
Trailer 16-rear
New Nauvoo Trailer Park & Nutritional Supplement Depot
1733926 East Frontage Road
Zion Salt Flats, UT 85002

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 11:41PM

Largo al factotum ... Figaro, Figaro, Figaro...!!! Not your average baritone's Boner!

https://youtu.be/AZLAeUDLnxs

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 11:48PM by BYU Boner.

Date: February 11, 2017 06:25PM

Hahaha

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:20PM

Hell no!

It's more like a misleader (leading astray, more often than not). "Leaders" open their mouths. Role models don't need to!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:33PM

Only if you're a follower. Followers need a leader. If you're not a follower, you're leading your own way, hence no need for a leader.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 13, 2017 12:42PM

I guess if I wake up in some place in the sky, I'd just be glad of it and adjust to whatever situation I find.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.