Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:02PM

Yes, folks, Maher said tonight on CNN that he would give Mitt Romney $1 million and personally become a Mormon, if Mitt would take over the presidency.
_____

Covering it here from every angle on RfM (below is a related link--thank you, "korihwore"--which I just saw and am back-editing it in here):

http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,1937774,1937774#msg-1937774

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 11:10PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:29PM

When Maher said that, I choked on my tea.

He said "I gave President Obama (PAC) $1M so Mitt Romney wouldn't become President". And then something like I'll give a million more if Romney takes over our country - "I'll become a MORMON and give a million more if Romney takes over".

Funny line, especially as he'd previously commented that he is an atheist and how there are a lot in America (even if people aren't aware of that) and how "all religion is stupid".

To follow it up by saying he'd become a Mormon was really funny. He looked serious though. I think he'd honour his word if necessary. Not that he's in any danger of a baptism commitment session - zero chance constitutionally that it could happen that way, even if DT doesn't finish out his term.

I did have a (strange) vision of Maher in the font though. That would be one for the ages. I wonder how long before he'd go inactive. Likely a lot quicker than I did!

(edited to fix a word and punctuation here and there and to change wording to smooth it out. Content not changed).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 09:21PM by Nightingale.

Date: February 10, 2017 11:06PM

I had just watched Maher say it on our delayed feed out here in Arizona, but I was on deadline, so didn't have time to write it down or track down a transcript or video of it in the moment.

I tried to get as close as I could to the actual quote from my marginal memory, and am glad you were here with vital backup to offer the real thing. :)

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:37PM

Very thoroughly...very deeply...three or four minutes, just to make sure he's properly washed of his sins.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:36PM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very thoroughly...very deeply...three or four
> minutes, just to make sure he's properly washed of
> his sins.

What a fine example of that 'christian love' you guys are always talking about...implying you'd kill somebody who mocks your religion! Oooh, I want that kind of 'love,' can I be a christian too?

(sorry my friend, but you have to admit you had that one coming)

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:49PM

A million is peanuts to Mittens, but I don't think anyone would need to pay or otherwise bribe him. He wants to be president so badly that he'd pay to make it happen.

Posted by: en passant ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 09:16AM

Ann wants to be First Lady more that Mitt wants to be Prez. She was heartbroken after her plans to move into the White House went south and she realized she wasn't going to be the next Nancy Reagan. I think she had all the rooms pre-decorated in her brain.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:12PM

Mitt's out. He was discriminated for being filthy rich and a Mormon.

The other one wouldn't have stood a chance were he LDS. Religion does most definitely play a role in politics.

People would rather vote for a Buddhist or a Muslim in this country, before they would a Mormon. Mormons aren't considered Christians by Christianity criteria.

Although it was noted in the news earlier this week, all past US presidents had Christian upbringings.

"Almost all of the presidents can be characterized as Christian, at least by upbringing, though some were unaffiliated with any specific religious body. Protestants predominate, with Episcopalians and Presbyterians being the most prevalent. There was only one Roman Catholic president, John F. Kennedy. No president thus far has been openly an atheist.[7] However, it has been acknowledged that three US Presidents-Thomas Jefferson, Lincoln and Andrew Johnson-had no religious affiliation." (wiki)

"A recent survey by the Pew Research Center shows that many Americans care about their leaders’ faith. For instance, half of all American adults say it’s important for a president to share their religious beliefs. And more people now say there is “too little” religious discussion by their political leaders (40%) than say there is “too much” (27%).

Historically, about a quarter of the presidents – including some of the nation’s most famous leaders, such as George Washington, James Madison and Franklin Roosevelt – were members of the Episcopal Church, the American successor to the Church of England. Unitarians and Baptists (including Bill Clinton and Harry Truman) are the groups with the third-largest share of presidents, each with four.

Although Roman Catholicism has long been the nation’s largest religious denomination, John F. Kennedy remains the only Catholic president. And since Kennedy’s assassination in 1963, only one other Catholic, John Kerry, has been a presidential nominee on a major party ticket.

Two of the most famous presidents in American history had no formal religious affiliation. The first, Thomas Jefferson, lost his faith in orthodox Christianity at an early age, but continued to believe in an impersonal God as the creator of the universe. Jefferson famously edited the New Testament by removing references to the miracles and leaving in Jesus’ teachings.

The second, Abraham Lincoln, was raised in a religious household and spoke frequently about God (particularly as president), but never joined a church. Scholars have long debated Lincoln’s beliefs, including the question of whether or not he was a Christian, and some aspects of his faith remain a mystery.

Lincoln is not the only president for whom there is some uncertainty surrounding his affiliation and beliefs. Some presidents were more private than others about their religious leanings and some may have evolved in their beliefs during their life.

For example, Lincoln’s second vice president and ultimately his successor, Andrew Johnson, identified himself as a Christian, but never was formally part of a denomination or congregation. Another 19th century president, Rutherford B. Hayes, sometimes attended Methodist churches, but “moved among Protestant denominations during his life,” according to the Berkley Center for Religion, Peace & World Affairs at Georgetown University.

Trump’s predecessor, Barack Obama, was raised in a nonreligious household but converted to Christianity as an adult and worshipped at a United Church of Christ congregation – Trinity United Church of Christ – in Chicago. However, Obama left Trinity during his first presidential campaign in 2008 after controversial statements by the church’s senior pastor, Jeremiah Wright, gained widespread attention. Today, Obama calls himself a Christian, but is not a regular churchgoer."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2017/01/20/almost-all-presidents-have-been-christians/

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:16PM

He did a documentary, 'Religulous' that crucified MORmONism.
He sure as hell knew what he was tslking about then. He pretty much called President Pnssygrabber, who filed a $5million lawsuit against Maher over the whole birther bullshit. I love Maher. He is our country's most vocal and honest critic.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:21PM

Okay, okay, so I'm a SNAB--Sensitive New Age Boner--who feels sorry for Mitt. Can you imagine what he must think, "I fucking lost an election that Trump won four years later! I've never even thought of KittyGrabbing!"

Date: February 10, 2017 11:22PM

. . . in Utah, the correct terminology is "I flippin' lost an election."

Date: February 10, 2017 11:33PM

H E "double-hockey sticks" no! No man know my thoughts! Mitt's Boner.

Posted by: Backseater ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 07:44AM

On election night and in the days following, liberal news commentators used all kinds of bad language to describe the situation as they saw it, and nobody seemed the least bit concerned. I won't give any direct quotes, but there's plenty of it on Youtube. All networks were affected except Fox.

Like it or not, obscenities up to and including the dreaded "F-Word" are now acceptable on network television as long as they are used by liberals complaining about our new president.

And who is this Bill Maher and why should we care what he thinks about anything? Is he somehow connected to these mysterious "Kardashians" we keep hearing about? Is he the same Bill Maher who appeared in "Cannibal Women in the Avocado Jungle of Death" (1989) with Shannon Tweed and Adrian Barbeau? That sounds like a solid journalistic credit.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 09:23PM

I must say, I was very amused the way Trump dangled the office of Secretary of State to Mittens. Interviewed him, dined him, interviewed him some more. Let people gush over how diplomatic Trump was after all the hostile things Romney said and did (advancing Evan McMuffin as an independent), etc. etc. etc.

Then sent the "#NeverTrump" guy home empty-handed.

#NeverHadAChanceRomney

Posted by: nomonomo ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:42PM

One of the most concrete things I remember about mittens was at some sort of banquet during the election period--after he was nominated but before he lost--when he got up to speak, he must have pointed out fifteen times that he doesn't drink. The MORmON compulsion to point out how "good" and "wholesome" you are... NOBODY CARES!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 11:43PM by nomonomo.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 03:56AM

If he does that I will become a comedian

Posted by: payme ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 06:20AM

I don't know that it matters which Xtian religion a candidate claims, as long as they utter the Xtian code-words enough times, equate the Xtian god with the "strength" and [inherent] "goodness" of being "American."

Candidates don't usually (shouldn't) specify a particular Xtian brand, but there should be oft-replayed footage of them entering and exiting a Xtian-brand church to support the code-words.

My take on bigotry is that Mittens was branded as being too close to (gleeful claims to being of) the "original tribes." I think the othe dem candidate was ignored for the same, nearly covert reason. If it's important to voters...

Poor Ivanka. If it wasn't sickening, it would be almost funny that the chain that just dropped her line offers a pricey line called "True Religion," with $200 skin-tight jeans. I'm no orange-top fan, quite the opposite, but even less a fan of bigotry. Fighting bigotry with bigotry makes for losers on both sides.

Posted by: Morridora ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 09:32AM

Mr. Maher is coming to SLC tonight for a "concert" at the new Eccles theater and I have tickets! Do you think he may be trying out Mormon related bits before he goes on? I can't wait. Will return and report.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 03:11PM

"Maher said tonight on CNN that he would give Mitt Romney $1 million and personally become a Mormon, if Mitt would take over the presidency."

Maybe Maher should up his game a little. Mitt's net worth is $250 million. What's one measly million to him?

Date: February 11, 2017 03:44PM

Date: February 11, 2017 09:14PM

When one is already on the 14% tax plan, methinks the write-off wouldn't be that big of an incentive. Oh, that I would have that bracket come April 15th!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 12:16PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.