Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 09:05PM

But she is smarter than all the Mormons put together, how is this possible? Isnt Jehovah's witnesses just as controlling of a cult and mind numbing? I dont know much about the Jehovah's witnesses maybe you guys can enlighten me.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 09:48PM

In my experience, they are even more crazy than the Mormons. Any religion that teaches that it is better for a child to die than have a blood transfusion is fucked up. Smart people can still be brainwashed.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:20PM

One of my oldest friends is now JW. We never discuss religion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 11:20PM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Jessupnorth93 ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 11:32PM

I have an "adopted" grandma you could call her, who is JW. I know what you mean, in some things they are much more open minded, level headed and in some ways their critical thinking skills in some areas are better. But they can be just as bad or worse than Mormons when it comes to the opposite of those things. I've investigated Mormonism and the JWs both a fair bit, and if I was ever gonna believe in one of the two biggest cults in America, I would still choose the Mormons.

Date: February 11, 2017 03:22AM

Damn that's pretty bad I don't even want to investigate the JWs now I'd rather not know if its worse than the Mormons

Posted by: sparty ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:02AM

I've met some smart Mormons, and I've met some smart JWs. I've met dumb ones from each camp, too. They are both morons when it comes to theology. In my opinion, Mormonism doesn't have anything on JWs. As previously stated, any religion that teaches that it is better to die than receive a blood transfusion is evil at its core. JWs tend to be nice (but weird) people, but there is no way to defend their religion.

Date: February 11, 2017 03:17AM

Gotcha that helps a lot cause I know absolutely nothing about JW but just by the way she is and the way I am I would say without question mormonism is the more damaging religion but I think I spent more time in mine then she has in hers. I don't think she was born and raised in it though like I was in mormonism she is a little a weird you got that right a little in my face not sure if they are all like that but she is pretty sharp like I said she is pretty aware of what is happening with me and the church and separating from my family without me saying a word.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 04:14AM

It's more about finding a community and belief system which fulfills one's emotional needs and mindset. There isn't much logic to it.

Date: February 11, 2017 04:25AM

So that's why there are all ranges in cults. I do remember watching something saying that even the smartest people can be brainwashed or was it mind controlled I don't remember.

Posted by: immunity ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 05:42AM

I'm pretty sure I don't have to say it, but trust your instincts where cults are concerned. I'm sure JWs have their own methods if not love-bombing, but I don't know what they are.

You are vulnerable right now, so please be careful how and with whom you bond. It is not impossible to get sucked back into a cult, even smart people, even you.

Sorry if I sound preachy, just concerned.

Date: February 11, 2017 07:04PM

I appreciate it and I've been firm that I'm not interested in the JW over and over with her and she swears she just sees me as a son and is just being nice but sometimes I wonder if she is trying to soften me up for later cause she can read me like a book she's sharp.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 08:36AM

the jay dubs are every bit as insane as the mormons.

Date: February 11, 2017 07:06PM

That's what I was afraid of

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 09:12AM

I have a JW colleague whom I respect a great deal. Most (but not all) JW kids whom I've met have been very nice. My guess is that it's similar to Mormonism in that one is either born into it or it appeals on some emotional level.

I'm taking a class right now. One thing that has been presented that has really struck a chord with me is how every behavior that a kid presents is need-driven. A kid needs love, attention, and to be validated by one's peers. I think adults are the same way. An adult might be attracted to a particular religion or denomination due to unmet needs.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:48AM

I wrote a paper on what happens in cults and the consequences of conformity in that environment. My favourite quote from Philip Zimbardo that was in the paper:

"When you believe 'It can't happen to me,' that's when con artists or cult agents have you at their mercy because then you're not as vigilant to the little situational ploys that can get you to step across the line," Zimbardo explains"

http://www.apa.org/monitor/nov03/jonestown.aspx

Intelligence doesn't have as much to do with being drawn or staying in a cult as you might think. It seems counter-intuitive, but personality traits are a better indicator of this. People are very good at justifying their cognitive dissonance and we do it everyday. I think that Mormons who stay in happen to be exceptionally good at reducing their cog dis with all the evidence against it. One of my brothers is pretty much a genius- highly intelligent and a high level government employee, yet he has faithfully stayed in the cult, not straying once or rebelling. I imagine he's been able to come to terms with the problems in the cult through justification.

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 10:53AM

JWs shun those who leave. It is part of their teaching. That includes wives, children, and any other family members and friends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2017 10:53AM by notamormon.

Posted by: yeppers ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 11:17AM

The Christian craziness scale is this from worst to least:

1. Backwoods snake-handling churches
2. Amish
3. Jehovah's Witnesses
4. Mormon Church
5. Catholic Church
6. Protestant Churches (Lutheran, etc)
7. Baptist
8. Churches of Christ
9. General Christian Churches (non-affiliated)
10. Non-denominational Christian

I've very aware of all of them. The Amish is very much like JW except they have even more extreme control over you life.

JW is far worse than Mormons on the control and crazy scale.

Backwoods churches... you can smell the crazy as you enter the town.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 01:09PM

You forgot the Evangelical/fundie Christians. I would put them somewhere between the Catholics and the Mormons. Baptists can be quite varied, but the most conservative Baptists would be in the Evangelical/fundie camp. And I've seen a range of beliefs in independent churches as well. Some are quite fundie.

Date: February 11, 2017 07:14PM

I'm really starting to gauge how crazy my neighbor is right now after reading this I just thought she was a little whacky but maybe she is being controlled a little more than I thought she claims to not go to church anymore but I don't really know.

Date: February 11, 2017 07:27PM

Thanks for the informative post I wonder if all escapes from mormonism are kind of a bizzare journey as the mind tries to regain itself. I will definitely be on a higher guard around the JW from here on out for some reason I thought they were less as bad.

Posted by: boilerluv ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 12:59PM

Having read several issues of the JW publications, the "Watchtower" and "Awake," I can assure you they are crazy. As I understand it, the Watchtower Society is very much like the Scientology organization, in that a lot of the $$ raised goes directly to the top. However, be that as it may--I think the JWs are crazier than the Mormons, but only for this reason: they don't "love bomb" people--they "terror bomb or fear bomb" them. Their publications are full of the horrors of hell unless you join them. My dad used to look through them and laugh at the joy they seemed to take in the idea of being "in heaven" and being able to look down and see those who failed to join them "gnashing their teeth in agony." Lovely people, eh? And there's there's the business of them not allowing their kids to have blood transfusions if they are dying, not allowing them to celebrate ANY holidays, incuding their birthdays, or Christmas or--well, ANY holiday. I have also heard of JWs dragging little children out of church services and beating them senseless because they "wouldn't sit still and listen for four hours". Give me a break. "Wouldn't? try couldn't, you jerks! And of course, like the Mormons, THEIRS is the ONLY "true religion" and if you don't join them, you're damned to hell for all eternity. Actually, the Mormons don't say that do they? Isn't it just that you can't join your family in the highest heavenly realm? Not an actual "you will burn forever thing," right?

The JWs and the Mormons were the two cults that terrified me when my grandkids were little. I was so afraid they would get to that "angst" age--teens/college age, and be susceptible to somebody who appeared happy and came knocking at their door. That is why I took them to the UU church in the first place--so they could learn about religion, the world's religions, and learn (and this was the MAIN thing) to think for themselves and learn to recognize false teachings. And it worked. So--as far as I'm concerned, the Mormons and the JWs are equally crazy--with, in my opinion only, the JWs being scarier than the Mormons, but the Mormons being--oh, I don't know..."sillier", maybe?

In the list somebody posted above, I would put the Baptists up above the Catholics. That new Pope, Francis, is very liberal and the old-time conservative Catholics are horrified by him. I kinda like him, except, of course, he's still Catholic, but he did say the other day that he believes atheists (like MOI!) will be welcome in heaven. :) It's Baptists who built the Ark that people flock to in Kentucky, Baptists who are the underlying group behind sects like the Duggar's "Quiverfull," and Baptists who are screaming the loudest about LGBTQ rights. The Pentecostals are pretty scary, as well, and so are the "Assemblies of God," who go by different names. And there are a bunch of evangelical churches (some Baptist, some AOG, some Church of Christ (but not United Church of Christ, which is very liberal and totally different), some non-denominational Christian) who are sponsoring those hideous "Hell Houses" that they drag kids and teens to in order to scare them into staying in the church by showing them the torments that await the poor souls who are going to Hell which will include them if they don't toe the line. The more 10 and 11 and 12 year olds who scream and cry in terror the better, they think, and if they have nightmares for years, so very much the better. :(

I was raised Methodist and am now atheist. One way I got that way (totally away from Christianity) was by looking at what Mormons believe, and what JWs believe, and what the snake-handlers believe, and the Amish, etc. etc. and finally asked myself, "How is that so different from some of the things that any Christian church teaches? It's ALL unbelievable. It's ALL.....just silly. I re-read the Bible, frowned, read some Dawkins and Hitchins and some others and finally admitted to myself that no, I did not believe in the God of the Bible. Not sure the rabbi known as "Jesus" ever really existed, but if so, he was not as portrayed in the "Bible", and most of that stuff never really happened at all.

Bottom line: If you're going to escape from Mormonism, I applaud your good sense and wish you good luck in getting rid of the brainwashing. Same with JW. If one of my kids had gotten into a cult (LDS or JW) and now had to get out, I would prefer Mormons to JWs. I truly think JWs are crazier and more frightening. Caveat: personal opinion only, based on people I have known and things I have read.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:25AM

Do JWs still believe that only 144,000 people will go to heaven and that it'll be here on Earth?
They also won't salute the flag, stand for the National Anthem, serve in the military, say the pledge of allegiance.
The LDS are very patriotic though. They're more strict on going door yo door than the LDS (The JWs)
If you live near a Kingdom Hall, you'll always see cars in the parking lot . They're in church a lot more than the LDS, very controlling.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 02:44AM

I've occasionally chatted with street-corner JWs; they will seldom answer a straight up Yes / No question abt their church, just like Mormons (once you're below the surface, that is)

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 12, 2017 03:19AM

I have a neighbor who is a Jemima's witness, always knocking on my door offering free pancakes and the hope of maple syrup in the afterlife.

She's sweet, but pretty annoying, so I think I know what you mean...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.