Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 01:40AM

The scene where neo is talking to the creator of the matrix just made me start laughing I think you guys know what I'm talking about. I couldn't follow a thing the architect was saying and it just reminded me of the educated responses and intelligent answers I get on here with research to back it up and I'm just like neo with the one word answers. Anyways it's pretty boring up here in Idaho.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:39AM

The Matrix movies are pretty closely and metaphorically related to Mormonism. The church members are all live in the Matrix. Those who leave the church have been unplugged from the matrix. When I go in to a mormon church building now, I very much see it like when Neo ventures back in to the Matrix after being unplugged. The church leaders and the missionaries are all "agents", and the prophet is the architect. In the real world, the church members are just like batteries that keep the lights on and the machines going. Every fifty to a hundred years or so, the mormon church starts with a next generation of people and re-makes itself, just like how the architect explains how this marltrix is not the first revision, and that they start over again when an existing matrix becomes unmanagable. Today's youth see a completely different mormon church than the one I grew up in. They're in the next generation of the Matrix, fully plugged in, and happy to he there. But there's only one problem... it's not real.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2017 04:43AM by azsteve.

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 09:38AM

No one leaves the matrix.

That's how NEO can control the machines "outside" the matrix.

Also of note: Neo is not the one. Agent Smith is the one.

Posted by: Itzpapalotl ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 10:28AM

Hey, spoiler alert! :D

I actually need to sit down and watch Revolutions as I got bored with the series after the sequel, but your concept about Agent Smith is intriguing.

Date: February 10, 2017 04:36PM

Holy shit I always knew there was a connection between the church and matrix when it first came out and I really do feel unplugged now I do see the missionaries differently when I see them on the street like agents. I can relate to wanting to be plugged back in and not face true reality as well. Wow you explained it Well scary but true I don't even want to tempt fate by walking into a church again even non-mormon.

Date: February 10, 2017 04:39PM

And how did you figure out agent Smith is the one?

Posted by: kvothe ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:56PM

Just Youtube: Film Theory "Neo is not the one"

Very compelling.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 10, 2017 04:48PM

My first introduction to the Matrix movies was to binge watch them all together. That was a great Saturday.

Date: February 10, 2017 05:00PM

Nice that would be a good way to do it the final battle is pretty tight I think.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 11, 2017 03:29PM

I was a TBM stationed in South Korea in 1999 when the Matrix first came out. I had no idea what the film was about and I went to the base theatre to watch it.

I was blown away when I first watched it. Mind blown. When I left the theater I felt like I was underwater. I had this weird feeling that I needed to question my own reality more. I ended up going for an impromptu run around the base. That feeling that I was somehow duped by some unseen thing stayed with me for a month or so after that. I could not shake it and I couldn't put my finger on it either.

I was studying cosmology at the time and I checked out every book in the Base Library on the subject. Eventually I realized that the evidence of the big bang theory was substantial and to deny it was like denying the Grand Canyon after viewing it. My mental shelf broke.

Obviously, looking back, I was trying to come to grips with the fact that I was in a cult and I had spent all of my life in its service. My mission was a sham as well as my temple marriage (my first wife has Borderline-personality-disorder). It was not easy to admit that after 30-something years.

1999 was a big year for me.

Date: February 11, 2017 04:46PM

It seemed to be a big year for me as well I think it's when I first started doubting not just the religion but our government as well keeping us hooked to television and movies created the matrix.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.