Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Maude ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 03:57PM

The loosening of the No Politics rule is on a very short trial basis. Only by staying away from party politics will your post avoid deletion. (Hint: If the name of a politician is in your post - **zap** and so too with most current events and events related to the US election/transition/officials/hearings/appointees and other government types). The board's purpose is to help those questioning and leaving Mormonism, not to litigate the US government members and their actions and policies.

If you do bring general politics into your post, be sure to relate it to religion, as Eric has stated.

Eric also said that the moderating decisions can seem inconsistent, because this is not an exact science but very nuanced and often subjective. There are many considerations behind the scenes that we can't always explain as to why we reach certain decisions.

Mods are giving up more of their free time, for free, so we can loosen the no politics rule somewhat. Please read the new Admin note by Eric at the top of the board and cooperate with board policy. We don't want to go back to the no politics rule but we will if it's not working out.

Remember, RfM Admin Trumps Trump - iow - leave him and his actions out of it (make your point or example in general terms) or your post is bound to end up in the deleted pile. Not because we're partisan, just because that is a clear example of your post going over the line, even with the rule being reworked to allow some leeway.

Thanks for helping us out by reading the rules and cooperating. If you don't understand something please ask (email Eric).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 04:36PM

I think there are some political names which can get by, such as Joseph Smith who ran for president of the United States and Abraham Lincoln who visited Nauvoo. Perhaps it is even OK to note that Daniel H. Wells was on the jury that convicted Lincoln's client, William Fraime in Carthage and that early colonial Governor Welles was a progenitor of Daniel Wells and oversaw witch trials.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 05:02PM

Thanks for all you guys do in herding us cats. I've edited a couple of of my current posts to a more generic format, but will understand if you feel they're better deleted. It's your board, and your say is final. I'm just thankful you offer us this platform.

I say we make a special carve out for Birthday Party Politics. We'll share a big yummy cake and play games. Then we'll go for a swim after we wait 30 minutes.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 05:39PM

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 05:58PM

Considering all the executive orders Tee-rump has signed in his first two weeks, you'd think he would have the common decency to rescind Clemson's last touchdown against Bama.

Posted by: Heretic 2 ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 06:47PM

Growing up as a Mormon, there was this horrible stigma attached to illegal drugs. We were kind of conditioned to not even think about reasons and right and wrong. It was just automatically wrong. Then they legalized medical marijuana in my state (Arizona.) Then they had a public vote on recreational marijuana. I was really torn on how to vote. I wanted to discuss this non-party politics issue about legal drugs with other ex-Mormons who are suffering with the same conditioning I received, but the thread got deleted.

I don't understand the rules. Legal drugs are not illegal and so discussing them is not discussing something illegal. In Arizona, this was not a partisan issue. There were no particular parties or politicians involved. So the thread was not as political as many. The thread was more about trying to come to decisions about right and wrong when you are no longer Mormon and don't have an automatic answer of how you are supposed to think.

I don't understand.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 03, 2017 02:41AM

We try to avoid trigger words here. Illegal drugs cause psychotic reactions in people who haven't tried them.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 03, 2017 02:59AM

There are also concerns about young people who come through here as the result of a Google search, or by accident, or on the recommendation of a friend.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 08:38PM

Thanks, Maude. I will do my best to adhere to and support the rules.

Posted by: AnonNowatthemoment ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 09:07PM

Without naming names, I will only say that I'm really furious at people on the other side and what they do, and I heartily support my own side and its policies.

Posted by: randyj ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 11:47PM

"Without naming names, I will only say that I'm really furious at people on the other side and what they do, and I heartily support my own side and its policies."

I'm gonna hafta go ahead and disagree with ya there. I won't get into specifics, but my side is better than yours.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 03, 2017 01:20AM

Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: February 02, 2017 09:36PM

Funny...I don't come here much anymore but literally just signed on out of desperation for some safe, non political interaction. And this post immediately jumps off the screen. I have no idea how political things have gotten on the board, but I truly hope it does not harm the safety or the closeness of this community.

Posted by: Felix ( )
Date: February 03, 2017 01:37AM

We are practicing being adults, or acting like adults. Don't worry, the moderators are watching over us. You are a novermo anyway so you aren't in recovery. Your ok.

Posted by: crunchynevmo ( )
Date: February 03, 2017 10:35PM

Yes, I am a nevermo. And although I have felt like an interloper from time to time, folks on this board have been welcoming and helpful in dealing with the TBM's in my life. I appreciate that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/2017 10:45PM by crunchynevmo.

Posted by: hello nli ( )
Date: February 04, 2017 11:18PM

the mods here are surely the most adult among us, and the best qualified to decide what is and is not appropriate speech on this board. Hats off to the mods!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: February 05, 2017 12:56AM

I'm trying to be good about this but it's really hard.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.