Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: invictus ( )
Date: January 15, 2017 11:46PM

Pretty self explanatory. I got married when I was 20 to someone I barely knew, and then proceeded to drop out of college and have several kids. I was pressured into marriage and having kids and instead of having those years to explore the world and myself as an adult. Now more than a decade later and the stress of my adult life has taken its toll on me. I didn't get to do normal, young adult things like my peers. I'm overwhelmed and tired, frustrated and feeling resentful and bitter. I want to be free as a bird, but no. I'm shackled to what the church has actually always envisioned for me. It was a trick. And I'm pretty angry about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pickleweed ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 12:00AM

I'm so sorry to hear that.
You must feel like you're suffocating, especially if your family are Mormon too. I'm just a convert with a nevermo husband and no kids so I guess its easier for me.
Do you have any non Mormon friends in your neighborhood that you can hang out with? You need to devise some ways to make time for yourself so you can be adventurous and catch up on your missed youth! I think if God is there he knows our hearts and doesn't judge people the way the church does. If I were you, I'd get a babysitter and start leading an exciting double life as a lady of leisure! But that's just silly old me.

I hope you find some way to combat your feelings and cheer up.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 12:12AM

Is there any way that you could take the occasional weekend away from the spouse and kids with some friends? Some ideas include Las Vegas, a spa, golf, a sporting event, a mini cruise, the beach, or what have you. I have a group of friends that I've traveled with in the past, and it's great fun. Another thought is to put yourself on a bus, train, or plane and go visit a friend for a few days. Everyone needs some time off.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 12:39PM

I wish I had an easy answer to putting the past behind and moving on to a better future. I'm sorry to say what's done is done.

You're right mormonism did rob you a happy fulfilling youth. The challenge now is to prevent it from robbing you of your future which is what happens if you dwell on your justified feelings of regret.

Posted by: MandyElle ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:23PM

Start trying new things and see what you like. Go to concerts and take online classes.

Posted by: josephsmithseer ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:24PM

YOU LET THEM DICTATE YOU LIFE

Posted by: will v ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:44PM

No, the church policies dictate our life when active.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 03:12PM

Don't scream if you want anyone to respect you here.

Posted by: YourHeartIsAMuscle ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 03:18PM

That's is victim-blaming. It's not her fault she was brainwashed.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 04:03PM

As a BIC from an extremely TBM family, I never had a chance. The indoctrination and brainwashing runs deep while you are a child and a teen. Very few have the type of personality for the brainwashing to slide right off. That wasn't me.

I never "let" the Mormon church do anything to me. They just did it before I even knew what was happening and then I was told what they were doing was Heavenly Father's loving will. They had me in their clutches from the get go before I even knew who I was or what the other choices really were when not seen through Mormon eyes.

Whenever you realize you have been used and abused, that is the time to start finding your way out, but not the time to start blaming yourself.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:35PM

That's a bummer. The hidden cost of Mormonism is pretty high. Hopefully you'll break the cycle so your kids will reject the cult.

You could think of this as the time to pay it forward. After the kids are grown up, you'll have your life ahead of you.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:36PM

There is this thing. It's called the future. The Mormons don't own your future. Yet.

You may not be able to do much now, but put your frustration into a few good ideas about what and when you want to do in the future. Almost everybody gets a second act. Some of us a third. Your life does not need to remain exactly the same as it is now unless you let it.

In the meantime, while you are feeling trapped, take small steps to increase your power. Find small ways to feel fulfilled what ever that means to you. Do some small things that will let you be independent---someday.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:59PM

Posted by: will v ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 01:39PM

You are not alone. I woke up at 35 and realized the same. It was after had my name removed and my TBM wife divorced me. I married very young and have 4 kids. She married a divorced guy in her ward recently.

I am dating non mormons and have no idea to start. Zero sexual experience with other women. I go from a tbm wife who could care less about sex or orgasm to women that expect it every time.....as they should. But the cult with its sexual repression is disastrous to exmormons who leave. I am lost in dating and it is because me young was stolen. No drinking , no partying , no casual sex and just being young. Nope...mission, marriage, and maybe missionary a few times a month.

Posted by: TXRancher ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 04:20PM

It doesn't take long to figure out, lol. I was like you and in the same situation...and very quickly was enjoying life and understood dating with non-mos. You will, too. And yes the sex is incredible.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 03:15PM

Now it is time to take your power back and own it! When you do that with an attitude of gratitude and appreciation you'll find a whole new future for yourself, that is all about freedom. Time to own you and your life. You can do it.

I get the whole thing: marry young, have a bunch of kids, postpone your education = exhaustion! I was a dedicated temple going, active Mormon for many decades as a young adult convert! It's never totally your life. The expectations are huge. Been there done that.

I set some goals for myself, somewhere along the line. Laughter, being positive, and happy were all in my control. Nobody could take those from me. When I left the LDS Church I took total control and my total freedom back, in my late 50's. I could think, believe, read, and do what I wanted. I could still be me while taking adult education classes, going out into the world in employment, meeting different people with different ideas.

I'm long past those days now and I can attest that my life as a senior, widow is full because I have learned to enjoy life and take my power back and own it. I have some medical issues that limit what I can do physically, however, that does not limit my mind. Not one bit!

I've determined to have a positive attitude. Life is short and for me, getting shorter. I'm happy to wake up and get up every morning, no matter how hard it is to get out of that bed! :-)

My suggestion is that you find something you love to do that is fun, creative, gives you a feeling of accomplishment that is just about you, personally. I have several little hobbies that keep my mind on doing something positive and sharing with my family and friends.

Happiness is an inside job. I believe that wholeheartedly. Find somethings in your life that bring you joy. Maybe it's a child's smile, or their goofy jokes, or how they say silly things. Maybe it's jokes, or cat videos! Find those things, whatever they are and cherish them. I learned to do that, but it took me awhile.

Our lives fall in: Times and Seasons. This is the Season of my senior years. As a widow, I've lived alone for sometimes, however, I have a son here helping me now which was a huge surprise!

People here care! They are full of suggestions often those ideas that worked for them.
Each person has a different perspective and a different World View. And, in my case, as well as many others, that World View has gone through some major changes.

I'm a believer in our lives being full of opportunities. Nothing is a waste. Regrets are self-sabotage.

Find the sunshine, and let it envelop you! :-)

Posted by: Anonymous for this ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 04:18PM

Thank you, SusieQ. Your entire post is wonderful -- beyond wonderful, really.

I spent years being furious at TSCC for everything it robbed me of. I made life choices that, but for TSCC, I would not have made. My life played out in a way that was very difficult and challenging and, at times, very sad, and it seemed life would be very different had I not been forced into certain unchangeable choices at a very young age. I felt cheated, resentful, bitter and angry for years.

I resigned from TSCC, and that helped. It felt like I was taking back my life. However, I continued to feel angry, resentful and depressed that I had been the victim of a religion that turned out to be a fabricated and very cruel joke.

Ultimately, however, something very drastic happened in my life that showed me there was absolutely no point in continuing to be angry, resentful and a victim.

Life truly is short. Shockingly short. What is the point of being here if we're not savoring it?

This phrase of yours, in particular, SusieQ, is a keeper: "Laughter, being positive, and happy were all in my control. Nobody could take those from me."

Amen.

With respect to the OP, I totally feel your pain. Been there. Done that. However, it helps to realize, what is done, is done. You have the life you have. You're not going to go back to age 19 and single. You have to go on from here.

SusieQ's suggestions are excellent. Print out her post and read it every day. Get in touch with what brings you joy. Find something pleasurable to do -- even if it's only for 15 minutes each day to start. Try meditation. It's done wonders for me.

And, each day -- consider the alternative. Death for most people is not very attractive. But, each day brings us closer to it. It's always closer than we like to think. Whatever there is (if anything) beyond this life, we have no idea what that is or might be. We only have this life, this planet and this day. Fill your heart with gratitude for all that you have, for the beauty of the planet and for your existence on it.

Make each day a happy one. It's really a choice. You can do it!!!

Posted by: invictus ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 04:18PM

Thanks for your wise words.. they've given me a needed change in perspective. I think I'm over my adult temper tantrum and in a better state of mind. Need to make small goals and take it one day at a time.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: January 16, 2017 04:33PM

I married when I was 15. I had my first child when I was 16; second at 17; third at 18 and last child at 23. I was fortunate to be able to stay home and raise them but found myself divorced at 29. I then had 4 kids and no education or job experience. I got my GED and a Registered Dental Assistant certificate. I was very lucky to have found Mister Wonderful and married about 3 years later. I then went back to college and got the education I'd missed earlier.

He had 3 kids and so we had a house full much of the time. But time flew by and the kids were soon off to college, etc. What came next has got to have been so much better than any years of my youth that I gave up.

We aren't poor. We are healthy. We have jobs we enjoy that offer the flexibility to travel and do nearly anything we want.

For me, the trade off of being a free adult beats anything I would have been doing as a young adult.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.