Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:49AM

Saw something quite interesting on the road today. Big black "compensation truck" (you know what I'm saying), with a chrome Jesus fish on the tailgate.

But that wasn't all. There were also two bumper stickers, which looked like they'd been privately commissioned by a church or individual.

One said, "The Bible makes the best people. - Thomas Jefferson". The other said, "If the earth is your mother, I WALK on your mother."

I think we can surmise a few things about this person from their vehicle and its displays:

1) They believe they are a better person than most of the rest of us.

2) The are perfectly comfortable denigrating anyone else's belief system, or taking quotes totally out of context which seem to uphold their own belief system, and therefore have a very casual relationship with fact.

3) They are a judgmental a-hole, totally at odds with the belief system they purport to uphold.

Okay, okay, I know the usual suspects will probably try to lecture me, stating "not all Christians are like this". The problem is, those of you Christians who *aren't* like this do precious little to reign in the a-holes among you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:58AM

Hate to put it this way, but Christians are each responsible for their own actions. No way to reign in the a-holes. No love-bombing!

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:34PM

aint gonna happen.... but as for the urban assault vehicle... i agree... pompous self righteous nutjob aaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssssssholeeee

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 01:35PM by bignevermo.

Posted by: honestone ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:03AM

helamonster, how can we reign in the crazies. I do not worship with crazies. You can't possibly expect us to go out and call all the nutcases on all the things they do. That is totally absurd. But you can try. I prefer to just be with those who enjoy the kind of worship service I enjoy on Sun.- if I go. I prefer to let others be since I don't claim to KNOW what all they believe. Now if someone gets in my face...well, then I will react. Oh, and I don't see these people through the week that I worship with - hardly ever- like Mormons do. We don't hound each other to do more or show up to this or that and we don't denigrate others. We mind our own business and are not judgemental. Please do not lump all Christians together.

Posted by: helamonster ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:14AM

probably won't do anything about their conduct, but at least it makes *you* consistent with the morals you claim to have.

Posted by: Devorah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:32AM

Actually, the procedure generally is to privately talk to them without loud shouting and pointing of fingers. I mean, it'd really suck if someone made a big federal case out of it every time I screwed something up. I know we belonged to a church that did do the federal case thing, but that's actually not scriptural, and it's annoying and embarrasing, and perhaps even a reason several people on this site left that church in the first place.
May I suggest, if something someone does pisses you off, you ask them why they do it, or maybe make a (realistic) suggestion as to a different way to approach the situation. ("Blow it out your ass" would mostly not get the desired result, just sayin')

Date: May 16, 2011 09:30AM

+1

Posted by: snb ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:09AM

I love it when a Christian puts their religion on their vehicle. I guess it didn't mean much to begin with.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:36AM

Just saying.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 02:36AM

You know, referring to SOME but not all sort of thing?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 03:04AM

I can understand your annoyance at such things, but to claim that all liberal Christians should rein in those with differing opinions is just as wrong as someone who takes quotes out of context. Don't negate your argument by acting like those you abhor.

Date: May 16, 2011 04:59AM

Then I think they would want to get together and have a unified message.

Otherwise, what message should I believe? It seems the message as described on those bumper stickers are as valid a Christian idea as any.

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 06:07AM

MJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Then I think they would want to get together and
> have a unified message.
>
> Otherwise, what message should I believe? It seems
> the message as described on those bumper stickers
> are as valid a Christian idea as any.

Are you so ignorent of Christian history that you don't realize that the REASON there are so many Christian denominations is because they all didn't agree to believe exactly the same thing? So, how exactly could there be a "unifed message". Get real. You are an American, so I guess there is one American unifed message that everyone agrees on?

Right....and all atheists are the same, and all Jews are the same, and all blacks are the same, and all Mexican are the same...so all Christians must be the same.

Date: May 16, 2011 06:53AM

The reasons for why they disagree have nothing to do with the point I am making.

If Christians can't agree on what Christianity means, FOR WHAT EVER REASON, It seems the message as described on those bumper stickers are as valid a Christian idea as any. If there is no agreement on what Christianity is, FOR WHAT EVER REASON, then who is to say that a particular Christian view is wrong, crazy or un-Christian?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 06:55AM by MJ.

Date: May 16, 2011 09:32AM

Go Raven.....I agree totally.

Date: May 16, 2011 09:44AM

There is a difference between Atheists and the religions listed however.

Atheism is a lack of belief. Trying to claim that they would have a belief system in common is like saying people should have a belief system in common because they don't believe in Santa Clause. The same sort of case could be made for Blacks and Mexicans.

But believing in a God that has dictated rules to live by and preached from a single source, the Bible, well, one would think that should give lots and lots of commonalty, not differences.

Atheists, blacks and Mexicans have no such book as the Bible, Koran or Torah that would give them anything other than their lack of belief in God, their race or Nationality in common.

So, I would expect for atheists, blacks and Mexicans to have little in common with each other, while I would expect people that believed in the Bible to have quite a bit in Common. Judging by the response on this board and other evidence I have observed though out my life, it seems the Bible is not the unifying text I would have thought it to be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/16/2011 09:49AM by MJ.

Date: May 16, 2011 01:27PM

Do you agree with the general message that Christianity is akin to bedlam, or do you agree with the idea that MJ doesn't know history?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 06:12AM

Do you try to reign in every last person who annoys you? Luck with that.

Date: May 16, 2011 06:58AM

It would seem to me that people following the word of god would be at least a little closer together on what that entails. That is, IF they are truly following the word of a God.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 07:01AM

If the Mormons can't reign in people like Glenn Beck, then I doubt other Christians could reign in an obnoxious guy in a big truck.

Date: May 16, 2011 01:28PM

Incredibly well put :)

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 08:52AM

There is also the fact that people have a right to put whatever they want on their cars and trucks. Lots of bumper stickers annoy me, but that doesn't mean I have to speak out against them all.Aside from the fact that it is none of my business, I have a life and don't have the time to make a big deal everytime someone disagrees with me. Personally, I find some political statements much more annoying.People have a right to their beliefs so long as they aren't hurting others.

Date: May 16, 2011 01:31PM

I don't think that's a fair thing to say.

Lots of different people speak out about different things for lots of different reasons. You, and I, and everybody else complains about things as or more petty than this.

It isn't any of your business when you reply to something I say, but you reply because it is out in the open. It is usually in reply to something I replied to, and it was out in the open. When a person puts their religion on their vehicle...it's out in the open.

Just saying, we all suffer from the same malady in this case.

Posted by: FreeRose ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 09:43AM

1) They believe they are a better person than most of the rest of us.

So do Mormons.

2) The are perfectly comfortable denigrating anyone else's belief system, or taking quotes totally out of context which seem to uphold their own belief system, and therefore have a very casual relationship with fact.

So do Mormons. All other churches are an abomination. Picking and choosing New Testament scripture to prove their weird doctrines.

3) They are a judgmental a-hole, totally at odds with the belief system they purport to uphold.

So are Mormons. They judge people worthy, tell lies to get people to join their cult, do MLM scams, get caught in sex scandals, etc.

Posted by: laluna ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:01PM

Self-righteousness comes in all shades. I know self-righteous liberals, conservatives, christians, mormons, atheists etc. I am pretty good at tolerating all of them. Especially if it is confined to bumper stickers, wall plaques, and facebook posts.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:04PM

First: My Yorkie is smarter than your honor student. (My daughter gave me that one.

Second: Jesus, save me from your followers!

:D

Posted by: bignevermo ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:43PM

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:06PM

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:11PM

And here it is:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lifeontheedge/569902816/in/photostream/

Tacky? Sacreligious? Offensive? Or funny as Hell?

Posted by: piper ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:15PM

as they cut you off in rush hour traffic, right??

There is one "Christian" church in particular around here whose members seem to act horrible and self righteous. I have yet to meet one person who attends that church who acts like a decent human being. Usually you see them tearing down the road with a sticker on their window from that church. You almost know before they pass you that you are going to see that church sticker, giant gas hog vehicle who drives like a bat out of hell. lol

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:22PM

That's because he was a speeder and didn't want to advertise his faith with his bad habit. He would also joke; "We must obey God's laws, not man's, right?"

I think a good sense of humor is the most holy thing there is. ;)

Posted by: The Motrix ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:40PM

Haha. I love that the Christians always try to steal the founding fathers.
I guess this fellow hasn't heard of the Jefferson Bible where Thomas Jefferson took out all references to everything supernatural.

Posted by: outofutah ( )
Date: May 16, 2011 01:58PM

You haven't noted your personal belief system (I can venture a guess by the 'tone' of your post), but what are you doing to reign in the jerks among whatever group you are a part of? Frankly, I see more offensive bumper stickers on the bumpers of cars driven by atheistic vulgar people with obviously no religious beliefs than anything else.

I'm thinking you were jesting with your post?

out

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.